IGNORED

HQPlayer Pops & Ticks

Hi Chris, This type of behavior at DSD 512 has usually been a buffer issue for me. I will say that DSD 512 has always been problematic with HQP/NAA/Network combo. I have noticed that with HQP and DSD 512 the choice of filter can also cause problems. HQP is more resource use intensive than other upsampling/modulation engines I have tried. I had the same thing happen where Roon would do 512 on my machine (i5 8400) but HQP would have similar problems. It might just be that the CPU on your machine is struggling to keep up. There could also be a driver issue. If you can, try a Linux based NAA to see.

Try a few of the 2s filters and one of the less intensive modulators and see if that helps. I will say that on my DAC (Spring 2) DSD 256 EC sounds better than 512 non-EC (when I could get 512 to work). At 512 it takes a lot of CPU power to modulate and this puts a lot of stress on the motherboard resources as well. I just use 2s filters with the ASDM7EC modulator at DSD 256 and call it a day.

It sounds like it is time for a new HQP computer if you really want to experiment with the higher DSD rates like 512 and 1024. There are multiple conversations about this on various threads. I know I have mentioned this before but 256 is the max doable with currently available hardware using EC modulators. It would take a CPU capable of 8Ghz clock continuous on at least two cores to do 512 with EC modulators.

If you want to see what lengths some will go to, check out Tim's water cooled build on the Kitsune Audio site.

Good Luck,

Bob 

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Trust me, I’m brewing something up :~)

I figured that you would be doing that soon with all this sudden interest in NAA devices. If you are going to want to do some of the high intensity filters then pay close attention to the video card part as most if not all CPUs will will choke with high modulation rates and non-2s filters running at the same time. Especially the high tap filters like sinc M and closed form M and similar filters.