Lillapepe

Mytek Brooklyn DAC Problems

Hi guys, I have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC that i disconnected for about a week and now I  plugged it back in and the blue M lits on then I turn it on pressing the knob or by using remote and it turns on and then back to standby or sleeping mode. I use a Sbooster MKII as a power supply but also tried it with the power cord that comes with unit.

also it’s getting kind of warm while on standby, months ago was cool to the touch.

also how can I get DSD256? I use JRiver and I get DSD64 and DSD128 but don’t get any DSD256.

any help will be much appreciated.

thank you in advance

On 5/13/2020 at 5:08 PM, Lillapepe said:

also how can I get DSD256? I use JRiver and I get DSD64 and DSD128 but don’t get any DSD256.

any help will be much appreciated.

Do you have any source files that are DSD256 or are you upsampling with JRiver MC? I assume the latter.  In JRiver, Output needs to be set to "4XDSD in native format" and JRiver must be told to use the ASIO driver.

Hi. My bad, I forgot to say that I had a Mac. I Learned last night hat no DSD256 for Mac users, only windows.

thank you for your reply.

6 minutes ago, Lillapepe said:

Hi. My bad, I forgot to say that I had a Mac. I Learned last night hat no DSD256 for Mac users, only windows.

Yup. The DAC needs a custom driver to do native DSD. Without the driver, the DAC can only do DSD in DoP mode up to DSD128.  Mac users need to petition Mytek to provide a custom driver! 

Yes, I can do DSD128, no problems, Mytek sent me a message that it was because of Mac that I couldn’t do DSD256

I have requested custom drivers, or firmware that would support DSD512 as the ESS chips support it, and then be able to play DSD256 DOP...Mytek's response was that they had no plans to do either as it these features were not of interest to the majority of their customers.  

Miska, of HQPlayer fame, once indicated that such drivers were not a heavy lift...so I'm a bit confused why they have not been provided.

Tone with Soul

22 hours ago, Lillapepe said:

I am now playing DSD256 as Native DSD perfectly with the DAC+, feeding it from an Aurender Music Server (it’s Linux based, very similar to the MacOS). 
Aurender needed to load a custom Linux patch / code / driver for it to work. 
I have also read that SoTM and Sonore and Roon Player also all have custom patch code for Linux based servers for Mytek DACs. 
Mytek themselves have not yet created a patch, but lots of other companies have. 
I suspect you could find one for JRiver too. 

Thank you very much for all the info, I’ll try and send a message to  JRiver as I don’t see Mytek with any plans soon.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:46 PM, agladstone said:

I am now playing DSD256 as Native DSD perfectly with the DAC+, feeding it from an Aurender Music Server (it’s Linux based, very similar to the MacOS). 
Aurender needed to load a custom Linux patch / code / driver for it to work. 
I have also read that SoTM and Sonore and Roon Player also all have custom patch code for Linux based servers for Mytek DACs. 
Mytek themselves have not yet created a patch, but lots of other companies have. 
I suspect you could find one for JRiver too. 

Actually we do not need a custom patch for this device on our operating system. Others may need a custom patch because they are using outdated / older Kernels.