IGNORED

"Parting is such sweet sorrow" and other oxymorons

Neil Young's "Differently" from the Album 'Are You Passionate' on a casual hearing sounds like an ordinary Love Song of Regret - but is interpretable as a rumination on his daughter Amber being on the cusp of leaving the nest ...

Live - what a line-up ...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

"Life Is But Nothing" - imo one of the very best Pop songs ever written - especially as performed by Del Shannon whose version I have known intimately since I was a teenager.

An Andrew Rose/David Skinner invention, "Life Is But Nothing" was released by Andrew Loog Oldham-managed (cf. Rolling Stones) duo Twice As Much on their 1966 IMMEDIATE Album 'Own Up':

P.P. Arnold released "Life Is But Nothing" also on IMMEDIATE 1967 IM 040, B Side to "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" and on her 1968 Album 'The First Lady Of Immediate':

Everyone knows Chris Farlowe's hit version of the Jagger/Richards 'Aftermath'/'Flowers'/'Metamorphosis' tune "Out Of Time" released in the UK on IMMEDIATE 035 June 1966 (feat. Jimmy Page as session guitarist and prod. by Mick Jagger). Its B Side is "Baby Make It Soon" - which I only discovered cleaning up a copy of the 7" Single recently. Awestruck with "Bay Make It Soon" - which to my ears has a vaguely Psych/Northern Soul flavour - a Farlowe CD I just bought features "Life Is But Nothing" - a 1967 B Side to "Yesterday's Papers" on IMMEDIATE 049 - and I am blown away.

The song at its most exquisite was recorded by Del Shannon during the LIBERTY sessions of 1967 - also supervised by Andrew Loog Oldham - not released until the 1978 Album '...And The Music Plays On':

Released again in 1968 by Twice As Much as first component of a Medley with "Happy Times" and "Do You Wanna Dance" on their second and last IMMEDIATE Album 'That's All':