Jump to content
musicfirst

I Finally Replaced my Yggdrasil A2 With?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Please share your findings.  Mine was replaced by the Metrum Adagio, but I am, once again looking to upgrade with a substantially higher budget. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest watching for the review that should go up on this site a week from tomorrow.

 

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Terminator.


Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | Sablon cabling

 

Desktop: IsoRegen | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 | Elac S10 sub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Exocer said:

Rockna Wavedream XLR

excited to hear both this dac and it's new little brother, I own a yggy gs and love it but have the itch to move on up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jp11801 said:

excited to hear both this dac and it's new little brother, I own a yggy gs and love it but have the itch to move on up!

 

Interested in your impressions! Sadly I do not think I have an opportunity to hear one in my system any time soon.

 

I recently upgraded to a Yggdrasil A2 w/ Unison from a Topping DX7S. Substantial upgrade for me and I think this is where I will stay for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, Exocer said:

I recently upgraded to a Yggdrasil A2 w/ Unison from a Topping DX7S. Substantial upgrade for me and I think this is where I will stay for years to come.

 

IIUC, you have both the Yggy A2 Unison and the Rockna Wavedream XLR.

Please, can you share some impressions about how they compare?

Thanks

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, matthias said:

 

IIUC, you have both the Yggy A2 Unison and the Rockna Wavedream XLR.

Please, can you share some impressions about how they compare?

Thanks

 

Matt

Unfortunately I do not have both. The Yggy A2 Unison is the highest-end DAC i've owned. The Rockna wavedream XLR was more of a recommendation because I've read subjective high praise from at least one happy Yggy A2 Unison owner. They were absolutely blown away by the Rockna. I have yet to actually hear one, let alone in my system with proper control variables in place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replaced my Yggy with a Lampizator Golden Gate 2. It was a worthwhile upgrade but I still have fond memories of the Yggy. It did a lot of things right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrkoven said:

 

Using the little brother for about 2 weeks now and quite impressed so far... I've owned the Yggy A2, DAVE, Terminator and a few other notable DACs in the past but my system has changed w/ each so it's hard to draw comparisons especially from memory.. all I can say is I think it sounds remarkable. To be honest I waited months to grab a second-hand Mola Tambaqui or Aqua Formula but none popped up so I decided to give the Wavelight a go given all the Wavedream acclaim. No regrets!

 

 

_DSC7580.jpg

 

What is the price of the little brother?

 

Thanks

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matthias said:

 

What is the price of the little brother?

 

Thanks

 

Matt

 

The US retail is 4,750. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mrkoven said:

The US retail is 4,750. 

 

Thanks, when it sounds like it looks....... 🙂

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently replaced my Yggy A2 with a Bricasti M12. If you don’t need analog inputs then the M1se is all you need or maybe the M21. I use the internal Ethernet card for streaming rather than the Sonore Signature SE optical which I have subsequently sold. I enjoyed a Yggy but no question the Bricasti has superior SQ plus allowed me to sell my preamp, Dac and streamer . Absolutely no regrets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe with new AKM4499 chips and cheap option, it is going to be easy to evaluate high price DACs. Maybe after two years the market of expensive DACs will shrink dramatically. Only good R2R or FPGA will may justify there price with high cost of BOM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2020 at 8:31 AM, mrkoven said:

 

Using the little brother for about 2 weeks now and quite impressed so far... I've owned the Yggy A2, DAVE, Terminator and a few other notable DACs in the past but my system has changed w/ each so it's hard to draw comparisons especially from memory.. all I can say is I think it sounds remarkable. To be honest I waited months to grab a second-hand Mola Tambaqui or Aqua Formula but none popped up so I decided to give the Wavelight a go given all the Wavedream acclaim. No regrets!

 

 

_DSC7580.jpg

 

Please share your long term impressions with this DAC.

Did you compare to the bigger brother?

I am very curious 🙂

 

Thanks

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrkoven said:

 

Well I'm not great at eloquent impressions to be honest... I guess what I can say is my most memorable, unique, DAC experience was DAVE but after many DACs I've come to realize my preference leans towards R2R and I'm easily as happy w/ the Wavelight as any past DAC. Too bad I don't have DAVE anymore to compare - from memory I don't feel like I'm missing it's resolution or transparency, but it's hard to say w/o a direct A/B. All I have (had) now is the DAC3 which I recently sold after two weeks of comparison. Wavelight stands out to me as smooth, organic, and notably holographic. It's lush but not smeared. It's sharp but not etched. All in all it's liquid and grainless to me. I plan to take it up a notch w/ the Wavelight Server I²S pairing once released next month or so. Although the Mola Tambaqui still piques my interest, I think I'll be happy w/ the Wavelight front end for a long while. FWIW I listen to headphones primarily via Susvara. I have never tried the Wavedream either.

Thank you.

 

Edit because I missed the headphones detail at the end of your post.

 

Have you tried any of the mentioned DACs with 2-channel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Exocer said:

Thank you.

 

Edit because I missed the headphones detail at the end of your post.

 

Have you tried any of the mentioned DACs with 2-channel?

 

I am using it in my headphone system with a Bakoon AMP-13R and Hifiman Susvara. I have not tried it in my modest 2 channel, which is simply a Naim Uniti all-in-one w/ Dynaudio Special 40. I may try hooking it up to the Naim one day though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mrkoven

 

On the Rockna HP they mentioned two modes: R2R 25 bit + Hybrid mode (in development)

 

Do you have further info about this "Hybrid mode"?

 

Thanks

 

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...