IGNORED

Article: Review | Innuos PhoenixUSB Reclocker

On 5/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, matthias said:

I would NEVER buy an USB reclocker because it is dependent on the USB signal you feed with.

So it is much better to have an UHQ USB host controller in the first place.

Matt

Why not both? I have Pink Faun Ultra USB, I wonder if a Phoenix would improve further? I’ll find out soon when my dealer open! 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ConcreteCow said:

I've now swapped the Phoenix I have on Demo over to the Ideon Master Time 3R also on demo loan.

There was no discernable sound difference compared to the Phoenix. I have even swapped the current USB cables out again for two David Laboga Expression Emerald USB cables to make sure all signals are equal in and out. I didn't like the sound. But then I probably need to get used to the 'new sound' after changing the USB cables. 

For the cost of each of these re-clockers I'm not hearing any major improvements to make the investment. Yes... very, very slight improvement in a tighter Bass and defined Treble but nothing of great note and no wider soundstage then I'm already getting without a re-clocker attached.

I think I have definitely narrowed my issue down to the DAC I'm using. My D90 MQA is no slouch or cheapie DAC, but in this instance, I believe a higher quality DAC is needed when 'playing' about with one of these re-clockers. 

So..... I think I will not take up any more time with these two re-clockers and allow others who may be in the queue to demo for themselves. I will now concentrate the designated funds on purchasing a higher grade DAC. I'm looking at the Chord Hugo TT2 but others are in the frame as well. Just depends now on what is available for home demo.

Unfortunately, I can't afford both a re-clocker and high grade DAC at once, but will happily try again once I get my new DAC sorted and settled by way of installation/run in and memorising the sound signature prior to attaching a re-clocker again.

It was an interesting experiment for me and shows that just by bolting on a item that, although reportedly very good by way of what it does and the positive online reviews, will not necessarily work to its maximum potential straight away in all systems regardless of what they are comprised of.

I will keep you updated as to my progress and thoughts very soon.

How long a break-in did you leave before you listening session? The Sean Jacobs design will take at least a month until you hear the real benefits. 

I’v just bought another SJ LPS. Now need to wait a month until it’s broken in. 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, edwardsean said:

This thread hasn't seen a post in a while but I thought this may be the best place to ask this question. 

I've been using a Phoenix in my chain to great effect for a while now. However, some think that it's categorically better to address the USB at the outset rather than fix it later. 

So, I've been wondering if I should swap out my Phoenix and install either a JCAT XE or Pink Faun USB w/ Ultra OCXO. 

Has anyone had experience comparing the two paths? 

Interesting question, I have a Pink Faun Ultra, I was wondering if the Phoenix would perform better than the pink faun. If affordable I was considering both. Or add this to the chain with new Sablon USB cable. 

9AFA8ECC-4BD5-40BA-80B8-1B722A385369.jpeg