IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 5 of 5)

21 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Not at all, but to Alan's point.. if I paid that for a car I would expect it to come with the ideal tires. The only variable for tires would be the road conditions, but that analogy fails as the conditions in his living room are not changing.

If a $26K server is so profoundly affected by the choice of cables or Ethernet switches or whatever then there is a problem with the server. If it is so profoundly affected by an ethernet switch then it doesn't work properly.

All the attributes that I heard before with the EtherREGEN are back - increased speed and control (especially for bass), more subtlety and detail, awesome openness and sense of space

That should have been dealt with in the design and implementation. If my $1K NUC or Mac Mini is better with a  $640 EtherRegen then I accept that, it makes sense to me. If I paid $26K and it was I would be pissed.

That said, I have no problem with anybody spending whatever they want playing around with this stuff. I get it. I see it as somebody who has the means entertaining themselves with their disposable income. 

My 2 cents: 

The road analogy actually works pretty well. While the individual domestic conditions do not change drastically (apart from e.g. daily power fluctuations), globally the circumstances vary greatly. Power grid in rural areas vs inner city grid, PowerLan in the house or not, number of shared networks / access points, all variables that affect the final outcome. There is no one size fits all solution (=ideal tires) which will be best everywhere, Ray has found his optimal settings (so far) through an incredible systematic approach, however that does not necessarily mean his current solution will be the best in everyone's system.

Cheers!

Christoph 

Consultant to Taiko Audio