ray-dude

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 5 of 5)

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We have been developing a new board that can transmit i2s, SPDIF, or AES/EBU via fiber optic between a source and a destination. These boards are transmit and receive all in one and are bi-directional for signal/clocking distribution. There is no practical use right now for the tech except in the DIY world, but a manufacturer that builds a source and a DAC could easily adopt the isolation scheme which would provide 100% galvanic isolation in a very clean way. I have no tissue working with Taiko Audio or any other manufacturer to help them implement this into their components.       

optical Rendu with fiber out to a optic SPDIF converter ? Yes please 😀

17 hours ago, bbosler said:

Raimund, I was accused of beating a dead horse earlier in this thread, and with all due respect, you have beaten this optical thing and beaten it repeatedly. You have a very unusual DAC that does not have a standard USB input. USB is the current standard. Complaining over and over that the Extreme is incompatible with a DAC that is highly unusual is not going to change that. It won't work for you. We get it. What do you hope to accomplish by going over it again and again?

You can call it ‘dead horse‘, I call it ‘challenge the status quo‘, especially applicable to the end-game server the Extreme wants to be seen as.

BR,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

17 hours ago, matthias said:

Raimund,

because both copper ethernet and FO ethernet inputs are standard inputs in 2020 for servers like USB is THE standard output.

I can not see at all a standard for an optical USB output.

Even your favourite DAC manufacturer moved on from a complicated three fiber extra box concept to a better solution which you explained in post #120.

Matt

I am not necessarily looking for a new standard here but of course like the idea if OEMs could agree on such an output format vs. the inferior copper USB.

Manufacturers of DACs want their products to be compatible to a variety of formats, artistic fidelity is for sure no exception here, still the implementation of the copper USB input in their DACs respective output in their streamers/servers is for good reasons much different vs. most other OEMs targetting at perfect isolation and re-clocking.

BR,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We have been developing a new board that can transmit i2s, SPDIF, or AES/EBU via fiber optic between a source and a destination. These boards are transmit and receive all in one and are bi-directional for signal/clocking distribution. There is no practical use right now for the tech except in the DIY world, but a manufacturer that builds a source and a DAC could easily adopt the isolation scheme which would provide 100% galvanic isolation in a very clean way. I have no tissue working with Taiko Audio or any other manufacturer to help them implement this into their components.       

I think this is a great idea. I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server? If one can ask for a certain Music Server software the Extreme shall run on why not give the individual customer the choice for certain hardware options as well?

BR,

Raimund 

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

3 hours ago, Raimund Heubel said:

I am not necessarily looking for a new standard here but of course like the idea if OEMs could agree on such an output format vs. the inferior copper USB.

2 hours ago, Raimund Heubel said:

I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server? If one can ask for a certain Music Server software the Extreme shall run on why not give the individual customer the choice for certain hardware options as well?

I call it ‘challenge the status quo‘, especially applicable to the end-game server the Extreme wants to be seen as.

saying something a few times is making a point. Saying it over and over and over and over like you are doing is 

giphy.gif

I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server?

The Extreme offers many output options:

External connections consist of 5 USB ports, 2 copper Rj45 ethernet ports, 1 fiber SFP open slot ethernet port, 1 VGA port. SPDIF, AES/EBU single, dual or quad wire optionally available.

Just for clarification:

According to your signature you use a common USB cable between your server and your artistic fidelity devices, the same you could do with the Extreme.

Matt

20 hours ago, Raimund Heubel said:

I think this is a great idea. I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server? If one can ask for a certain Music Server software the Extreme shall run on why not give the individual customer the choice for certain hardware options as well?

BR,

Raimund 

You can decide on the output format (i2s, SPDIF, or AES/EBU) you want. These boards just transmit the signals from point A to point B via fiber optic.   

On 5/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, matthias said:

Just for clarification:

According to your signature you use a common USB cable between your server and your artistic fidelity devices, the same you could do with the Extreme.

Matthias,

no, in my main (living room) system I am not using any copper USB cable anymore. My artistic fidelity arfi-stream xto streamer is connected via RJ45 ethernet copper cable to my Mac mini server one floor down from my living room. The streamer puts out the digital audio signal via fibre optical cables to the artistic fidelity afis isolator switch. The afis connects via RJ45 ethernet copper cable to the artistic fidelity dac 2 DAC.

BR,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office