IGNORED

Does BIAS affect audio test results?

11 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Following on from what @Summit and many others have said (myself included) its all about the methodology. So, for any methodology of any test or test procedure a pivotal question is how good is it at telling you what you want to know. For good tests there are objective ways to determine this and one example being aware of the false negative rate the test produces.

If any test has a false negative rate of 90% that would render it useless. If OTOH the false negative rate is 5% then you can say, well the test is telling me something but there is a 1 in 20 chance it is getting it wrong. In either case you know objectively where you stand.

In all the studies cited and AFAIK other blind listening studies, including Toole's, there is no definitive false negative rates declared ( I genuinely stand to be corrected here). It seems that it is assumed that the false negative rates are negligible....but how do you/they know that? Definitive statements are made such as "blind tests show..bla bla". ...but what if the false negative rate is 90%?

Now, as pointed out, there are recommendations, official recommendations, made to mitigate these false negatives like take your time, avoid fatigue, drink more water, whatever. However, these are just (mostly) sensible guidelines that in and of themselves have not been validated with experimental evidence that results in revealing the actual false negative rates by adhering to these guidelines. Guidelines are guidelines, if you compare European vs American guidelines on various medical conditions you will find differences of opinion. Why? Because the experimental evidence is not conclusive and the jury remains out.

Bottom line -Tell me the false negative rate of any test otherwise I have no confidence the test is not giving me a wrong result.

This seems to be your main objection to blind testing, from what I gather. But, if you read the studies and proposed testing methodologies, you'll see how hidden controls and pre-testing are used to determine false negatives. The testing recommendations include eliminating scores from those testers that show no ability to discriminate or discriminate randomly.  Testing on a larger sample will eliminate the variables related to individual's performance that day or at that time, or whatever other individual circumstances specific to a person.

For example, MUSHRA testing recommendation from ITU-R includes the following (there's more to each section, I cut out the statistical analysis that's part of the recommendation)

image.png.450c65db3c28c26cf4388657bbcd7b01.png

image.png.9ed8bca038d5b3a30d225f2483b032ba.png

Toole's findings related to errors caused by sighted evaluation compared to blind, even with trained listeners:

image.png.47d3c49d04cfa58d9019ab34b117d734.png

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Any pointers to those tests?

It's not hard to demonstrate that sighted testing introduces many variables into testing that have nothing to do with actual audio or hearing. Some of the findings already mentioned in this thread illustrate it quite nicely:

• The hearing aid test where the subjects were told it has some new technology heard major improvements, while those who thought it was old technology did not (same exact hearing aid was used)
  • Subwoofer effect. While the subwoofer was visible to the test subjects, they heard an obvious low-end extension to the sound even though it wasn't hooked up. When the sub was hidden from view, the effect disappeared
  • Speaker comparisons that showed a very high preference for a high-end speaker when sighted, even among trained audio testers, that became a very different (and consistent among test takers!) selection when the identity of the speaker was hidden

https://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing.htm

http://djcarlst.provide.net/smwtms.htm

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/03/16/arts/sound-expert-ears-take-a-test-to-resolve-the-great-cd-debate.html

Especially BAS had an article on amplifier testing. I can't find it now.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

3 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

This seems to be your main objection to blind testing, from what I gather. But, if you read the studies and proposed testing methodologies, you'll see how hidden controls and pre-testing are used to determine false negatives. The testing recommendations include eliminating scores from those testers that show no ability to discriminate or discriminate randomly.  Testing on a larger sample will eliminate the variables related to individual's performance that day or at that time, or whatever other individual circumstances specific to a person.

