IGNORED

Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3/4

On 5/18/2020 at 2:12 PM, Nenon said:

In fact, I would go a step further and say that I would not buy a Sean Jacobs LPS without the Mundorf [caps] upgrade for myself. That's how important I think this upgrade is.

Sean's ultimate DC4 uses different caps. From his website...

"The new DC4 regulator design uses the very best components - we use a full set of Vishay Z-foil "naked" resistors for the regulator section, and extremely low noise resistors for the (non-critical) CX section and for one filter network of the regulator itself. We also now use Vishay bulk film capacitors for all decoupling duties, as well as some very special Audio Note KAISEI capacitors for all the important regulator module capacitors. These are a relatively new capacitor, designed by the same team behind the legendary Black Gate capacitors. The CX module uses the same Nichicon KZ "MUSE" capacitors as the DC3 design, as we found that the AN capacitors made no difference at all here."

The above implies that Sean thinks these new caps are better than the Mundorfs.

In my less sane moments, I've been considering getting a 3-rail DC4 to replace DAVE's built-in SMPS, as per Triode-User's review. If I do go down that route, I would try very hard to get Sean to up-front replace his Neotech copper wires with the Mundorf Silver/Golds - at least in all places after the regulator.

2 hours ago, Blackmorec said:

Objection!  As far as I understood in the full text, the DC4 uses the same Mundorf reservoir capacitors....twice as many as the DC3 in fact. The piece you quoted refers to the DC4’s regulator modules

Fair enough, but my point still stands. My understanding of the text is that Sean has chosen the very best possible caps, cost no object, for the DC4 regulators. This implies that he feels the caps in the regulator are the most important caps that are worth upgrading to the highest possible level - and these are not the Mundorfs.

I'm not trying to pick a fight between different makes of caps. I'm just trying to better understand what separates the DC4 from DC3 and why the DC4 is so much more expensive. Or maybe it's just a case of different cap designs being better suited to different jobs?