IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 5 of 5)

29 minutes ago, bbosler said:

let me rephrase that, where does upstream that we have any control over begin? I obviously have no control over Qobuz and most of us are locked into a Modem or a few that our IP provider dictates. This modem often functions as a router with a switch, so you can run a cable direct from the modem box to the Extreme if you wish. So other than the  choice of ethernet cable into the Extreme, the stream I can control starts at the Extreme.

and to A'pops caution about SQ-sapping noise. I don't dispute that. I have an EtherRegen that I use on devices that are not optimized to be music servers like a Mac Mini and a Rossini DAC. I'm sure Apple gave little or no consideration to the SQ of their streaming, and the Rossini is a DAC with a streamer tacked on. This Extreme was built from the ground up to be a streamer and only a streamer. It should be able to handle the noise or whatever the Modem/router/switch throws at it. . I don't seem to be making my point so I'll give up on this 

Ray, thanks for the cabling info , now to locate a used DAVE at a good price.. Damn you :>)

I hear what your saying.  It would be nice to think that nothing ahead of this great product should make a difference.  The only thing I would add, is that when the regen was added there was a change in sound.  Was/is it better or worse? To our reviewer it made it better.  On another system it may not be as noticeable or dramatic.  I've read in other threads that the regen (in any of it's variations) didn't make any changes to the sound of there system.  Convenience of wiring through my house is why I bought one (regen). 

BTW, excellent review/mini series @ray-dude

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet