IGNORED

Channel Classics catalogue with 30-50% discount on Qobuz

13 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Side note: I'm not sure I fully subscribe to this. I like some of them (particularly 1 and 4) but not all of them will be universally appreciated:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2015/07/08/ivan-fischers-mahler-9-or-what-to-make-of-critical-reviews/

I guess that's a side effect of Mahler's works, even Walter and Klemperer who both worked directly with Mahler iat some point interpret his symphonies wildly differently. So YMMV as well. 

I hope you didn't interpret my comment to mean that the Fischer recordings are the best? Because — that's not what I was saying. That's a very high bar. The only Fischer recording that comes close to best for me is the 3rd. 

Anyway — the point I was making was that the FIscher Mahler albums at £8 and change are great value, and I've already bought all of the ones I didn't already own. They join several other worthy versions in my collection, notably the MTT/San Francisco and the Zander/Philharmonia cycles.

Your preferences can — and clearly do — vary!

@ted_b

Ted, you may be able to clarify the provenance of the Qobuz 24/192 downloads from Channel Classics. Is my understanding correct that:

• older releases were recorded in DSD64, newer ones in DSD256
  • Mixing is done in DXD (24/384) and mastered to 24/192?

This isn't a criticism — quite the contrary! I just wish more labels were as transparent.