For example, MUSHRA testing recommendation from ITU-R includes the following (there's more to each section, I cut out the statistical analysis that's part of the recommendation)

image.png.450c65db3c28c26cf4388657bbcd7b01.png

image.png.9ed8bca038d5b3a30d225f2483b032ba.png

Toole's findings related to errors caused by sighted evaluation compared to blind, even with trained listeners:

image.png.47d3c49d04cfa58d9019ab34b117d734.png

Hi Paul,

any false result, a false positive or false negative is a concern but false negatives are certainly relevant when looking at failures identifying a condition/situation. It is a complex area of statistics (for me) but you need to know sensitivity figures, specificity figures and calculate the true postives, true negatives, false positives and false negatives and look and positive and negative predictive values. Sometimes expressed in the form of 2x2 tables. I mentioned this in my first ever post on AS (CA)

Neither of the examples cited actually specify false negative rates as in actual objective measurements.

I do have the whole ITU paper and it is at least more rigorous in identifying good quality listeners but this is not the same as stating what the actual fasle negative rate is for the test procedure for experienced or any other listeners.

There are obviously just assertions in the Toole description cited, not any actual figures for false negatives. I have this paper and many/most other Toole publications collected over the years and nowhere have i seen published false negatives rates. he just seems to assume they are negligible.

FWIW the Toole publications tend to favor that both experienced and inexperienced listeners are both good 'discriminators' for discerning difference, experienced listeners just more efficient, needing less to get a statistically significant result. I also believe this conclusion is flawed (as in understatement) but (if true) it would tend to invalidate the ITU screening procedure to some extent.

What is required is actual objective measurement figures for the test at hand, not ways that someone has tried to mitigate false results, you need actual measurements of false results expressed as a percentage (the "anchor" test does not give you the false negative rate).

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Hi David,

1 hour ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I do have the whole ITU paper and it is at least more rigorous in identifying good quality listeners but this is not the same as stating what the actual fasle negative rate is for the test procedure for experienced or any other listeners.

Well, they do more than that. They identify the process for rejecting a set of false negative results by including anchors in the test. Since the test is blind, there's no way for a test subject to apply a 'false negative' selection to just one of the DUTs while not doing so to the anchors, unless, of course, doing this consciously and deliberately. This deliberate subversion case can be eliminated by having a large enough and varied enough set of test subjects.

There are obviously just assertions in the Toole description cited, not any actual figures for false negatives

The actual paper with analysis and detailed statistics is behind a paywall, but I don't think they analyzed false negatives. Since the results in their blind test was clear, consistent preference that was statistically significant, I don't think a false negative was a possible outcome there:

Toole, F.E. and S. E. Olive, “Hearing is Believing vs. Believing is Hearing: Blind vs. Sighted Listening Tests and Other Interesting Things”, 97th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 3894 (1994 Nov.)

What is required is actual objective measurement figures for the test at hand, not ways that someone has tried to mitigate false results, you need actual measurements of false results expressed as a percentage (the "anchor" test does not give you the false negative rate).

Those would be nice. And I assume that specific objections to the test procedure can be tested for false-negatives. So, what is your hypothesis about what might cause a false negative in a properly conducted blind test (say, using ITU-R recommendation)?

@Summit proposed one (long-term vs short-term evaluation). This can be turned into a proper blind test, although it's not going to be easy to conduct if it demands a week or a month to be spent with each DUT at a time. It could take years :)

18 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, decide what you want to measure ... IME many ambitious rigs are about developing various types of tonality seasoning, and then of course subjectivity is everything in the assessment of what one hears. But "sound quality" is not subjective, in my book - it is the degree to which there is no significant audible adulteration of what's on the recording by the playback chain - how one assesses is by listening for faults in the sound, clearly evident misbehaviour of the replay.

To use the dreaded car analogy, 😜, most audiophiles compare by saying things like, I prefer the MB ambience over the BMW variety ... I say, I note that car 1 develops a slightly annoying vibration while accelerating, at a certain engine speed; whereas car 2 doesn't. Therefore, car 2 is the better quality car.

Sound quality is not subjective per se, but the listening evaluation normally is.

I thought tonality seasoning was your thing 9_9.  

5 hours ago, Summit said:

Sound quality is not subjective per se, but the listening evaluation normally is.

I thought tonality seasoning was your thing 9_9.  

Yes, it's all about how you listen ...

My thing? What I'm about is hearing what's on the recording; and audiophiles as a group are deeply locked in a belief system that insists that there is a hierarchy of "bad" to "good" recordings, where the the worst of the former are completely unlistenable to .,.. and so instinctively gravitate to rigs that have quality signatures which reinforce that thinking - the seasoning has a huge range of excuses for why it's done; and an obvious example which is held in high esteem is "tube rolling" ... don't like how the recording sounds? OK, change some active devices until the distortion added balances the nature of the recording ... the consumer becomes part of the mastering chain.

I won't be happy until the latest rig produces the same subjective presentation that I got 35 years ago when the system back then was working at peak level - I know that I'm close to excluding all playback chain personality when the experiences match - as I would have thought would be a reasonable take on the situation, 😉.

6 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

The actual paper with analysis and detailed statistics is behind a paywall, but I don't think they analyzed false negatives. Since the results in their blind test was clear, consistent preference that was statistically significant, I don't think a false negative was a possible outcome there:

Toole, F.E. and S. E. Olive, “Hearing is Believing vs. Believing is Hearing: Blind vs. Sighted Listening Tests and Other Interesting Things”, 97th Convention, Audio Eng. Soc., Preprint 3894 (1994 Nov.)

I found it to be available here, https://www.academia.edu/27512201/Hearing_is_Believing_vs._Believing_is_Hearing_Blind_vs._Sighted_Listening_Tests_and_Other_Interesting_Things?auto=download

Hi Paul. I would agree with you that the ITU recommendations are a step in the right direction in attempting to reduce errors. Arguably the best we have got so far.

ITU-R BS.1534 ( cited in post #102) uses “Multi Stimulus test with Hidden Reference and Anchor (MUSHRA)”, is a " Method for the subjective assessment of intermediate quality level of audio systems". It is "not intended for assessment of small [audio] impairments". The paper does not mention "false negatives" and grading of an anchor signal on an ordinal scale from 1 to 5 compared to peers does not substitute or exclude the need for nominating a known false negative rate.

ITU-R BS.111-3 (2015) is for "Methods for the subjective assessment of small impairments in audio systems" and is therefore putatively more appropriate to audiophile listening tests. Kudos because it does state some limitations like "perceptual  objective  assessment  methods  are  being  developed  for  testing  the sound quality of sound systems", and "further studies [are needed ] of the characteristics of listening rooms and reproduction devices for the advanced sound system are needed".

In addition to those caveats it is also still worth mentioning that nowhere in that paper is the term "false negatives" mentioned or offered as a measure. In relation to "screening tests" they talk about uncovering "tendencies" but there is no quantitative measure offered or suggested in that section. They sensibly advise "caution" given "subjects have different sensitives to different artefacts". Anchors are not used unless all systems are found transparent, and as a means to see how (allegedly) good the subjects are at discerning known differences. Again that should not be confused as yielding a false negative rate for the test at hand. My interpretation FWIW oversimplified is that 'hey, these guys do not have golden ears, let's get a bunch that do'

Sound Minds Mind Sound

7 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

@Summit proposed one (long-term vs short-term evaluation). This can be turned into a proper blind test, although it's not going to be easy to conduct if it demands a week or a month to be spent with each DUT at a time. It could take years 

Definitely something along the lines that Summit and others have suggested  with listening conditions more representative of real world experience.

I am also sure you are aware of Thomas Lund from Genelec and his "Slow Listening" and his AES papers on Slow Listening and "On Human Perceptual Bandwidth and Slow Listening" ( I have them if needed). I am not pushing it as a solution but just something that needs to be further explored in that direction.

I absolutely agree that it could take years and as well, may be costly and probably require considerable research expertise.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Definitely something along the lines that Summit and others have suggested  with listening conditions more representative of real world experience.

I am also sure you are aware of Thomas Lund from Genelec and his "Slow Listening" and his AES papers on Slow Listening and "On Human Perceptual Bandwidth and Slow Listening" ( I have them if needed). I am not pushing it as a solution but just something that needs to be further explored in that direction.

