IGNORED

Is now the right time for "Extreme Week"?

22 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

In my view it's the extensive, five-part, epic coverage of this "supercomputer" which makes me feel a bit uneasy. The most expensive equipment get the longest, most pompous articles for dramatic effect of course, but there's something outdated in the whole idea.

We've never done this before. It seems you may have seen other sites do this or something? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Foggie said:

I was going to comment in Ray's extreme comment area but this seemed a better place....The Dave as a preamp and amp? A very different take and implementation no doubt.  Comparing that to a tube pre with mono's or an integrated etc.. would prove different results and more than likely significant (either way) IMHO.

Which leads me to say, Ray's journey/write up is but a snap shot specific to him and his environment IMHO.  Its an interesting read for sure and its very cool to see how much he is enjoying this!  THAT is what its all about.  I would be too with a new toy for sure!

I don't want to veer too OT, but I think people have to realize or at least put into context and to use Ray as an example, he is doing his own thing and making his own conclusions for what works for him, which is GREAT and is something everyone NEEDS to do.  Following the opinion of an individual for a good read, and for use as a data point is fine, but I think some get way too caught up in taking someone else's findings as an absolute?  It may or may not at all correlate with ones own system/experience, many times it doesn't => "Jim says its so, so it must be".  

It's fun to see how others eval, setup and relay their findings, but again, its their findings.  Enjoy your own journey, learn from others what's applicable to you and don't worry where or what the "bar" is at, its not a competition.  Peace

Well said. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

41 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Forgive me, but I would like to directly address the elephant in the room:

If there is an Extreme Week for Equipment, isn't it only right and just that there be (drumroll...) an Extreme Week for Music?

What say you?

I could've kicked it off with my Three Blind Mice article! If only I had four other great musical discoveries to share!

21 minutes ago, Allan F said:

To a certain, but not extreme degree it is. It may be relative or comparative. One has to view it in context. When we are talking about very expensive items that few people have the means to purchase, the term is inapplicable. Given both the very high price and the fact that capable music servers can be bought for a small fraction of the cost, there is absolutely no way that a $27,000 server can be described as "affordable". There are no doubt instances where the use of the term is debatable, but this is certainly not one of them.

I’d say affordable has no relation to what other products are available.