IGNORED

I am having a problem and hoping someone here can help...

4 hours ago, 4est said:

This might sound crazy, but I had a HDD on an iMac on my desk that induced tinnitus. It was barely audible, and the tinnitus subsided after replacing the drive. I am not suggesting that that is what is happening here, but in that there may be other factors at play.

Interesting... I do have external spinning drives here on my desk...  I should start looking farther and wider for the culprit.

I really am not keen on getting rid of this equipment.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, 4est said:

This might sound crazy, but I had a HDD on an iMac on my desk that induced tinnitus. It was barely audible, and the tinnitus subsided after replacing the drive.

There’s subjective tinnitus, which originates within the neurologic system and is heard only by the affected person. And there’s objective tinnitus, which has an identifiable source and can be heard by others.  Examples of the latter include a vascular hum, a carotid bruit, or one’s heartbeat, all of which may be heard externally in the case of a dehiscent jugular bulb or an aberrant carotid. These are often diagnosed by putting a stethoscope over the ear canal or high under the back of the mandible.  Extraneous sound when near a specific hard drive is far more likely to be objective and to have originated in the drive than in a response of the listener’s neurologic system to it.

The characteristics of the sound(s) are often a clue to the causes of tinnitus, regardless of its nature or source.  If I heard a faint high pitched whining or similar sound when near a drive, especially in both ears, I’d suspect a mechanical problem like a bearing and ask others if they hear it too.  I’d stick a mic against it, record a few seconds of activity, and look for adventitious levels in the spectrum display in Audacity or whatever you use.  

Yes, you are correct, esp if it's a sudden on come and in one ear only with no easily recognized trauma being done to them. Many years of hanging over monitors and next to PA's, and one My Bloody Valentine show in particular, and I know personally there's not much to be done in my case. But others will be different.

I had a scare a couple weeks back that ended me up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. It wasn't, though symptoms scarily lingered until a few days ago when I gave up coffee and they've almost entirely disappeared (as well as the associated panic attacks). Still going for more tests though (stress echo tomorrow) as one can never be too sure. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

17 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I remember that you said that you were a battlefield doc. If you were exposed to extremely load noise from say nearby gunfire and/or concussive energy from an explosion, then remember to tell the ENT that. I have read that sometimes these incidents can cause problems later in life. And, Thank You for Your Service.

Please let us know what the outcome of your visit is to the extent that you are comfortable.

Yep, that's what caused the initial tinnitus that I have been dealing with ever since. What led to the sudden massive increase though, I have no idea. I have some guesses, but right now I don't know for sure.

I appreciate the sentiment of thanking me, but I really don't need it and don't really feel comfortable accepting it.

No electron left behind.

13 hours ago, bluesman said:

The normal human auditory system is most sensitive at 3500-4000 Hz.  There’s a second slightly lower peak at about 13k that seems to represent the 3rd harmonic of the resonant frequency of the external ear canal.  But in-ear phones plug the canal, which both raises that frequency to far above audibility (eliminating it as a contributor to SPL) and blocks transmission of ambient sound to the tympanic membrane.  

The major factor affecting SPL in the truncated canal remains the SPL at the transducer. All canal resonance is shifted upward and the contributions from the external ear are eliminated. I’ve never seen a study that measured this with in-the-canal transducers (which is what I assume is meant by inner earphones).

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/maxsens.html

Hi Bluesman

importantly the quote was from the paper I attached so I offer it only as worth considering.

They found impairment IIRC that 4000 Hz which would accord with other sources of where the human auditory system is most sensitive. As they say "especially at high frequencies for which our  hearing  system  is  most  sensitive."

Thanks for the info about ear canal resonances and why that would shift those frequencies up to inaudible.

It was the the authors of that paper who claimed a 6dB rise in SPL using "inside earphones". I have no idea whether this has been verified but they do present empirical evidence to support that this type of listening causes more hearing damage.

I also have mild tinnitus. On different forums many people report spikes in tinnitus after using headphones and only recommend listening with conventional speakers. This is anecdotal and hotly debated (what isn't hotly debated??). 🙂

Sound Minds Mind Sound

16 hours ago, bluesman said:

But if the SPL were 6 dB higher at the same gain settings, you’d turn it down 6 dB to the level you prefer.  Is there an audiophile so foolish as to leave the volume higher than desired because the equipment made it so?  Please tell me there is not 😏

More to the point, you would not even know it was 6dB higher, as in higher than what. So yes, it is hard to know what the authors meant by this.

As I mentioned my intuitive but non verified concern is that in-ear transducers transform the ear canal into a sealed piston and may couple sharp changes in SPL more aggressively to the tympanic membrane although overall SPLs may be the same.The authors quote losing protective air space but do not provide any explanation or evidence.

Notwithstanding any speculation on the mechanism, their objective findings of greater hearing impairment at 4k stands but unsure whether such results have been reproducible.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

32 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

If he's right, it's good news. Not only can I turn the speakers on and keep the volume down, but it means my hearing is likely to return to normal.

I hope it does! Mine was really bad during and after the staph infection I had (septic arthritis in right shoulder). The months on IV antibiotics probably didn't help either.

Thanks for the update. Consider the magnesium supplement. I don't think there is any danger with that but you would know best Doc.

Glad to hear that(no pun intended) too bad about the MRI- hopefully the tinnitus will go away or lessen— did you ever think of cannabis the 1:1 cream THC to CBD rubbed on your ear lobe the vestibule and behind the ear maybe the tinnitus is an inflammatory reaction ( the extreme would be the tincture in the ear canal) in either case it would make listening to the DEAD more enjoyable

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, I can't get an MRI because I may have metal fragments too close to my head...  I am scheduled for an X-ray to check, but this was todays result condensed down to a few sentences.

My hearing was normal in both ears at my last hearing test in 2018.

"Moderate high-frequency hearing loss starting has 6000-8000 hertz on the left.

Normal hearing on the right"

typos are not mine...  ha.

Doc thinks I have an ear infection. I am started on steroids.

Great news that a potentially treatable cause was identified, fingers and toes crossed for you !!

Sound Minds Mind Sound

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 11:41 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I also have mild tinnitus. On different forums many people report spikes in tinnitus after using headphones and only recommend listening with conventional speakers. This is anecdotal and hotly debated (what isn't hotly debated??). 🙂

I would be very careful not to use the RAAL-requisite SR1a for lengthy periods as they have way more defined rising and falling edges of HF waveforms, which may possibly trigger the Tinittus ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Huh?

Chris

I am basing this on my own experience with Tinnitus, which the OP already has due to exposure to Occupation related high level sound exposure.

I am not suggesting that this should be a problem for those not suffering from Tinnitus.

However, very clean sounding Audio on headphones may sometimes result in  extended listening sessions at higher than desirable levels without some kind of SPL guide.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020