I absolutely agree that it could take years and as well, may be costly and probably require considerable research expertise.

Thomas Lund's AES paper has no experimental data, so no evidence, just conjectures. In the paper, slow listening is defined as "hours" not days or weeks or months, so should be testable in much less than a year :)

Here's an AES presentation by James Johnston, an audio research scientist and author of many papers and presentations:

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/ppt/jj/highlevelnobg.ppt

A few slides that apply to this (thread) discussion:

image.png.357ede2d93436af7c9bb11797a7585c8.png

image.png.36831a2694e4c3797898aedfa671f2af.png

image.png.239e28212b9d0e5af56fefc1c1fe7dab.png

36 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Thomas Lund's AES paper has no experimental data, so no evidence, just conjectures. In the paper, slow listening is defined as "hours" not days or weeks or months, so should be testable in much less than a year :)

Here's an AES presentation by James Johnston, an audio research scientist and author of many papers and presentations:

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/ppt/jj/highlevelnobg.ppt

A few slides that apply to this (thread) discussion:

image.png.357ede2d93436af7c9bb11797a7585c8.png

image.png.36831a2694e4c3797898aedfa671f2af.png

image.png.239e28212b9d0e5af56fefc1c1fe7dab.png

Lund's stuff basically suggests much longer listening time intervals as others have also suggested...he talks about "dedicated listening for 8 hours per day" and "In case what is tested for is unfamiliar, slow listening could take as long as it would for the subject to learn a new language, maybe more." Importantly, I am not saying he is right anymore than Toole or anyone else is right, just it is a very different approach

AES paper also attached

----

JJ Johnston first came under my radar when Wes Phillips interviewed him at ATT quite some years ago regarding PSR (Perceptual Soundfield Reconstruction) which he was apparently working on. The article  said "Forget everything you've heard about multichannel. Compared to PSR, it's all a joke -- from Quad to all the way up to five-channel SACD. Oh, Ambisonics works well enough, if you're willing to put up with a listening room that looks like a tornado hit a music store and a single-person-head-in-a-vice sweet spot. But PSR does all that with a minimal amount of equipment -- and does it better, to boot."

AES Time for Slow Listening.pdf

Sound Minds Mind Sound

6 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Lund's stuff basically suggests much longer listening time intervals as others have also suggested...he talks about "dedicated listening for 8 hours per day" and "In case what is tested for is unfamiliar, slow listening could take as long as it would for the subject to learn a new language, maybe more." Importantly, I am not saying he is right anymore than Toole or anyone else is right, just it is a very different approach

AES paper also attached

Thanks for the paper. Perhaps Lund has done some research in this area, but unlike Toole's papers (and his book), Lund's contains no experimental data, no analysis, no evidence to substantiate his claims. But I'm not aware of where Toole has studied (or even just recommended) the length of the evaluation, so I don't know if they'd disagree.

6 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

JJ Johnston first came under my radar when Wes Phillips interviewed him at ATT quite some years ago regarding PSR (Perceptual Soundfield Reconstruction) which he was apparently working on. The article  said "Forget everything you've heard about multichannel. Compared to PSR, it's all a joke -- from Quad to all the way up to five-channel SACD. Oh, Ambisonics works well enough, if you're willing to put up with a listening room that looks like a tornado hit a music store and a single-person-head-in-a-vice sweet spot. But PSR does all that with a minimal amount of equipment -- and does it better, to boot."

J_J is an interesting character, who's been doing audio research for quite a long time. His findings often contradict the 'common sense' beliefs of audiophiles. I've had a few discussions with him on ASR regarding the audibility of distortions and on other topics. Here's a collection of presentations and papers that I found very educational in my research:

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/jj.htm

Also, some interesting recordings of talks (including by JJ) worth watching and hearing:

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/index.htm

A good presentation on perception of audio:  

12 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

Thanks for the paper. Perhaps Lund has done some research in this area, but unlike Toole's papers (and his book), Lund's contains no experimental data, no analysis, no evidence to substantiate his claims. But I'm not aware of where Toole has studied (or even just recommended) the length of the evaluation, so I don't know if they'd disagree.

