IGNORED

Dedicated Internet Connection for Streaming

There is probably a thorough discussion on the fibre optic vs. cable vs. DSL question as it relates to streaming for a two channel audio system. If not, for those who have thoughts on this I'd appreciate hearing what are the advantages and disadvantages to each. Thank you!

Currently I have DSL (via phone line) with a local provider which we will be keeping for phone, email, etc. This weekend we are having ATT fibre optic connected for audio streaming only. I'm not sure of the data plan. Thanks for your response!

I don't quite understand the question.  What's a dedicated internet line for streaming mean? 

You have an ISP connection to your house or you don't, no?  The alternative is to use ones cell phone as a hotspot I suppose if that is all that is possible.  In most cases you have little to no choice - its whatever you location / neighborhood supports. 

My rig

We have a DSL line for phone and internet with a local company, Sonic, employing a modem and router. ATT is installing a separate fibre optic line with an ONT which I will connect to my streamer. Our neighborhood supports DSL, cable, and fibre optic. Is that more clear? 

16 minutes ago, plissken said:

Bottom line is if you have good speeds with the Fiber connection then get rid of DSL. Unsure of how you order connection and not know the data rate plan you purchased.

I agree, there is no reason to have a dedicated line for streaming. Fiber is capable of speeds so much faster than DSL or Coax cable that it is possible to stream about 1000 hi res songs at a time and talk on the VOIP phone while watching TV I bet.

No electron left behind.

Thank you for all the input. I confess: I am a neophyte when it comes to the finer points of internet connection. Perhaps unnecessarily, I was thinking that having a separate pathway, in this case ATT's fibre optic, sans phone, etc., would provide a cleaner signal. Not true?

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Your best option is to get the fastest single internet connection and make sure your network inside the house is tuned to work well. 

How does one go about making sure the network inside our home is tuned well?

Thank you!

1 hour ago, 2ndLiner said:

Thank you for all the input. I confess: I am a neophyte when it comes to the finer points of internet connection. Perhaps unnecessarily, I was thinking that having a separate pathway, in this case ATT's fibre optic, sans phone, etc., would provide a cleaner signal. Not true?

How does one go about making sure the network inside our home is tuned well?

Thank you!

There are several threads here on tuning a network for best audio and there are courses and books on network optimization.

You can go down a large rabbit hole and actually hurt your network performance very easily if you don't know what you're doing. I recommend getting a dedicated router, good wired switches, and good access points. Start with the default configuration and make changes if something isn't working right. 

If your audio is all wired, with control via wireless, you can get unmanages switched like those from Netgear, Nest WiFi, and possibly stick with the router provided by your fiber provider. 

People with networking skills obviously don't go this route because we like to tweak and squeeze out every ounce of performance, but it often is just a luxury, not a necessity.  I use Ubiquiti UniFi wired and wireless and love it. But, it isn't for everyone. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

With my current DSL internet, my setup is modem ---> router --->Telegartner M12 Gold Switch ---> dCS streamer. I also have a Roon Nucleus with an SBooster power supply. The sound is quite good but I'm hoping the move to fibre will allow even better quality of sound. I've already gone down a rabbit hole which has afforded many hours of joyful listening...

1 hour ago, 2ndLiner said:

Thanks, Bobflood...Dou you have any links or book suggestions?

There is an online resource by Cisco I have looked at from time to time and there is a For Dummies book on networking and many others of course. The best thing is to do what Chris said and get a quality router and switch and don't mess with it too much. Also just search this thread for help on specific questions as many things have come up and been answered here. I have gig fiber and it provides excellent service but I wouldn't expect any revelations from using fiber. It mainly provides a more robust service in comparison to DSL or a shared cable system. If you have a small to modest number of devices on your network then you should not need to tweak it much. Lastly, you will get the best results for your audio devices if you stay with a wired setup using at least Cat5e wiring. Wifi and good sound quality seldom go together.