IGNORED

You Know You Really Have Something When Your Stereo....?

51 minutes ago, SJK said:

Only have two ears, dude! 

Multi-channel makes for an interesting effect, but, to be provocative, that's exactly what is - an effect.  

Oh yeah, I remember SQ Quadraphonic. 

Edit:  Is that a Goorin Bros. fedora?  Maybe we need another forum.

Now you're in for it. Tell him why it doesn't matter that he only has two ears, Kal. I'll watch from behind a tree.

6 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Y'know, Andy, I am fed up with that tired and ignorant canard.  It no longer deserves comment.

I know how you feel.

Fortunately, there's this. At RMAF 2018, Kal and I (and Brian Moura of Native DSD) participated in a seminar on multichannel for interpid audiophiles. Here's the link:

54 minutes, you say? What else do you have to do?....

33 minutes ago, SJK said:

I don't think there's any right or wrong in how anyone would like to experience music playback in their home.  

I grew up with two channel, and quite frankly that's all I know. 

I do recall visiting with a friend who had installed a multi-channel setup and unfortunately insisted on playing it painfully loud.  It may have had positive attributes, but once you hit the "I'm going deaf over here" threshold it isn't music anymore.

With all the time and effort I've given towards a two channel soundstage with accurate positioning of time, space and depth of the recording I have absolutely no idea of how to even begin with a multi-channel setup.  

Perhaps you could write an article that you could share with us?

In closing, and certainly not music related, any man who wears a Goorin Bros. fedora is a man who knows what matters.  

Kal had a column called "Music in the Round" for 16 years in Stereophile. You can read many of them on the Stereophile web site for free—KR "retired" from producing the column after 100 installments last Fall. And do have a look at the video, linked above—Kal specifically addresses the "two ears" canard.