J_J is an interesting character, who's been doing audio research for quite a long time. His findings often contradict the 'common sense' beliefs of audiophiles. I've had a few discussions with him on ASR regarding the audibility of distortions and on other topics. Here's a collection of presentations and papers that I found very educational in my research:

http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/jj.htm

Also, some interesting recordings of talks (including by JJ) worth watching and hearing:

http://www.aes-media.org/sections/pnw/pnwrecaps/index.htm

A good presentation on perception of audio:  

Hi Paul

thanks for the links on JJ.

Re Toole vs Lund.

I have not seen experimental evidence provided by Lund but I may have missed it. My point was not that he is right or wrong but that he provides certain arguably factual information, and as you call it, conjectures, that may need to be accounted for in any hypothesis you or I or anyone might form on our topic of interest. It may be that we decide to dismiss his (non experimental) evidence and/or conjectures and provide good reasons to do so. Good hypotheses are well reasoned and do not bias inclusion or exclusion of information but seek all potentially relevant information. As Lund has 2 AES papers related to the topic I simply offered them as potentially relevant.

Toole has many publications. Yes there is experimental evidence presented. The question is therefore do we accept this as wholly correct and shut up shop and be done with it. A great many people would I believe say YES. The guy has unequivocally "proven" this or that. Trouble is there is a great many that say NO, I'm not buying that.

I won't go back into the same loop here but essentially Toole, and many others, predicate their experimental evidence on blind listening tests as used in certain methodologies. I have explained the issues and controversies about this. Suffice to say that every conclusion is based on the validity of these tests --> outcome measures. Logically, if you are 100% on board with those outcomes it is game over.....and also logically, the great debate will continue unresolved.

I hope that makes some sense.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

11 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Paul

thanks for the links on JJ.

Re Toole vs Lund.

I have not seen experimental evidence provided by Lund but I may have missed it. My point was not that he is right or wrong but that he provides certain arguably factual information, and as you call it, conjectures, that may need to be accounted for in any hypothesis you or I or anyone might form on our topic of interest. It may be that we decide to dismiss his (non experimental) evidence and/or conjectures and provide good reasons to do so. Good hypotheses are well reasoned and do not bias inclusion or exclusion of information but seek all potentially relevant information. As Lund has 2 AES papers related to the topic I simply offered them as potentially relevant.

Toole has many publications. Yes there is experimental evidence presented. The question is therefore do we accept this as wholly correct and shut up shop and be done with it. A great many people would I believe say YES. The guy has unequivocally "proven" this or that. Trouble is there is a great many that say NO, I'm not buying that.

I won't go back into the same loop here but essentially Toole, and many others, predicate their experimental evidence on blind listening tests as used in certain methodologies. I have explained the issues and controversies about this. Suffice to say that every conclusion is based on the validity of these tests --> outcome measures. Logically, if you are 100% on board with those outcomes it is game over.....and also logically, the great debate will continue unresolved.

I hope that makes some sense.

Hi David,

Probably not the place to keep arguing about blind testing, as this thread is really about biases. I just want to make sure that it's clear that the argument you're making here and on other threads is about a methodology in blind testing and not blind testing itself. I'm a big advocate for removing known biases in testing, especially those demonstrably leading to wrong results. Blind testing helps to do this, according to pretty much all the studies and literature cited in this thread.

Even if the specific test methodology often used in randomized blind tests is in some other way flawed, as Lund might be suggesting (with no evidence), it is still a useful tool to control a number of well-known and well-measured effects confounding sighted testing. And if there really are flaws in the process, I'm the first one to say let's demonstrate that these are real and then let's figure out a way to fix them.

