IGNORED

Would These 3 Vintage "Best" Speakers Still Be Contenders Today?

1 hour ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

I bought the Walsh speakers used from a local guy who was raising money to help his elderly father. Being used speakers, I paid around half of their original list price which was around $900 when they first came out, and then the price went up significantly as time went on. They must have been in production for more than a decade, as a store in Washington which sold new equip.only had them playing on display around 1990. I have noticed that the price on the used market for these seem to have climbed a bit also lately. The guy also threw in some 4 inch high wood stands he made for them which increased image height and prevented the output from the  bass port on the bottom from going directly into the carpet. One thing I failed to mention in my first description is that in addition to the Walsh speakers being known for their great boxless imaging, they also sound very seamless and effortless, even though this follow up model to the famous Ohm F Walsh speaker does have a crossover.

Quite pricy given your claim that $100-$200 could get you flat to 30Hz back in the day :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

What I said (to refresh your memory) or you can go back to the beginning of this thread and see for yourself, is that as a teenager back in the 1970s, one had a choice of spending $100 and getting a decent bookshelf speaker without much bass extension or saving an extra $100 and getting a much more exciting speaker with deep bass and a bigger sound. So "$200" was the the magic number back then: NOT $100.

Your choices back then around $100 were usually something like EPI 100's on sale, or various Jensen models, KLH, etc. If you could go to an extra $100( or around it) or somewhere in between those 2 amounts, SOME SPEAKERS could get you 30hz. response. NOT ALL SSPEAKERS, BUT SOME. There were models from Synergistics, KLH, TSI , etc. The Ohm Walsh 2,  which Didn't even come out anywhere near the 1970's, it was still the Ohm models A and F back then; the Ohm Walsh 2, when it did come out, already nearing 1990 was not just any speaker and one would not buy the Walsh 2 for bass extension. You bought it for giving you at least a taste of the unique room filling, disappearing  imaging act of the original famous Ohm F Walsh Driver, but with better efficiency, reliability, and a sense of seamlesness etc. NO, NOT EVERY SPEAKER YOU SAW in the later 1970s had 30 Hz. bass response for $200 a pair retail, but some did and not that uncommonly. Even though there could be an occasional weird exception to the rule today; when someone thinks " speakers that will get me 30 hz. bass response without the potential synergy problems with subwoofing, people are picturing in their minds thousands of dollars because that's usually the case, although I'm sure there could be some exceptions for a bit less. But generally nowadays we are talking thousands of dollars.

I do think that because of improved midrange and tweeters and the fact that the midrange performance is the most important thing about a speaker, quite a few of today's speakers on the whole, are actually pretty good for the money in that way. For the equivalent of $200 back then, lets say $700 retail price today, there are many speakers that have really nice midrange and highs; just Don't expect 30hz. bass response to come with it at that price.

Um, ok. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, GregWormald said:

As a psychotherapist/trainer of 40 years—

Doctors of any genre are also high in the suicide stats. Dealing with people in dire straits is hard, and the stresses do add up. Except in social work, peer support is generally not automatic, so without care the stresses can be fatal.😔

Yes. Just lost a family friend who was a therapist, this year.