IGNORED

New Old Server

1 hour ago, Neccros said:

Hi,

New here...  Had some spare PC parts and wanted to build a tiny music server. Nothing high dollar or fancy, just the basics to play audio file over my network to a DAC. 

Currently specs are a Asrock (forgot model) ITX motherboard, Socket 1155 i3-3220T (35W TDP), 16 gigs of DDR3, 500 gig NVMe connected to a PCIe adapter. All in a Streacom F1CWS Evo chassis with a Mini-Box 150W Pico PSU. Even with the CPU fan, its absolutely dead silent due to the BIOS settings allowing me to step the fan down to almost nothing. 

My issue is what to run on it. Goal is to plug it into my audio setup and controlling it w/o needing a TV or monitor. Completely headless using a phone/tablet or a Harmony remote.

Is this possible?  I have yet to decide on the OS since I have no clue if this will even work.

Open to suggestions or recommendations. Free is best, but might consider paid applications if they will do what I am trying to do. 

Thanks

Not 100% sure what u mean by "what to run on it".

fwiw I use Remote Desktop satisfactorily. o/s on host (your server) must be W10 *Pro* for RD.

I use and love fb2k (free, simple yet versatile) for local playback.

flac is on an Optane drive which I feed prn but your nvme fine.

Mine is an ethernet system (Focusrite RedNet) but most folks here use USB.

I don't stream from the internet but many do.

There is a heck of a lot of info here at AS. Some great threads. Read with delectation whilst you decide what to do next.

atb