IGNORED

Does BIAS affect audio test results?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the effort you have put into this, I believe it is incredibly relevant to how we choose audio equipment. I'm really at a loss to understand why more audio enthusiasts don't recognise (or accept) the negative effect of bias and the need for DBT. Maybe it is just too hard and will spoil their fun but with 30 day return offers I'm not sure why audio clubs for example do not promote them at their regular get togethers. I would have thought manufactures would jump at the chance of having 20-30 of their target market listen to their gear.

FYI they just completed a controlled test on the effect of aspirin on bowel cancer in Aus. They were so concerned about the placebo effect (as recipients had to be told what they were being tested for) that the randomised-controlled trial monitored 427 people that given aspirin and 434 people that were given a placebo, for between 10 to 20 years. All of them had Lynch syndrome, an inherited disorder which puts them at higher risk of a range of cancers, including bowel cancer.

Of interest they found that two aspirins a day, for an average of 2½ years, reduced the rate of bowel cancer by about 50 per cent.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/an-aspirin-a-day-helps-keep-bowel-cancer-away-study-finds-20200612-p5524r.html

Anyway my point is that if medical scientists, who are testing for life and death cures, are so concerned about bias why aren't we? Why do audiophiles resist DBT so adamantly. Why do advertises pay celebrities exorbitant amounts of money to promote their products if they don't think they will influence our thinking?

Apologies if off your specific topic, just wanted to say a very sincere thanks for your efforts.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 5:25 AM, pkane2001 said:

Well, these are all conjectures or possible explanations for why it may work this way. And I don't necessarily disagree with anything you said here (I'm open to hearing evidence for one way or the other). But I still would like to see some studies or properly conducted blind tests that demonstrate that longer term listening can be more sensitive than shorter-term, 8-10 seconds switching when evaluating minor differences. That's certainly not the way the industry conducts subjective listening tests, although I've not found a clear indication of whether it's because short-term switching is just easier to conduct and more convenient, or because echoic memory limits our ability to evaluate minor audio differences beyond a few seconds. In conversations with some audio testing professionals, they did indicate that shorter-term, quick-switching was the way to detect minor SQ differences. But, again, that's just someone saying it, and what I'm looking for is objective evidence for whether it's true or not.

Hi Paul,

Your intent in establishing this blog is honourable, and your patience while attempting to enlighten the naysayers such as Alex has been exemplary.

Unfortunately the majority of people (not all) put their emotions and beliefs first and will often cherry pick or alter the facts to match them. Very few take a rational approach to a subject that has feelings associated with them. Just look at the rebound in the sharemarket, which assumes that the Pandemic will not affect the economy, despite the evidence that things are gong to get a lot worst before they get better.

There is a book by physiologist Mark Manson "Everything if F*cked, a book about Hope" that explores why people adopt unhealthy beliefs and behave as they do despite the facts.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Unti-Manson-2/dp/0062888439

I would also commend those looking for a more rational approach to audio reproduction to view Archimago's Musings' blog and the Audio Science Review website. I find they give a good balance to the more subjective views you find here.

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers