IGNORED

You Know You Really Have Something When Your Stereo....?

5 hours ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

FLOOR TO CEILING IMAGING

I started a thread on that some time ago.

BIG BASS

I have a full range speakers but what is more important to me is what you call 'bass openness' and I call bass speed, the 'go and stop factor' with ability to resolve bass textures and detail. I would always sacrifice low end extension for this. I'm very happy my current speakers do both but many are surprised how 'little' bass my two 60kg subs with 13in drivers produce..

little echoes

Reverb to put it simply. For me it's also a question of air around instruments. Their own acoustic space.

Next come:

Sounstaging - the depth factor (ability to hear the sounds coming from the places 20m behind speakers line), width (also the aspect of sounstage reaching outside the speakers) and sounstaging precision.

Timbral truth and richness (how different timbrally is Cannonball's alto from Trane's tenor or different drums of a drum set or different violins, pianos etc and do they sound like a tenor, alt, etc).

Rhythmic ability - not only bass speed but also in general the 'speed' of system's sound.

The question of transients, micro and macro dynamics.

Detail. Smooth, not tiresome detail (e.g. making differences between 16bit and hi res source materials obvious).

The ability to create the illusion of physical presence of real instruments in (or outside actually) the listening room.

Think I have listed the most important things.