IGNORED

Is it possible with standard stereo to hear sounds behind you?

With binaural recordings and 2 channel, I get the full 360 (above sides behind) experience in my system.  I've found that depth (including behind the listener) is the most sensitive and fleeting attribute as I tweak my system, so it is something I key on when tweaking for transparency.  When things are dialed in and with the right recording, spatial resolution and sound stage behind me is about 80-90% of what I get in front of me.

I do have single driver high efficiency speakers (Voxativ 9.87's with 4D drivers) being driven directly from a Chord DAVE DAC, so I have the advantage of point source speakers and no amp/crossovers in the chain, so definitely an atypical setup!

All that being said, I've been accumulating a lot of awesome multi-channel content, anticipating rebuilding my surround setup at some point (thank you for the inspiration @Kal Rubinson!)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That's weird.  Is that soundstage behind you ambiance or instruments/performers?

Mainly ambiance (room, cathedral, club, etc.) although occasionally a church organ is behind the microphone.  For artificial stuff (like having 2 people in front and 2 people behind the recording head), the effect is very very clear, but obviously not musical.

For me, it is the ambiance and sense of being in the physical space of the performance that I really appreciate the most.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers