IGNORED

Is it possible with standard stereo to hear sounds behind you?

5 hours ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

I was wondering if this is actually possible, or just a figment of his "mind." Without getting into complex discussions about phase etc. and everything which might give some of us a headache, is this possible? Have you ever experienced this in a standard 2 channel setup playing standard stereo vinyl? If so please give the title, the artist and track. If you have experienced this on a CD, you can be more specific still, and give the title, the track and the exact time of the track that this occurs on your system.

Well, phase is certainly an issue here but, in general, it is possible for it to occur under certain conditions that relate to all the matters you list but, in addition, it would also depend on the listening setup (speakers and MLP) and all the variables of room acoustics.  IMHO, it would represent an anomaly. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

24 minutes ago, edn4x4 said:

Thanks @Kal Rubinson.

Here is where you can start:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amused_to_Death

It’s been a while since I read up on q sound, but there are a few more albums that used it.  I don’t think I have any of them so I cannot comment.

If your system is dialed in, putting Amused to Death will put you in a surround sound setting that you would swear is coming from a surround sound setup not a two channels.  I have the HD Tracks Hires release.  

Yes, it really works but the multichannel version (both DSF) is miles ahead on the surround "effects" as well as in overall transparency.

Kal Rubinson

15 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

With binaural recordings and 2 channel, I get the full 360 (above sides behind) experience in my system.  I've found that depth (including behind the listener) is the most sensitive and fleeting attribute as I tweak my system, so it is something I key on when tweaking for transparency.  When things are dialed in and with the right recording, spatial resolution and sound stage behind me is about 80-90% of what I get in front of me.

That's weird.  Is that soundstage behind you ambiance or instruments/performers?

17 minutes ago, ray-dude said:

All that being said, I've been accumulating a lot of awesome multi-channel content, anticipating rebuilding my surround setup at some point (thank you for the inspiration @Kal Rubinson!)

Welcome aboard.

Kal Rubinson