IGNORED

Article: Reality Quest: Going to Extremes with the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme (Part 2 of 5)

On 5/19/2020 at 10:49 PM, bbosler said:

So then we see a retraction from Taiko that the Roon update did not affect sound quality

did I miss something? If the reviewer heard "significant adverse impact" after this Roon update while no other changes were made, and then discovers there was no adverse impact, doesn't that cast some doubt about the whole review?

Yes, I am extremely skeptical that the "extreme" measures taken by this device are beneficial.  I think it is "extremely" likely that when someone spends $30K they expect to hear significant improvements and it is well proven we often hear what we want to or expect to hear.  I will wait for further explanation, but it does raise the  the "extremely" logical question about expectation bias.

Hi @bbosler,

I received my Extreme 3 days ago and spoke with Emile via WhatsApp as he helped me with setup and configuration.

I was previously using a NUC/Euphony Stylus server so I am not familiar with Roon.

I asked him about the Roon update issue and he reassured me that it has been resolved.

As I understand it, most Extreme users use JPlay as an output for Roon.

It seems that particular Roon update did not work properly with JPlay but it wasn't apparent initially and the sound degradation was attributed to Roon itself. 

Clearly after further examination, the issue was discovered and hence the retraction.

As I use a Chord DAVE like @ray-dude, Emile configured my Roon output with Chord ASIO driver.

I can attest to the fact that the improvement in sound is very clear and NOT due to expectation bias even cold out of the box.

Hope this helps.

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II