IGNORED

Mahler Symphony 10 Completions

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Started last night on a fun listening project: the "unfinished" Mahler Symphony 10. Since the composer's death, there have been several "finished" versions that have gained various degrees of support. Obviously, the gold standard is the Deryck Cooke version, that was blessed by Alma Mahler herself. This is the version I know and love. My favorite performance is:

Mahler Symphony No. 10 in F-Sharp Minor (Completed D. Cooke, 1976) [Live].jpg

So, I thought I'd - over several nights - try out some of the other notable versions, by Joe Wheeler, Clinton Carpenter, Rudolf Barshai, Yoel Gamzou, and a chamber version by Michelle Castelletti. I'll be listening to the 3rd Purgatorio and 5th Finale movements.

First up:

image.png

Verdict: 👎

I disliked the orchestration in general, and the tempo in the last movement was almost frenetic, giving me no emotional connection to the music. Blah!

What is your opinion about Rattle's version with Bournemouth Orch.?

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks, I had identified the Zinman/Tonhalle release to listen to, but will certainly add Litton/Dallas to my playlist.

That's another Cooke performance, isn't it? I've not heard it. I've heard Rattle's version with the Berlin PO and liked it fine, it just didn't displace Dausgaard/Seattle.

Yeah, Rattle uses Cooke text. Rattle seems to be the conductor who has been performing completed version of Mahler 10th more often than any other conductor. His recording with the Bournemouth Orchestra was the first I've ever heard many years ago, and the impression is still very vivid.

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Ormandy was admired much more for building a fantastic orchestra in Philadelphia than for interesting interpretations.  I find his Mahler 10 brisk and unsentimental, and unsentimental Mahler is a non sequitur.  

FYI, Ormandy performs Cooke's original completion, but Cooke published a revision 10 years later, and the latter is what we now know as the Cooke version.

I fact, there are three Cooke versions, and yes, Ormandy with Philadelphia and Martinon with Chicago performed first variant in 1966. Recently, Goldschmidt earliest recorded performance was published on Testament.

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

[...]

Of course, I never expected this chamber version to supplant the Dausgaard, and it didn't. But if you want to hear a fresh take on this masterpiece, give this BIS version a listen!

Just listened to Dausgaard's recording. Excellent sound quality, and a very good version in general. Extremely listenable and thoroughly convincing. I'm going to re-listen Rattle's first recording later to compare. Thank you for the reference!