That said, I use blind tests in most of my equipment evaluations. I also use it to determine my own audibility thresholds to various impairments. And I find that I can pass a blind test with shorter comparisons much easier than with much longer ones (yes, I've attempted long-running blind tests with hour or longer evaluations). My hypothesis for why that is is that the minor differences between DUTs are mostly overwhelmed by the much larger differences between my state of mind, physical condition, tracks I use for evaluation, sequence in which I listen, what's in the news, the weather,  etc., etc. The minor audible differences get mostly averaged out over long period of time, and what remains is the average perception of all the other variables that have nothing to do with the audibility or a preference of a certain DUT. But that's just me and my hypothesis.

This article was just shared on that other forum that we shouldn't mention or link to 😎 I found it interesting and thought I'd share as a follow-up to our latest discussion here:

https://linearaudio.net/sites/linearaudio.net/files/LA Vol 2 Yaniger(1).pdf

This is not a study but covers some pitfalls and biases related to testing and judging audio equipment, as well as the different types of testing and related equipment by Stuart Yaniger.

Stuart also goes into a test he did on himself to determine if longer-term evaluation was revealing something a short term test couldn't.  The interesting part to me was how he went about performing this test.  This should be repeatable by others, possibly with some minor adjustments:

image.png.4113b62d6d3f7a5fc42d454cd415cab8.png

There are more variables that must be considered in audio testing than just the psychological or testing process bias. An obvious one to check is if there's a possible source of testing error due to the test subject's physical hearing impairments. Hearing declines with age, frequency audibility thresholds change, tinnitus may selectively affect certain frequencies, and other disease- and age-related effects must be carefully considered. Some of the studies mentioned here specifically performed audiology testing on test subjects before proceeding to the experiment. Other testing methodologies, like MUSHRA, allow for a rejection of individuals based on their test scores where they can't detect obviously distorted/impaired content.

Here's an interesting table from a study that shows higher frequency audibility thresholds for individuals above the age of 60, male and female. The numbers show dB level required for audibility. A higher number indicates that a higher level of that frequency is required for detection:

image.thumb.png.bced564271d861cada174d9ab5127694.png

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting study on the correlation of visual and audio perception. Soundstage size, precision, positions, etc., are often mentioned as the key components of an audiophile evaluation. What is not so obvious is that visual perception can play a significant role in these "soundstage" assessments. Here's a study that demonstrates the effect:

Woodcock, James & Davies, William & Cox, Trevor. (2019). Influence of Visual Stimuli on Perceptual Attributes of Spatial Audio.

Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. 67. 557-567

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335179952_Influence_of_Visual_Stimuli_on_Perceptual_Attributes_of_Spatial_Audio

image.png.9ea6eaa64d642a91e277c0b3dad8c988.png

1 hour ago, Chris987654321 said:

It’s a really sad time in audio history with high tech dominating the discussion, mainly by utilizing the double-blind test in the favor of selling tech to maintain salaries worthy of the engineer’s higher educations. The proclaiming that biases are at the root of enjoyment so we must eliminate them to accurately know something, is short sighted. 

The blind test: now that it has been used much

more frequently for over a decade.. I’ve come to realize is foolish as it engages only the ear, nothing else. It is difficult to understand a moment where only the ear shall decide the quality. Speech communication perhaps? Hearing aids? There I see an argument. Music is neither. It is ENTERTAINMENT.

in the area of entertainment, it is very important to stimulate as many senses as possible. And mainly the 6th sense... the sense of engagement.  

In addition to sound, by stimulating the visual cortex and the also with physical touch, it can trigger impressions in the engagement of the user, and make them enjoy the experience more. Or turn them off if both visual and physical appear to be poor quality. 

As you can see, we’ve been going down a foolish path, one that offers little enjoyable benefit. Maybe a poor person can convince themselves they now have the best? There’s a benefit I guess. What I’ve seen is a lot of unwarranted and unneeded criticism toward more expensive equipment, using the blind test as a means to disrupt and sell more quantity of lower quality products. Apple iPod and later iPhone comes to mind, since the original poor quality compressed audio paid for their rescue. And also had a hand in much of the double blind science worship coincidentally. 

as you can see.. the money of a company worth $1trillion has an interest in audio. They are getting better, I don’t really care..Someday I won’t be surprised if Apple wants to sell audiophile gear, and magically all the science will be against double blind testing. Currently if someone wants to waste $40k on snake oil, that’s their right. And they probably are enjoying the experience more than anyone. 

