IGNORED

JAZZ FUSION FANS? What are your favoriteTracks/LPs?

2 hours ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

I got into Jazz Fusion back in the late 1970's. Would tape record the good stuff & make mix tapes. I was watching a YouTube video the other day of Return To Forever live doing a track called .. Jester King. Was there ever a better group of creative, impressive musicians than Return To Forever? Chick Corea still performs I hear. It would be a dream for someone to uncover some lost tapes or if they would put out some new music. They're old though. Chick Corea along with Joe Zawinul of Weather Report were among the most gifted creative  melody creators of our time. Time has no way of making music like this sound dated. Besides the obvious best known fusion artists of the 1970's & 80's like Benson, Mclaughlin, Bob James, Pat Metheny, Earl Klugh etc., what were some of your favorite jazz fusion tracks and albums?  

There are comparatively new recordings from Corea and group. Check "The Mothership Returns" live album from 2012. Back in 70s I was listening a lot of Hancock, Duke, Ponty besides those you've mentioned. Also, some good recordings from ECM, such as Terje Rypdal's Odyssey. Also, Soft Machine, Klaus Doldinger's Passport.

4 hours ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

Colloseum II was great band. A few weeks ago I got one of their records on ebay. The Jazz Fusion scene was very big in England and just as with rock, a disproortinate amount of the greatest music came from their relatively small country. Even a young Phil Collins had his own fusion band called Brand X. A lot of bands used Alan Holdsworth on guitar. Some other U.K. Fusion bands were Tribal Tech, National Health, Soft Machine, Hadfield & The North, and across the U.K. border, great music from Cox Orange and Iceberg (try their Sentiments LP).

Also in UK - Nucleus, Isotope

Isotope and Nucleus are two different groups from UK. Tony Williams Lifetime (originally with John McLaughlin and Larry Young) is a wonderful band which employed many well-known musicians from both US and UK in different times. While Tony Williams himself was American, he invited some musicians from UK to play with him, such as John McLaughlin, Jack Brice, Alan Holdsworth. Great drummer, member of miraculous Miles Davis Quintet in 60s.

1 hour ago, Digi&Analog Fan said:

Thanks for clearing that up. As I said I bought an LP on ebay quite a while ago and I might have gotten the album title and the bands name mixed up. I'll have to find the record. I know the word Isotope is on the cover. Tony Williams; I bought a CD of his greatest hits and liked it on first listen. Have not gotten back to it yet, but will. You can tell I am not too familiar with him yet. I also bought an LP of his with a women's legs pictured on the cover. I better get my turntable hooked up before long.

The one you mentioned is the "Million Dollar Legs" from the so-called New Lifetime iteration of Tony Williams band. I listened this LP back in 70s and have not much memories about. What I really like is early Williams albums, like the "Life Time", his debut  on Blue Note, some time before he started fusion experiments. And, besides Miles Davis Quintet recordings mentioned above, V.S.O.P Quintet albums from 70s.