IGNORED

Would These 3 Vintage "Best" Speakers Still Be Contenders Today?

1 hour ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

In a lengthy interview, long time New York City Audio Salon owner Andy Singer whose audio business goes back over 40 years said that the vintage Snell type A speaker of the 1980s vintage is one of the greatest speakers of all time.

That assertion is usually attributed to Peter Qvortrup - now of Audio Note. I have read that of his repute, and he has said it to me in personal e-mail conversations. He says "best 3-way speaker ever". Actually with the super-tweeter it's 4-way. I don't use the super-tweeter.

1 hour ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

Anyone familiar enough with this speaker to confirm or refute his opinion?

My hand is very definitely raised. When I was a young man in the 1980s, commuting into The City (of London) I used to read Hi-Fi magazines to pass the journey - barely dreaming of owning a pair of these. In 2002 I had to sell everything I owned including all my personal, babied, mint vinyl records. From what money I could salvage, I bought a few CDs so that at least I could listen to Jackson Browne on the computer. Used to use Firewire then - and still loathe USB. As soon as I could, I bought a pair of Snell Type A III in beautiful condition from a guy called Frank on Audiogon. I stored them carefully under tarp, waiting to build a system at the front end of them. I think maybe Frank knew the woofer foam surrounds were on their way. No Matter. I got them done by an old school guy in Romford. I'd write a more detailed account but my main PC isn't handy. More later perhaps. I had to get the mids done too a few years later - by another competent technician. That involved the rancid task of removing the cloth on the upper chambers. You can't get the cloths back on without significant trouble and, anyway, they wouldn't be the same. Peter Q says the Snell Type A are better without the cloth (SQ-wise) and thought my Type A III looked "agricultural" without the grilles. I agree! I'd post pics but not possible right now - but see e.g. here. My system is pretty balanced now (see signature), and I maintain as I have always done, that I will keep my Snell Type A III for life. I love these speakers. They don't produce sound - they produce wind. I am a thrill seeker who gets so much out of somatic music - especially up tempo and swing and rockabilly. The Snell Type A III can do anything. They have always kept up with my front end. They are just the business. Did I say I love them. One could carp, and say that foam (not cone or driver!) replacement affects the factory tuning associated so famously with these speakers - but I can't say I've noticed. They are brutally forward with digits you could also say [open baffle?] - but now that my system is tamed from such long investment of time, money, imagination and engineering dedication, I can't imagine needing or wanting anything else. Peter Q owns 4 pairs or something like that. I have told him mine are the most cherished and conscientiously-maintained in the world. Aside from foam replacement, I keep them structurally sound myself. I do wonder about cap investigation. No rush. Did I say I love my Snell Type A III. A bit of a stream of consciousness I know. I'd write a better account with my usual amenities. Thanks for asking.

Qvortrup holding forth recently - on his overarching audio approach beginning with Peter Snell, "compromises", and the Type A speaker. Moves on to his usual prejudices including digits etc. Very fitting viewing for this Forum. Peter Q is a dreadful name-dropper - and a pita salesman. But one can hardly deny that he's a thought-provoking entertainer ...

It's the original Linn Kan that was/is legendary. I had a pair of black Kan II at one time, but the original tan Kan were the Holy Grail. iirc the guys at the Sound Organisation in York would take Kans if they couldn't have Isobariks. The Kans insisted on a good front end / LP12 turntable. Horrible otherwise. The remark about acoustic guitar is funny/great - I remember the demo music the Linn dealers used to play on repeat - my name is Luka and I live on the second floor ...

Oh probably some combination of:

- not all changes are for the better;

- some models of this and that are just classics;

- manufacturers can't always preserve pros when contriving the pros and cons of a new incarnation - I posted a video already in this thread of Peter Q talking about "everything in audio is a compromise".

- as well as the truth strewn in them, legends are self-sustaining viscous spirals.

There's a tonnage of reading material on the 'net about Linn Kan I, and for that matter the BBC/Rogers LS3/5A.

I don't believe there is a better Snell Type A than the Type A III - and my particular pair is the world's best anyway.

I also declare myself free from all manner of subjective bias.

Last night I, my wife and two lodgers enjoyed a near-perfect rendition of "The Wall" [Pink Floyd of course] thru my Snell Type A III. I have never heard them sing like this. We read a Wiki Plot Summary etc on "The Wall" before we started and at the turn of every [cf. vinyl] Side (3 breaks). The conversation was amazing - approaching a peak musical experience. Psychological and spiritual significance of those bricks, the building of The Wall - to completion actually, the isolation and darkness within, the inevitable verdict on self (presumes survival) - and the freedom following "exposure before your peers". I am/was a career psychologist, but everyone had something to say, and we are all spiritual equals, No? Used to think "The Wall" was just about rebellious school kids. What has this to do with vintage speakers? Well - I know. Maybe you do too 😉

42 minutes ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

I do not understand your last statement; your abstract way of expressing yourself puts me in mind of a reviewer at 6 Moons Audio, who goes on about everything under the sun during an equipment review and after 6 excruciating pages and 100 paragraphs of taking up peoples time he finally gets down to it and writes a paragraph about how the subject of the review actually sounds. This is not a criticism of you, but just something that I am reminded of. 

You claim to be a psychiatrist and I have no reason to doubt it (or believe it). I am a General Semantics expert, which has much to do with psychiatry and peoples emotional reactions to symbols (usually meaning words). There is one thing I always wanted to ask if you are truly a psychologist. Psychiatrists are supposed to be in the practice of making people better adjusted and happy, and yet they themselves (at least in the U.S.) as an occupational group, always seem to have among the highest rate of taking their own lives; which certainly is not well adjusted or happiness oriented at all! If there is anything in the world crazier or more contradictory than this, I do not know what it could be. What says you?

I was an academic psychologist - not a psychiatrist. And I don't feel criticised.

The paradox you speak of is well-known and fascinating. It would hardly be surprising to understand that people aware of an "emptiness" in themselves might pursue psychology-related careers - or helping services such as Samaritans / counselling etc. Probably trying to find answers. Also - someone who has successfully navigated any problem is infinitely better placed to help someone else facing a matching challenge than a person without relevant experience. This implies that there are "lost" and "found" instances of professional and unpaid helpers - and one is vastly preferred to the other. That is my answer to your question. I dare say this conversation is now straying beyond the Thread and the Forum.

The wide open baffle of the upper chamber has a lot to do with what makes the Type A so awesome.

And yeah - shipping of these monsters a nightmare. In the vid. above Peter Q talks about taking away his first pair in his car - no room for the packing crates - and the toll on his car. Fortunately I had a van.

Just would mention too - you can smell these speakers when you walk into the room. Vintage wood. Truly lovely.