Music is entertainment, audio is engineering. The two are different and distinct. Personally I don’t  want my audio system creating or improving music. I want it to faithfully reproduce it, and that’s what high fidelity is supposed to be. 

Everything else you said is just your personal opinion and isn’t at all on topic in an objective forum.

2 hours ago, Chris987654321 said:

It’s a really sad time in audio history with high tech dominating the discussion, mainly by utilizing the double-blind test in the favor of selling tech to maintain salaries worthy of the engineer’s higher educations. The proclaiming that biases are at the root of enjoyment so we must eliminate them to accurately know something, is short sighted. 

If one is 'biased' towards the subjective quality of live music, versus that of a hifi system, then indeed it's at the root of what's important ... 😉.

IME all the listening testing is completely off course - asking which sound "they prefer". What's actually needed is to ask, which sound is closest to presenting the qualities that identify live music, irrespective of whether it sounds "nice", "not rough", and all the other silly adjectives that seem to be used, 😁.

The science of audio has got in its head that stereo reproduction is always going to be a lame duck; and therefore treats people's subjective reaction at a very coarse level - here, biases will be a huge factor, because the SQ in the testing is so low; people will grab onto anything to give themselves a hint as to whether one is better than another, 😉.

2 hours ago, Chris987654321 said:

The blind test: now that it has been used much

more frequently for over a decade.. I’ve come to realize is foolish as it engages only the ear, nothing else. It is difficult to understand a moment where only the ear shall decide the quality. Speech communication perhaps? Hearing aids? There I see an argument. Music is neither. It is ENTERTAINMENT.

in the area of entertainment, it is very important to stimulate as many senses as possible. And mainly the 6th sense... the sense of engagement.  

In addition to sound, by stimulating the visual cortex and the also with physical touch, it can trigger impressions in the engagement of the user, and make them enjoy the experience more. Or turn them off if both visual and physical appear to be poor quality. 

As you can see, we’ve been going down a foolish path, one that offers little enjoyable benefit. Maybe a poor person can convince themselves they now have the best? There’s a benefit I guess. What I’ve seen is a lot of unwarranted and unneeded criticism toward more expensive equipment, using the blind test as a means to disrupt and sell more quantity of lower quality products. Apple iPod and later iPhone comes to mind, since the original poor quality compressed audio paid for their rescue. And also had a hand in much of the double blind science worship coincidentally. 

as you can see.. the money of a company worth $1trillion has an interest in audio. They are getting better, I don’t really care..Someday I won’t be surprised if Apple wants to sell audiophile gear, and magically all the science will be against double blind testing. Currently if someone wants to waste $40k on snake oil, that’s their right. And they probably are enjoying the experience more than anyone. 

Hi Chris

and welcome! Your inaugural post raises a number of issues that resonate with myself and others but divide the audio world in two halves.

There is no doubt that bias affects audio tests. The real debate is on what follows: how much, when, does it matter, and how to deal with it if it does matter.

Blind listening tests have their limitations and I think you have touched on some. There will be no agreement though as some see them as the already established gold standard measure without any possible down sides other than to expose fools, which is to say there is no downside in their minds. Not all "objectivists" are on that particular merry-go- round and some are just after the truth, wherever it falls. The irony is that bias can sometimes get in the way of the truth for all of us.

That said, as you said, this is about enjoying music, not about finding a vaccine for Covid. If it "engages" you and touches you with its beauty, that's all that matters. Science and engineering take a huge back step. The problem is that without science and engineering, making the music sound more beautiful and engaging over bits of hardware and software becomes problematic, some would say impossible.

My spin is that there has to be a balance between the subjective and the objective ( note I did not say subjectivist or objectivist) working hand in glove. People will focus on one at the detriment of the other and bias will shift that focus this way or that.

Sound Minds Mind Sound