IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 5 of 5)

Thanks for this very informative and well written review.

I had considered the Extreme at some point, but I must confess that it being based on Windows 10 was enough to remove it from my list (together with it's weight, I see zero reason why it weighting 43kg instead of 20kg would deliver real value).

Many have compared in the past Win10 to dedicated Linux builds and the conclusion always was that Linux is superior due to it being more lean.

What is your view on this aspect?

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Bernard, I’m trying to follow your reasoning on this one with respect to weight. Can you help me a little bit?Do you move your music server to different locations often? In that case I can see weight being a factor. 

My main question wasn't on the weight, it was on the usage of Windows 10 as an OS. 🙂

As far as weight goes, I don't move my server regularly, but my thinking is that I need to be able to move my audio equipment by myself. The only exception I still accept is speakers, but they are located on top of boards which makes them easy to move after initial positioning.

Besides, frankly speaking, I don't see why it has to be that heavy. To me it feels like an over-specification for the sake of justifying a high price tag. Even the most powerful pro workstation on the planet, the HP Z8, maxed out with 4 high end graphic card and anything you can dream of, weights only 31kg.

Note that I don't mind the price if the quality is at the right level, which it seems to be. But I would be far more willing to pay that price if the server had a reasonable weight, which to me means less than 25kg.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Bernard