IGNORED

Best Server Currently to replace the Zenith SE

13 minutes ago, Summit said:

I don’t know which to get, but believe that Network optimization will enhance your sound no matter which one you ultimately choose. The improvement on SOTA source goes fast and therefore I would choose one which the company say it will upgrade and/or that you can change vital components in like in the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme.

Agree,

if you have the money the Extreme is by far the best choice.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

8 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

For long runs, I prefer wireless (where I use the TPLink RE650) or FO rather than standard CAT5 or Cat 6 cable. 

BTW, did you compare wireless vs. FO, if yes what was the outcome?

Thanks

Matt

1 hour ago, Yorkshireman said:

I currently have two systems on the go on the digital side of things both using the Zenith SE as a source component.

System1. 

Zenith SE > Allnic D5000 dac using Tellurium Q Black USB > Naim Nac 52 Pre amp using Custom HiFi Cables Silver RCA - DIn cable > Naim Snaxo Crossover > 4x Naim Nap 135 Mono Blocks > Naim SBL speakers using Naim Nac A5 speaker cable.

System 2.

Zenith SE > Chord M Scaler using Tellurium Q Black USB > Chord Hugo TT2 dac > Allnic T2000 KT150 Integrated amplifier using Tellurium Q Ultra Silver XLR > Naim SBL speakers using Naim Nac A5 speaker cable. (currently looking for a new speaker for this system and a new speaker cable to go with them).

All currently powered using a Musicline Powerigel (hedgehog) 6 way mains block.

As I normally use the Zenith for playback from the SSD I haven't really spent a lot of time or money on upgrading and improving of the internet switch side of things but will be looking into trying to make improvements in this area going forward.

Congrats,

you have two great systems.

With your Naims you are for sure familiar with the "Source First" principle.

So I would put "extreme" efforts into looking for the best server for your set-ups. 🙂

Matt

21 minutes ago, Yorkshireman said:

The Taiko Audio mini or junior sounds like it will be interesting but I guess it could be years before that's out and available to purchase...

A quote from Taiko Audio:

"We have been working on new product releases which we intended to launch at the now cancelled Munich high-end show. Those are going to be delayed for several months as several of our subcontractors are working at reduced capacity."

According to this it is not far away. I would contact Emile from TA via "contact" on their HP for further info.

Matt

8 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

You will be in the same predicament in six months because these servers are based in part on computer hardware which is constantly changing. Your decision should be based on the capability and performance of the unit as a whole since you are using it as server and player/renderer. I decouple the server from the player/renderer in the my system over the network. This allows me to consider server capabilities separately from the player/renderer performance.         

Several audiophiles found now that when the server has a certain quality level the server alone does sound better than as a combo with an additional endpoint.

Matt

10 minutes ago, Yorkshireman said:

There is of course the Phoenix as an upgrade for the SE but I'd rather just make the jump the the Statement.

Agree, afaik all reviewers mentioned that the SE plus Phoenix is inferior to the Statement.

The question is if you are happy with the Statement in the long term.

Matt

35 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Hi Matt,

I’d just say that there are plenty of simple and reasonably inexpensive upgrades that will elevate the Statement’s performance to way beyond what most people dream is even possible from both local and remote streamed audio. Take those in conjunction with the 2 most recent InnuOS SW upgrades and I can’t see anyone becoming dissatisfied with the Statement’s SQ for quite a long time. Bear in mind that a well set up Statement makes Radio Swiss Classic internet radio at 128kbps sound absolutely wonderful. The recordings, musicianship and musical selections are first rate and that together with the Statement’s streaming SQ make for a very compelling proposition that fulfils all the usual audiophile requirements of tonal accuracy, PRaT, and spacial resolution.  While lt lacks the ultimate power and frequency extension of higher resolution material, the thing it reminds me most of are my concert hall experiences. 

I understand your POV.

After reading the complete Taiko thread and other threads on WBF and particularly the impressions of @romaz it is my most honest opinion that I would not buy the Statement. I found with @romaz an reviewer who has similar priorities regarding music playback like me, the same is true for Emile Bok from Taiko Audio. 

Further I listened to Innuos at several Munich HE shows from the beginning and never liked the sonic signature, this includes the Statement.

But YMMV, this is OK

Matt

15 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

In my system my modem and router are on the ground floor on one side of a staircase and my hi-fi room is on the 1st floor on the other side of the stairs.

Thanks, this is a similar situation like in my home.

I use WiFi as well and like it, but it is by far much less optimised than yours.

I am very curious about the upcoming findings of Emile regarding WiFi with the Extreme.

Sorry for being OT.

Matt

1 hour ago, FredM said:

Talking about ‘best’ and even making a comparison with the Statement, while the Extreme jr isn’t available yet is speculation.

The question is if the OP wants to buy now or wait until more alternatives are released.

IMO, SQ should have top priority.

Matt

9 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

While I am sure an Extreme sounds incredible, when I read the reviews of Romaz and more recently Ray Dude, it could be me writing about the Statement......read some of my reviews and opinions and you’ll see the similarity and use of the self same adjectives. 

I am glad that you are happy with the Statement.

Enjoy 🙂

Matt

14 minutes ago, Summit said:

What kind of server do you have?

Looking as well for a server in the price range of Taiko Mini Extreme or Extreme.

Listening at the moment with my travel system MBP/Audirvana/Qobuz, no local files, streaming only.

Matt

28 minutes ago, Summit said:

Okay Taiko Extreme seems like quite an upgrade to what you have now. Which DAC, amp and speakers are you going to use with the Extreme, if you don’t mind me asking?

DAC tba

Modified Exposure Pre/Power

High sensitivity two-way JBLs