IGNORED

Standing mounted speaker positioning

Hi, so I’m looking for a quick bit of advice.

I’ve got a pair of B&W PM1 Speakers on stands, and I’ve got them on the spikes.

i’m absolutely fine with setting them up normally, The only problem is i’m in a wheelchair which is higher than a normal seated position So the Tweeter lines up somewhere around my chest.

so I’ve measured everything and the centre of the tweeter is 29 cm lower than my ear.

Now obviously that’s going to be a rather thick concrete plinth or something I’m going to have to get. But I would just like to ask some advice if it’s better to get a thick concrete plinth to raise the speaker? or to somehow tilt angle them so they’re pointing slightly upwards towards my ear position?

thanks for any suggestions

18 hours ago, Abtr said:

I don't know about B&W, but KEF advices that their LS50 speakers be placed on 65 cm stands which positions the (coaxial) tweeter about 20cm lower than my ears when I sit in a normal chair (IKEA Poäng). Maybe the bass response and slight off-axis mid/high response of the KEFs is supposed to be best at 65 cm, though I personally use them at 72 cm stands (with tweeters 13 cm lower than my ears).. I think you'll have to try what works best with the B&Ws.. I guess you could tilt the speakers but that would only work for a listening position at a specific distance..   

thanks Abtr

yeah I’ve done all the calculations, trigonometry... to work out the angle required and how much to raise the front of the speaker to reach my listening position. It’s not too much.

Just was hoping for a bit of experience if anyone has tilted speakers bfore and see if anyone knows if it ruins the sound stage... 

because of my disability, doing anything like this isn’t something I can fiddle about with, I have to organise someone to do it and then have to wait until they’re available again to put it back if I find out it’s terrible.
So trying to get as much information as I can before I think about trying it would help, and save me the annoyance of having to live with tilted speakers that may sound terrible until I can get someone to put them back again.

Although after further research I have found a speaker, the JBL L100, that has titled stands directing sound to the listening position, so can’t be that bad.
anyway thanks mate

20 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I had the same issue; in one of my systems the tweeters were too low, in the other the tweeter were too high. I bought a suitably sized pair of ISO-stands from IsoAcoustics for each system. The sound improved immensely, due to the tweeter being angled suitably, but also due to improved isolation. Highly recommended.

The manufacturer's website seems broken right now, but you can find a lot of references and reviews online. They are available on Amazon for good prices. I'm not sure what size your speakers would need, you would have to measure. 

https://www.amazon.com/IsoAcoustics-ISO-155-Isolation-Stands-Monitors/dp/B07D3TMSJ4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1CWQ4XTZDNFMX&dchild=1&keywords=isoacoustics+iso-155&qid=1589905875&sprefix=isoacous%2Caps%2C173&sr=8-2

This video is for an older series, but looks are similar to ISO-xxxx and assembly is the same.

Hi audiobomber,

thanks for your reply.

Yeah they look perfect I’ll see if I can find any in the UK, cheers mate

Thanks davide256 Also

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, audiobomber said:

The IsoAcoustics site is back now, lots of info there. https://isoacoustics.com/

According to their calculator you would use the pro audio ISO-L8R200, but that is a legacy product, replaced by the higher performing ISO-200. The audiophile version is the Aperta200. I'm not sure whether they perform the same as the ISO-200, or whether the difference is aesthetic.

The Aperta is available in UK, on Amazon and here, probably elsewhere:

https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/category/isoacoustics-speaker-isolation-stands

ISO-200 is widely available:

https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=isoacoustics&as_epq=iso-200&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=countryGB&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Hi audiobomber,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I went ahead and ordered one pair of IsoAcoustics Aperta 155’s, and set them 4°.

Tried them without tilt to begin with and the sound was so much tighter and so much more revealed, amazing. 

After tilting the tweeters directly towards my ears the soundstage sprung to life.

It really is surprising how much more you can get out of a speaker, even when the stands were already manufactured only for those speakers.

Very very happy, thanks for the advice.

9919BEB6-ADAA-40A2-95D7-0D75F19C22C0.jpeg

FD7293DE-1E34-4174-A755-F9F728A2CBEF.jpeg

2463C5FB-5EDF-457B-BEA8-70EA597FC392.jpeg