IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 5 of 5)

13 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We have been developing a new board that can transmit i2s, SPDIF, or AES/EBU via fiber optic between a source and a destination. These boards are transmit and receive all in one and are bi-directional for signal/clocking distribution. There is no practical use right now for the tech except in the DIY world, but a manufacturer that builds a source and a DAC could easily adopt the isolation scheme which would provide 100% galvanic isolation in a very clean way. I have no tissue working with Taiko Audio or any other manufacturer to help them implement this into their components.       

optical Rendu with fiber out to a optic SPDIF converter ? Yes please 😀

17 hours ago, bbosler said:

Raimund, I was accused of beating a dead horse earlier in this thread, and with all due respect, you have beaten this optical thing and beaten it repeatedly. You have a very unusual DAC that does not have a standard USB input. USB is the current standard. Complaining over and over that the Extreme is incompatible with a DAC that is highly unusual is not going to change that. It won't work for you. We get it. What do you hope to accomplish by going over it again and again?

You can call it ‘dead horse‘, I call it ‘challenge the status quo‘, especially applicable to the end-game server the Extreme wants to be seen as.

BR,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

17 hours ago, matthias said:

Raimund,

because both copper ethernet and FO ethernet inputs are standard inputs in 2020 for servers like USB is THE standard output.

I can not see at all a standard for an optical USB output.

Even your favourite DAC manufacturer moved on from a complicated three fiber extra box concept to a better solution which you explained in post #120.

Matt

I am not necessarily looking for a new standard here but of course like the idea if OEMs could agree on such an output format vs. the inferior copper USB.

Manufacturers of DACs want their products to be compatible to a variety of formats, artistic fidelity is for sure no exception here, still the implementation of the copper USB input in their DACs respective output in their streamers/servers is for good reasons much different vs. most other OEMs targetting at perfect isolation and re-clocking.

BR,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Apple Mac mini Mid 2011 (MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, 64 GB OWC SSD, 16 GB OWC RAM, iTunes 12.9, Pure Music 3.09c) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> artistic fidelity External USB-Module -> 3 Fibre Optical Cables -> artistic fidelity afis / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity RJ45 cable -> artistic fidelity arfi-dac2 / arfi-psu -> artistic fidelity XLR-to-BNC cable -> Bakoon HPA-21 Headamp + Sennheiser HD 800

Home Office

Apple Mac mini End 2018 (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, 128 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, Audirvana 3.5.19) -> artistic fidelity USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital / Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 USB PSU -> Abacus C-Box 2 Active Speakers

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We have been developing a new board that can transmit i2s, SPDIF, or AES/EBU via fiber optic between a source and a destination. These boards are transmit and receive all in one and are bi-directional for signal/clocking distribution. There is no practical use right now for the tech except in the DIY world, but a manufacturer that builds a source and a DAC could easily adopt the isolation scheme which would provide 100% galvanic isolation in a very clean way. I have no tissue working with Taiko Audio or any other manufacturer to help them implement this into their components.       

I think this is a great idea. I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server? If one can ask for a certain Music Server software the Extreme shall run on why not give the individual customer the choice for certain hardware options as well?

BR,

Raimund 

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

3 hours ago, Raimund Heubel said:

I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server?

The Extreme offers many output options:

External connections consist of 5 USB ports, 2 copper Rj45 ethernet ports, 1 fiber SFP open slot ethernet port, 1 VGA port. SPDIF, AES/EBU single, dual or quad wire optionally available.

Just for clarification:

According to your signature you use a common USB cable between your server and your artistic fidelity devices, the same you could do with the Extreme.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

20 hours ago, Raimund Heubel said:

I think this is a great idea. I am sure the Extreme is a custom build device why not let each individual customer decide which output modules/formats he/she wants to have implemented in the server? If one can ask for a certain Music Server software the Extreme shall run on why not give the individual customer the choice for certain hardware options as well?

BR,

Raimund 

You can decide on the output format (i2s, SPDIF, or AES/EBU) you want. These boards just transmit the signals from point A to point B via fiber optic.   

On 5/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, matthias said:

Just for clarification:

According to your signature you use a common USB cable between your server and your artistic fidelity devices, the same you could do with the Extreme.

Matthias,

no, in my main (living room) system I am not using any copper USB cable anymore. My artistic fidelity arfi-stream xto streamer is connected via RJ45 ethernet copper cable to my Mac mini server one floor down from my living room. The streamer puts out the digital audio signal via fibre optical cables to the artistic fidelity afis isolator switch. The afis connects via RJ45 ethernet copper cable to the artistic fidelity dac 2 DAC.

BR,

Raimund

Best Regards, Raimund

Living Room

Home Office

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll be shocked at how much tension goes away with a quality supply on the 5V (RF is a bugger).  An alternative is to use the stock DAVE SMPS for the 5V and your Keces for the +-15V.  The stock supply is quite good, but a Sean Jacobs or Paul Hynes is a LOT better.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

On 5/31/2020 at 10:17 PM, bbosler said:

Much better than the DCS Rossini,

oh my that is some statement.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

3 minutes ago, RickyV said:

oh my that is some statement.

Of course "much" is relative, but after hearing them both extensively in my system it is no contest.... for me. 

