IGNORED

So Cool - C-LOCK Power Connection Guard

36 minutes ago, davide256 said:

until you trip on the cord and rip the socket/plug out of the wall... bad idea. This would never pass UL testing. Plug locks should have a limited strength, separate before

damaging the outlet

There is risk to everything in life. Power outlets are great, until one sticks a knife into one. The key is do minimize risk in a realistic way. Tripping over a cord is possible, but the risk can be minimized. I never walk behind my equipment and don't think most people can even fit back there. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

In which case you shouldn't need a C-LOCK Power Connection Guard unless you have a cat or  puppy ¬¬

I guess my experience is vastly different from yours. 

Do you see this product as something to only be used to stop people from pulling cables out of the wall if they trip on the cable?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, SJK said:

Quarter turn lock receptacles have been around forever on the commercial side of things and for that very reason - not wanting to have power interrupted from a plug dropping out from the receptacle at the worst time.

This looks like a really cool and clever way of accomplishing the same thing.  For any plug/receptacle in a vertical alignment, gravity always works against you.  Consider this as the "anti-gravity" plug for your stereo.

Now, back to the age old question.  Should the ground pin on the duplex receptacle be oriented up or down?  

When I started in the trade, the thought was the ground pin went down, because it was the biggest, strongest, and if the plug was pulled down from the receptacle it would be the last to break.

In later years, some people decided that the ground pin should be oriented up when installing the receptacle, based on the fact that being bigger and stronger it would better resist pullout, and if it did not expose a live terminal.  

I wonder if there could be differences in the sonic qualities with either orientation?  :)

I believe it's mandated in some states that receptacles must be installed sideways. Seems like change just for change.

10 minutes ago, SJK said:

I think the wiring and contact area for a residential duplex receptacle is more than suitable for the stated rating of AC 120 V and 15 A.  That's generally derated to 80% by code for a maximum of 12 A - they want to avoid nuisance trips.

One of the things, however, that often gets overlooked is when the receptacle design changed from side screws to include those push pin holes at the back.  It makes the receptacle or switch easier to install, but creates a failure point.  A light spring tension with a knife edge is the only contact!  Depending on the loading, that connection will fail in three to five years or more.  I can't even count how many of those I've changed over the years.

When I do wiring in my house as part of renovations, I use the screw terminals only - on everything.  It's a quick and simple check for power continuity for anyone, if those back push pins are being used change it to the screw connection.  This is presuming, of course, people can do that safely and without placing themselves at risk.  

Have a look at the two images with this post.  The first shows the contact area using the push pin - that doesn't look like a connection rated for 12 A.  The second image shows the difference in quality between a $3 residential receptacle and a $30 heavy duty commercial version, rough numbers of course.

Sometimes you're better off just buying a Hubbell HBL series to connect your stereo, and that's likely what the "cryogenic audiophile" version is. 

Picture1.thumb.jpg.a69d3404083b9378e3ae9d40cd0c7efd.jpgPicture2.thumb.jpg.94df3a38ec3c9e4e7c801ee606414365.jpg

Excellent info!