IGNORED

Does Anyone Miss When Audio Was More Conservative?

11 hours ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

A patron at an audio show reportedly remarked, "Isn't $80,000 a bit expensive for a turntable? The salesman said, "maybe so,  but $80,000 is cheap for a time machine." Recreating a musical event from long ago or trying to can get expensive.

There are two forms of expensive ... you mention one, but the time machine also occurs when the expense is time and effort by the participant in evolving a nominally ordinary recording playback machine to a sufficiently refined level, 🙂.

10 hours ago, John Dyson said:

That impersonation or  replication of reality is a laudible goal, but VERY FEW systems that I have heard could really replicate the real, intimate sound of Blues in a bar, or like Bluegrass like my family played.  I think the best that we typically can get is 'plausible.'.

I took an excellent double CD of that very thing, a local R&B band powering, live, in a club - top notch recording, technically - to the last hifi show in Sydney - not a single rig I tried it on got close to extracting what was on that recording ... bare hints only.

Which says audio is in effect still very conservative - playing well under the mark of what's possible.