IGNORED

Best Album Sides Ever

Back in the 1960's & 70's a lot of people would buy 45's instead of lps, because in their words "there's only one good song on it." Whether they actually heard the whole album or made that  inference based on the often poor choice for the 45's B side, or simply were biased against shelling more out for the whole LP, is in question. Not all B sides were bad however. I think I read where the song White Christmas was a B side, later changed to the main side when it started selling like hot cakes on its way to becoming the best selling song of all time. There are few albums you can think of though that don't have at least a few "filler" tracks and not quite up to the quality of the rest of the album. What somewhat lesser known albums or cds have a side that is truly classic meaning just amazing musically that makes buying it a no brainer whether the rest is great or not? Nominate your best sides ever and mention whether it is the first or second half.

But which side I asked? They're both dark sides on the LP. A good choice, even though it is hardly a "lesser known" album. It has the record for being on Billboards top  albums more years than any other. I played this album too many times in my teens. Eventually got tired of it. After not hearing it for 30 years it sounded fresher.Thanks.

My favorite part of Darkside is the where all the bells go off and the track that immediately follows. The lyrics of that song are by far  the most quoted.. About someone wasting their time until its too late. Foolish to waste your time or money. I try not to waste mine. On a good system you can hear the mechanisms turning clear as  ever among all the bells and the chiming. That's the neatest part of the album for me. Money and Us and Them are good on side 2  but I don't know if I ever need hear those again for the thousandth and one time. I think Wish You Were Here is becoming peoples favorite recording by them. The side long instrumental on Meddle is a favorite. Back in the early 1980's when VHS tapes were just starting to catch on, someone made a commercially available music video tape of that side long song set to a visual of ocean turbulence. My local video store sold me the copy since it didn't rent much. Some people like to listen to DSOTM in sync with a certain movie. Anyone know which one? Or does everyone know that one? Pink Floyd music is a Laserium favorite & their shows were known for amazing visuals. What is it about Floyd music and so many visuals? 

I asked for "lesser known" albums that have one of the best album sides you can think of. Here is an example that I might have given before elsewhere.

Poco Seven by the group Poco; side 2. Comprised of 4 or 5 songs. This somewhat obscure group has a long discography. Their record label knows they are really good. Their only really commercially successful album was "Legend" with a hit single. But they do have a cult following. I have 10 of their albums; I don't even think I have ten albums by either the Beatles or the Stones. Country influenced soft rock by one of the best groups there is.

Can you think of any great album sides from somewhat lesser known groups?