IGNORED

Why do most audiophile prefer passive speakers?

15 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Well SET tube amplifiers and their speakers are a separate bread of animal. While audiophiles enjoy their special sound, they don't meet the definition of accurate hi-fi audio.

Uh-oh.  Tread carefully.  Most of audiophilia is about preference (which is indisputable) and not about accuracy. 🙃

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, 4est said:

As for myself, I am not convinced that the DSP applied to a lot of these speakers can overcome the small drivers that often accompany the actives.

Have you heard/used them? You would be convinced if you did.  It is not possible to do so on paper.

Kal Rubinson

9 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

There is also a lot of difference preference about accuracy in the pro audio world...

They are not immune.

8 hours ago, firedog said:

No one claims they will match the physical slam of the bass output of a 12 inch or 15 inch sub-woofer powered by a big amp.

Kii Three + BXT

Kal Rubinson

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lone Mountain Audio said:

I could go on but these are probably the big reasons active is better- regardless of brand or design philosophy.  The two leaders in active have been Genelec and ATC, both began doing it this way in the early 80s and have not stopped.  Unlike Genelec, ATC does make passive versions of the speakers available for those that insist and two levels of performance in active: standard (19A through150A  and fully discrete (SE50 and SE100).  The discrete does indeed sound better.

What is the difference between standard active and fully discrete active? 

Kal Rubinson

4 hours ago, Lone Mountain Audio said:

And in the case of the company I work with, ATC does NOT use DSP or Class D or any EQ inside for "room correction".  The problem with DSP room correction is you are changing the direct sound of the speaker based on reflected sound in the room. 

I did not say anything about room correction, iirc.

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, Lone Mountain Audio said:

The standard active uses some output devices in an Integrated Circuit.   A discrete design as separate output devices that can be matched and driven with more current.  I am not an electronic designer so I always think of it as discrete is the old fashioned way of doing it, and IC's is the newer way.   I'm not sure that's an ideal discription for you or what you wanted to know.

No, I understand that clearly as it is the distinction between discrete semiconductors and integrated circuits.  Also, your preference is also understandable.

No you didn't, sorry to infer that.  Earlier posts about active linked it heavily to DSP and Class D, which are unrelated to active, so I was responding in broader terms.  

There are many parameters possibly involved in modern speaker design including radiation pattern control with novel shapes and loading as well as electronics and DSP.  

Id love for you to A/B an active and passive side by side.  Its quite eye opening (or I should say ear opening).

Could be but I am not going to be the one to do it.  Too much else, too little time.  

Kal Rubinson

2 hours ago, Speedskater said:

It will come down to the skill level's of the design engineers involved. An 'active crossover' has a lot more parameters to mess up. It happens often with DIY 'active crossovers' they look at the specs for their speakers and put those numbers in, but what comes out is not the same as the original design.

I thought we are talking about commercial designs created by professionals and not DIY.  The latter are not predictable.

Kal Rubinson