IGNORED

Is now the right time for "Extreme Week"?

36 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Perhaps not to you and me, but I guarantee that there are people out there to whom $27,000 is chump change.

Money means different things to different people. 

A buddy of mine is thinking of spending $70K on the new 2021 Corvette. He gasped when I told I was thinking about spending $4K on a new stereo amplifier. (and he knows how good $10K+ equipment sounds) His other friend spent $150K recently on a new car. 

Of course, $150K to my buddy is outrageous, but $70K to him is totally worth it. To me, $4K is absolutely reasonable to get the best sound quality, especially something that will last me the rest of my life. (unlike a car, which will lose its value very rapidly and last only a few short years compared to a stereo component)

Either way, no one should feel guilty about purchasing what they want, when they want, as long as their family is provided for. The rest of the world is not your responsibility, nor should you feel pressured to not enjoy yourself just because someone else can't afford what you can. 

BTW, this is isn't the first time this has come up:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/in-the-middle-of-a-pandemic-stereophile-reviews-30k-equipment

Honestly, if one is concerned about spending "too much" on luxury items, you're probably in the wrong hobby in the wrong places. Nobody "needs" any of this stuff, when a pair of cheap speakers/headphones and a laptop PC will do "good enough". 

The audio hobby is supposed to be fun. I wouldn't drop $27K on an audio server (probably?) but that doesn't mean I don't like reading about them and having fun looking at all the new toys and technology in my hobby. I'm in the hobby to escape the world, not feel guilty or concerned about what I should be doing/reading instead. 

18 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't disagree with you at all. I was able to purchase my Porsche used for just that reason...

An associate of ours got his fully loaded vehicle that was probably $35 - $40K  for $17K with barely any miles on it for that reason as well.