IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 4 of 5)

thanks for the great insights Ray-dude!

i'd love to get a sense of the distance(s) you've covered since going down the rabbit hole.

in some overall sense (however you define it), how would you rate the streaming relative performance (0-100 to get an approx. sense of scale)

0.  pre-optimized NUC/network

1.  your optimized NUC + network system

2.  plain vanilla Extreme

3.  your optimized Extreme + network

4 hours ago, ray-dude said:

I did consider adding something like, but I couldn't figure out how to do it cleanly (even if qualitatively).  I can compare NUC to NUC++ and Extreme to Extreme++ though (and I will below).  

Originally, I intended to have the bulk of the review being NUC vs Extreme (similar to your outline), but it is such a different experience between the two, and Extreme (and presumably other high power servers) is doing something with dynamics that I simply haven't heard before.

For Extreme, I'd say 6 or 7 out of the box going to a 9 with optimization (completely different scale that what I used for NUC above...I can't meaningfully compare the Extreme to the NUC).  Out of the box, the Extreme is WAY beyond anything I've ever heard (shockingly so).  With all the optimizations, that goodness just keeps getting better, but it is not introducing something fundamentally new to the party.

That being said, the starting point of the Extreme is so damn high, any improvement put a huge smile on my face (kid in the candy store stuff).

thanks Ray, i understand.  it seems like the extreme is somewhere over the horizon (or rainbow?) relative to the NUC and NUC++.

hopefully someday we'll be out of lockdown and i'll get a chance to head into NYC and experience this for myself.

for now, living vicariously through you and others for now......................