IGNORED

Article: Review | Innuos PhoenixUSB Reclocker

The question I have is how using this straight from my laptop and then to my DAC would compare to the signature Optical Rendu system from Sonore. Certainly cheaper and less boxes. I know Rajiv didn’t test this but would be interesting.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

The question I have is how using this straight from my laptop and then to my DAC would compare to the signature Optical Rendu system from Sonore. Certainly cheaper and less boxes. I know Rajiv didn’t test this but would be interesting.

Hi Joe,

You're comparing two completely different systems, whereas my goal in the review is to hold everything else constant and compare the component-under-test with its competition.

Also, keep in mind the oR is an endpoint/streamer, so you do need a music server elsewhere in the network. Back to more boxes. :)

I would NEVER buy an USB reclocker because it is dependent on the USB signal you feed with.

So it is much better to have an UHQ USB host controller in the first place.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I have an uptone audio ISO Regen with a CI audio LPS in my setup. Music server ( custom server with a Ryzen 7 processor ) connected to uptone's etherregen. My renderer is an Antipodes EX which is also connected to the etherregen. 

EX---> curious cable usb ---> ISO regen with LPS ---> Phasure Lush^2 ---> MSB analog Dac. 

Will the Phoenix USB reclocker over take the ISO regen in my setup?

2 hours ago, thyname said:

Of course! For every single product out there there is a China equivalent at half the price (or less) LOL!!

Well maybe half of the servers in the market are using casings made in china LoL!

USB signal reclock to an extremely precise USB signal & input into an unknown quality USB input in a DAC 😆. Wouldnt it make better sense to use an excellent quality usb card like those fr Jcat ( retailing euro 800) or the 1 from pink faun ?

Anyway, any product is relevant to someone & I m sure Innous Phoenix will be an excellent upgrade to some of us

Happy listening. Its all about music

34 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Guys, I can only do so much in one review. In my "real-life" profession, there is a phrase — don't boil the ocean! I chose to focus this review on 2 things:

• the USB - USB path
  • users who don't build their USB sources.

Products like the Gaia mentioned above, or the well-established MUTEC MC-3+ and Singxer SU-1, are digital-to-digital converters (DDCs) in that they actually convert from one digital input format to another. The whole decision of "which input type is best" is a deep, deep rabbit hole that is completely OT for this discussion. I focused on USB sources and USB inputs. That is what the PhoenixUSB is designed for.

As regards PCIe cards like the JCAT USB XE, or previous stalwarts like the SOtM tX-USBexp, these belong to a subset of sources that people custom-build for themselves. Standalone units, like the PhoenixUSB, the tX-USBultra, and the ISO-Regen, are applicable to all sources.

Understood. I do enjoy your meticulous review. Thanks

Happy listening. Its all about music

Nice review.  I'm curious as to what the clock in the sending device - in this case the Phoenix - is actually doing.  In your setup, the clock in the Chord Scaler should be acting in asynchronous mode to control the data stream.  Does this clock interact with the one in the sending device? 

I find this review interesting for the very reason that I have no intention of moving toward the kind of setup you have.  It helps me better understand the broader universe of setups and the progress that is being made in USB implementation, clocks, etc.  Thanks for laying it out in a way that a novice can easily understand.   And the mini-interview with the designer was really helpful and interesting.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, all300b said:

Nice review.  I'm curious as to what the clock in the sending device - in this case the Phoenix - is actually doing.  In your setup, the clock in the Chord Scaler should be acting in asynchronous mode to control the data stream.  Does this clock interact with the one in the sending device? 

I don't claim to know definitively the reason why a lower phase noise clock on the USB source has a positive effect on SQ. This has certainly been my experience, as has the quality of the power supply. The most plausible hypotheses I've read on this subject are the white paper put out by John Swenson, digital designer of Uptone Audio products. Please have a look.