IGNORED

JRiver DSP over DLNA

I asked about this at the JRiver support forum, but I don't think I made myself clear enough there to get an answer that responded to what I tried to ask.

I like the way that Roon and Audirvana can convert to DSD 256 everything I stream from a NAS to a Rendu, but I don't like Roon's interface enough to pay $120 a year for it and Audirvana doesn't pretend to be much of a file manager.  I like JRiver as both a manager and a player over DLNA and am pretty happy with it, but I can't figure out if there is a way to have JRiver convert all streamed playback to DSD256 the way that the other two players can.  (I know it can someone using an ASIO driver, but I am using only an Ethernet connection out of the Windows 10 computer on which JRiver is installed.)

I have tried setting up a DLNA server in JRiver that uses DSP Studio to fix the output format.  The option to fix the format to 4xDSD is not grayed out in DSP Studio, so I selected it.  I can get music to play (although native DSD files won't), but my DAC's display makes clear there's no format conversion happening.

Based on what I gleaned from the JRiver forum, I gathered that, even JRiver doesn't gray out the DSD outputs in DSP Studio, you can't actually use those options if you select DSP Studio as the basis for your DLNA server's output.  

So, just double checking here: can any of you use JRiver to stream files converted to DSD256 to a Rendu or similar device over DLNA?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

JRiver Media Center can only stream its DSP Studio's DSD output as DoP over the network to a UPnP/DLNA renderer, such as the Rendu in DLNA output (3a) mode. My version of JRiver (MC18) is limited to DSD128 as DoP. It appears to have a bug in it that allows you to select native DSD256 output in the DSP Studio as well as other native DSD resolutions and they should be grayed out as only the DoP options should be available when DSP Studio is configured for one of JRiver's DLNA servers:

2096925404_JRiverDSPEngine.thumb.png.caa216fcac9ad849b47bdf80a3e41220.png

Is it the same for your version of JRiver?

Thanks.  Mine is MC 26 and will do 4x over DoP, but the native DSD options are the same.  As I would have to run over DoP to upsample, I have continued to just use native format to stream DSD. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, jcbenten said:

I have JR23 and I think in the past I have on-the-fly converted to DSD256 to iFi, SMSL, and Topping (see signature) but it was via USB & ASIO.  I was not attempting any DSP.  I believe it was Native.  I will try and replicate in the next day or two to verify unless someone beats me to it.  But I am not sure how to test over network with my setup...I do not know if my Oppo or SBT will pass a DSD256 file...have to check.

Thanks. 

Yes, when I had my DAC connected to the computer via USB and ASIO, all of the DSP options were available to me. 

My desktop setup is configured so that I could easily take a microrendu out of the equation and just run upsampled to the DAC.  Unfortunately, my main system requires DLNA or something like Roon RAAT that uses a DLNA background.  I have been using JRiver as the server, but, with Audirvana and Roon, I can do the file conversion easily and it sounds great with either, but I don't enjoy the Roon interface and expense and Audirvana can be quirky. 

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

The first thing you need to check as far as the OP is concerned is whether JR23's DSP studio has a 4xDSD in DoP format option. If not then DSD256 output from the DSP Studio over DLNA is a no go and there's nothing to test with anyway.

I should have been clearer in the OP.  I want the conversion to be to native DSD.

DoP defeats the purpose of the conversion for two reasons. 

First, my DAC's (Topping D90 and Wyred4Sound) both have flagship chips optimized for native DSD.

Second, I get native DSD to play as native DSD right now on JRiver simply by retaining the original file format.  Converting to DoP would cause my many DSD files to stream as PCM. 

We seem to be in agreement here:. Roon and Audirvana can do it, but not JRiver.  

Damned shame, because I prefer it in so many ways.