IGNORED

Buying Hi Res audio... is it true Hi Res?

Hi everyone, 

I usually purchase my Hi Res files from a couple of well established websites. 

Lately I  tried to verify the files I bought using Spek. 

Spek will show you the spectrogram of the files and the frequencies that are populated. I did that because I read about a lot of "fake" hi res being sold and so I wanted to check myself. 

I made some research online and found that Spek was the good way to go. So I downloaded the software and made a couple of test. 

Very annoying results..

I tested the "Live in Hamburg" album from Esbjorn Svensson Trio, which I purchased in FLAC 24/96 format. 

When I analysed the spectrogram of each track, I could not find anything above 22khz, which tells me this is a 44.1Khz file, or maybe a 48khz if I want to be an optimist...

I am not questioning the quality of the recording here, what I am questioning is the real format vs what is sold and advertised. 

If I knew this album was a 44.1 khz, then I would have bought the physical CD and rip by myself, or I would have bought a FLAC 16/44 download saving money and HD space.

HAs anyone made any check on your purchased HI Res files? 

01 Dating (Live).png

1_4_EST_From-Gagarins-Point-of-You-_AIFF VERSION.png

02 Somewhere Else Before (Live).png

03 The Rube Thing (Live).png

04 From Gagarin's Point of You (Live)..png

05 The Wraith (Live).png

06 Providence (Live).png

07 Good Morning Susie Soho (Live).png

08 The Chapel (Live).png

09 Bowling (Live).png

10 The Second Page (Live).png

11 Dodge the Dodo (Live).png

On 5/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, ale76 said:

Hi everyone, 

I usually purchase my Hi Res files from a couple of well established websites. 

Lately I  tried to verify the files I bought using Spek. 

Spek will show you the spectrogram of the files and the frequencies that are populated. I did that because I read about a lot of "fake" hi res being sold and so I wanted to check myself. 

I made some research online and found that Spek was the good way to go. So I downloaded the software and made a couple of test. 

Very annoying results..

I tested the "Live in Hamburg" album from Esbjorn Svensson Trio, which I purchased in FLAC 24/96 format. 

When I analysed the spectrogram of each track, I could not find anything above 22khz, which tells me this is a 44.1Khz file, or maybe a 48khz if I want to be an optimist...

I am not questioning the quality of the recording here, what I am questioning is the real format vs what is sold and advertised. 

If I knew this album was a 44.1 khz, then I would have bought the physical CD and rip by myself, or I would have bought a FLAC 16/44 download saving money and HD space.

HAs anyone made any check on your purchased HI Res files? 

01 Dating (Live).png

1_4_EST_From-Gagarins-Point-of-You-_AIFF VERSION.png

02 Somewhere Else Before (Live).png

03 The Rube Thing (Live).png

05 The Wraith (Live).png

06 Providence (Live).png

07 Good Morning Susie Soho (Live).png

08 The Chapel (Live).png

09 Bowling (Live).png

10 The Second Page (Live).png

11 Dodge the Dodo (Live).png

Where did you buy this? 

Qobuz sells it only in CD quality and Highresaudio that typically has all ACT Highres releases doesn’t even feature it. 

22 hours ago, ale76 said:

@Musicophile my mistake, I meant “Live in Gothenburg” as per the screenshots and I purchased that on HRA

Interesting, I don't own Gotheburg, but based on this I just checked the supposedly 24/96 album of Live in London, purchased from Qobuz. 

Clearly 24/48 at best, as seen on the Musicscope plot below. 

Maybe ACT have an issue with their EST live releases?

In any case, I'll try if I get my money back from Qobuz, HRA should be able to do the same.

01-01-E_S_T-Tide_of_Trepidation_Live-SMR.m4a_report.thumb.png.bf42babfe9d62907b1f706f7c5baa5d8.png

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Maybe ACT have an issue with their EST live releases?

Maybe.. I sent them 2 emails but I did not receive any feedback yet. 

What I received is something from HRA, the MusicScope analysis of the "Live in Gothenburg" album. 

According to their charts, there is some minimal content above 24khz. 

The same can be seen in the Sonic VIsualizer graph while Audacity and Spek do not show anything above that frequency

Music Scope.png

Sonic Visualizer.jpg

04 From Gagarin's Point of You (Live)_ORiginal HRA 2020-05-29 23-47-05.jpg

10 hours ago, ale76 said:

Maybe.. I sent them 2 emails but I did not receive any feedback yet. 

What I received is something from HRA, the MusicScope analysis of the "Live in Gothenburg" album. 

According to their charts, there is some minimal content above 24khz. 

The same can be seen in the Sonic VIsualizer graph while Audacity and Spek do not show anything above that frequency

Music Scope.png

Sonic Visualizer.jpg

04 From Gagarin's Point of You (Live)_ORiginal HRA 2020-05-29 23-47-05.jpg

I’ll reach out to Qobuz customer service in the next days. Let me see what they say.