IGNORED

DIY job to upgrade 2-way passive speakers to DSP active - with HQPlayer doing DSP crossover and DRC

Hi all

I'm doing a side project to convert some old 2-way passive speakers into DSP active speakers.

But the total hardware budget (i.e. excluding DSP software) is USD$400. It's more of a fun learning exercise but would also be a big bonus if they sounded great.

I already use @Miska's HQPlayer and will use Audiolense or Acourate to generate the required FIR filter files (thanks to @mitchco very useful tips and guides on these).

Can anyone suggest a good solution of hardware that will allow me to have HQPlayer handle both DSP crossover and digital room EQ?

So I'm looking for a combination of DSP board + 4 x DACS + 4 x Amps

I've seen the HiFiBerry Beocreate 4 but I can't work out the pathway for HQPlayer to send the 4 channels audio to the 4 respective DACs. I think with the Beocreate 4 you need to use the SigmaStudio software for DSP crossover.

I'm open to other hardware solutions if anyone can recommend options.

Total hardware budget (DSP board + 4 x DACS + 4 x Amps) is USD$400 though.

I should ask, @Miska can HQP OS (and NAA image) send 4 channel audio to a common AV Receiver (like current model Denons)?

Like the Up Board Gateway running HQP OS as NAA, using HDMI output to AVR.

And use Audiolense and HQPlayer with an AVR to do DSP crossover with a 2-way speaker?

Just one potential point. Marantz pure direct (which I bet is the same as Denon) does not bypass internal DSP. Only the analog multichannel inputs do so. You can set other inputs for full range speakers and avoid internal DSP and crossovers, but not because of pure direct. 

You may want to consider the miniDSP u-DAC8 as a MCH USB DAC for your project, at $255. You can use it for your AL measurements as well. JCR 

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, DigiPete said:

@asdf1000, did you get any experiences with the Beocreate 4?

Hi @DigiPete

For the cost I decided it was better to put this cost to a much more capable DSP solution...

I used existing AVR (which features 8 channel 'EXT IN' and Pure Direct Mode).

And purchased 10 channels Focusrite 18i20 Gen3 interface and purchased Audiolense XO license.

Much happier and don't have any DSP limitations.

The HiFiBerry solution is compact but significantly limited for my use for USD400.

Maybe the next gen HiFiBerry solution will allow easy loading of FIR filters with more power.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, LewinskiH01 said:

The budget is a challenge, of course. I would think something like the Hypex FUSIONAMP FA122 would be part of the solution, but the total package would exceed your budget.

That's pretty good but I wish it had 2 x seperate analogue inputs (2 x XLR)

One XLR to one amp and separate XLR to 2nd amp. This would by-pass their compulsory DSP crossover using Hypex software.

There is the 250W single amp option but i'd need 2 , per speaker.

I guess one could put 4 of those inside one big box. Would probably need active cooling inside for 4 x 250W amps in one box.

Current solution works really nicely, using "EXT IN" of multichannel AVR in pure direct, there's 8 x 100W amps to use. Rated for 4ohms also.

Newer AVRs don't feature this kind of multichannel analogue input. 

And unfortunately limited to unbalanced input. But fortunnately there's no ground loop noise heard.

This particular system is not used for critical listening.

It's more my experimental system for learning about DSP crossover and room correction, for when I build some serious DSP speakers soon.

That's why I wanted to keep the budget down too. Current solution has worked really well for learning purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

For ~$125, you can get an Octo 6 in - 8 out ADC-DAC hat and a 4 gig Raspberry Pi 4 to wear it.  Buy 2 little class D stereo amps for $50 to $60 each and you’re ready to rock.  You can find the Octo and a huge assortment of amps on Amazon and eBay. I haven’t used HQP, so I can’t offer advice on that - but I have built a Pi crossover with an Octo card, and it works great.

A web search will bring you many options.  Here are some examples:

https://www.instructables.com/Raspberry-Pi-Music-Server-With-Built-in-Crossover-/

https://therationalaudiophile.wordpress.com/2018/02/17/active-crossover-with-raspberry-pi/

https://rtaylor.sites.tru.ca/2013/06/25/digital-crossovereq-with-open-source-software-howto/

https://t-5.eu/hp/Software/Pulseaudio Crossover Rack/