Factor in that the Rossini/clock combo is about twice as much retail, and I sold the DCS combo used for enough to pay for a new DAVE and M Scaler and pocket about $8K...  I am a happy camper.

What are your experiences?

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

I'm so impressed by the use of the Chord Dave as your power section. What sort of metric/spec are you looking for in the RCA output to decide if it's capable of running ultra efficient speakers? Also, is there any individual adjustment (cutoff freq) able to be made in the Dave between RCA and XLR outputs? ...I guess I'm asking if it can function as an active crossover

The Voxativ 9.87 has been a dream system of mine since I heard it at a show a few years ago. I've modeled my own system in it's spirit, albeit at a much lower level, with Klipsch Heresy's sitting atop REL T9i's. I would love to explore an alternative to my 3W SET tube monoblocks

No, the Dave can't be used as a crossover, but you can put a low pass filter on the XLR outputs which is effectively what Ray has with his active woofers.

The spec you are looking for is very low output impedance (Zout) and enough voltage to get the power you need. Stereophile measure the output voltage and Zout of the RCA and headphone jacks to be the same so I assume they are the same output stage. With output voltage max of around 6V at +3 dB it should be able to develop about 4.5 watts into an 8 ohm load and half that into 16 ohms assuming it can deliver enough current. It will get close as they measured a Zout of .5 ohm so it won't make quite 4.5 watts but plenty  for my horns. The Zout from the XLR was measured at 66 ohms. Fine into a power amp or preamp but too high to use to drive speakers. 

So you will be looking for a DAC that has a high quality volume control with a headphone output with enough oomph to drive the speakers. I would think any headphone amp that is happy with 8 ohm headphones is a candidate. The DAVE volume control is also exceptional since it works after the signal is upsampled to a very high rate which gives them a lot of room to work with before losing resolution like you do with digital volume controls at lower rates. 

I tried this with the headphone out of my Antelope Eclipse 384 and it worked very well.  Well enough I sold a DCS Rossini  intending to stick with the Eclipse until I saw this article about the DAVE. Pro Audio interfaces like this have very good DACs in them too so even though the DAVE is better, for the money the pro audio route is a very attractive alternative. The Antelope is unusual in that it has a volume control that works in the analog domain with relays switching resistors so no worries about resolution. 

Have fun

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

On 6/12/2020 at 2:15 PM, bbosler said:

so here we are, debating on a Paul Hynes supply for the ±15VDC to the DAVE. It is over $1000 more than the Keces.. $1500 vs. $400

1140245391_Stereopower.thumb.jpg.bc5060ae5a66e2f02e53a643b18e4ab3.jpg

What's to debate? ;)

The speed and stability of the PH supplies is outstanding.  You should be able to hear it quite well on the analog outputs stage of DAVE.  I'm am (VERY) patiently waiting for my Paul Hynes SR7 to work its way to the front of the custom build queue, so I'm sticking with my Sean Jacobs DC3 supply for now, but I would love to hear a PH supply on the DAVE.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

On 6/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, avagadro said:

I'm so impressed by the use of the Chord Dave as your power section. What sort of metric/spec are you looking for in the RCA output to decide if it's capable of running ultra efficient speakers? Also, is there any individual adjustment (cutoff freq) able to be made in the Dave between RCA and XLR outputs? ...I guess I'm asking if it can function as an active crossover

The Voxativ 9.87 has been a dream system of mine since I heard it at a show a few years ago. I've modeled my own system in it's spirit, albeit at a much lower level, with Klipsch Heresy's sitting atop REL T9i's. I would love to explore an alternative to my 3W SET tube monoblocks

I think it is inevitable that Rob Watts (designer of the DAVE) adds digital equalization to his DACs at some point, but alas, Chord DACs currently do not have this feature.  The full signal is sent from each output.  With the 9.87 Pi units, they have a natural fall off around 40Hz.  The Pi bass units have an active control for gain, low pass frequency, and phase (with a couple other things).  I tune these to blend with the natural response of the 4D drivers.  The good news is that there are no cross overs on the DAVE to 4D driver path (direct wire connection from DAVE to driver), which gives maximum transparency over nearly all the frequency range.

Thanks for this very informative and well written review.

I had considered the Extreme at some point, but I must confess that it being based on Windows 10 was enough to remove it from my list (together with it's weight, I see zero reason why it weighting 43kg instead of 20kg would deliver real value).

Many have compared in the past Win10 to dedicated Linux builds and the conclusion always was that Linux is superior due to it being more lean.

What is your view on this aspect?

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

1 hour ago, bernardl said:

Thanks for this very informative and well written review.

I had considered the Extreme at some point, but I must confess that it being based on Windows 10 was enough to remove it from my list (together with it's weight, I see zero reason why it weighting 43kg instead of 20kg would deliver real value).

Many have compared in the past Win10 to dedicated Linux builds and the conclusion always was that Linux is superior due to it being more lean.

What is your view on this aspect?

Cheers,

Bernard

Hi Bernard, I’m trying to follow your reasoning on this one with respect to weight. Can you help me a little bit?Do you move your music server to different locations often? In that case I can see weight being a factor. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png