IGNORED

Sean Jacobs (Custom HiFi Cables) DC3/4

@magnuska I'll definitely report back once everything burns in. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your DC 3. I am thinking about going down that route eventually for the ancillary network components closest to the DAC. I was under the impression the DC 3 could only have a single output. It's always great when one component replaces two- you get to save on power cords.

@Blackmorec I've always enjoyed your writing - thanks for breaking down your journey and impressions of Sean's products. Thanks for making my wait more unbearable;-)

I myself have gone through a gamut of linear power supplies: LPS 1, LPS 1.2, JS-2, Sonore Signature Rendu LPS, and now Farad Super3s. Each step brought significant improvements and a realization that power is the most critical aspect of a networked digital chain. 

I must also add how responsive and accommodating Sean has been throughout my ordering/build process. 

5 hours ago, magnuska said:

Thank you! Yes you can have up to 2 rails on the standard DC-3 enclosure. He also builds custom builds in a wider case to accomodate even more rails. So will you power only one item with your DC-4? He can do up to 3 outputs on that too. If you are considering powering ancillary components as you say.😀 The modules are galvanically isolated from each other. And in my case powering the Etherregen with one 12 v rail, he also suggested adding a grounding terminal on the DC-3 for connecting a wire between them, very convienent and good service. 

I'll be powering 4 devices with my DC4. I don't know what misled me to think the DC3 could only be made to power one device. Yes, my DC4 case had to be modded by Sean to cater to the extra heat generated by the high current requirement for the CPU rail @10A. Sean recommended a bigger heatsink on one side of the case. 

Hi @dminches Here are the specs for my DC4.

ATX/Motherboard - 20V (5A) (overspecced as I believe 19V would be sufficient).

EPS/CPU - 12V (10A)

Jcat Femto Net card - 5V (5A) ( CX Filter will limit it to 2A, but removing jumpers will allow 5A)

Pink Faun USB card - 5V (5A) (CX Filter here as well).

These are all specific to the Asus ROG Crosshair 7 Hero + Ryzen 3700x combo.

I will quote and defer to Sean's description of what it is as he relayed it to me here:

"for low-current rails the module works best if the CX section is enabled. If the current draw is more than around 2A then it is best to disable the CX filter, as it has no benefit at higher currents. I know that the 20V and 12V rails need to be high-current rails, the USB and NIC cards probably draw less than 2A (I would estimate they draw less than 1A in fact)), so for these I could enable the CX filters. It can be changed later on if you need the full 5A though, it is just a small set of jumpers to move on the circuit board."

After looking through my correspondence with Sean in order to answer some PMs I received on here, I think I have to clarify one important thing. The DC4 is made with three outputs as the standard maximum limit. My build with four outputs was a one off, and it had its own set of difficulties that Sean had to address. 

I cannot assume that Sean will be willing to make another DC4 4 rail in one case again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I’m a bit late to this thread but I think I was the first person to have a DC4 powering a Chord Dave. The result is staggering and worth every penny. Rob Watts is being coy about a Dave 2 but really I don’t mind because the DC4 has taken my Dave into new territories.  I am lucky that I also have a DC4 powering my MScaler but really I think I would prefer a DC4 driven Dave to a stock Dave with MScaler. 

Oh, and that was my thread on Wigwam.

Your thread was one of the reasons I made the full commitment to go through with the DC4 purchase. Hope you're still enjoying it and not letting the doubters on there lessen your enjoyment.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:58 PM, Ricardo007 said:

Hello 4legs

Did you finally compared Farad super 3 to your other supplies? Interested by your feedback

regards

Richard

I went from LPS 1.0 to 1.2 and then Sonore Signature LPS, then to Farads which were better. I replaced 4 Farads with a DC3 and that was also an improvement. I have never compared anything else to a DC since my DC4 is custom configured to power my audio server, and that would be an impossible comparison to make.