IGNORED

Article: KANTO TUK vs. AIRPULSE A100

9 hours ago, mstulken said:

Thanks for attempting this comparison review. I was wondering for a while what the state of the art is for desk top speakers. I have an ifi micro i-dsd so I'm not too concerned about a built in dac. But wondering if there are other desktop alternatives that were not covered? 

There are ! You have plenty of options in almost every price range.
Imho. you can only get through that jungle of options by defining your personal needs.
You may have notice that I have used the iFi DAC as well, and if I'd use this DAC in a desktop system only, I'd personally look for some more pure active monitors like the Audio Energy AE1, or powered speakers from JBL, Klipsch, Ruark, Dali, Dynaudio, Wharfedale, Audio Engine, Yamaha, Kef   ... That's why I narrowed it down to the models under review. 😉

Thanks so much for the fun read.  I am in the position of desiring a nice sounding setup for near-field (2-3 feet) listening off a new mac-mini.

I need to really minimize the cabinet depth - hoping no more than 5-6".  I looked at the Kanto site and they have this YU2 that looked interesting.  I would be open to something really small + SW.  I was looking at KEF Egg.  Love my LS50's, but those LSX are too large. Audioengine?

I was really interested in those Martin Logans mentioned above by Sonis, but they would require amplification and I'm looking for simple here.

Depth is a bit frustrating as otherwise I'd be really interested in a few speakers, but these 8-10" depth speakers just wont work in my setup and I am guessing others reading might perhaps be in a similar scenario of really needing less cabinet depth (not really smaller size, but less depth) in a powered speaker like this

Thanks for any guidance and the interesting article and comments.

This is a rather interesting topic.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

image.gif.370657b5f341fbbc8a44734004eb852f.gif  

7 hours ago, blaven said:

Thanks so much for the fun read

@blaven Wow, I looked at your signature  ... stunning ...
I may have my doubts you'd be happy with what you'll find in the standard desktop class of speakers.

I have heard the ABACUS C3 (5'x6', only available in Europe), which match your space requirement but they would demand a DAC for their analogue only input. I liked them a lot. Going down to 35hz, you may pass on the sw.

Thus, finding some i.e. 6x6 inchactive speakers with all digital inputs and excellent sound seems to be quite a task. Audio-Engine would come to mind. Or Genelec, though they lack the connectivity.
If it's about minimal footprint AMT speakers, the ML's (2i/4i) are imho the best deal, perhaps in connection with a NAD D3045 digital amp?
Cheers, Tom

Abacus C3 Box  02.jpg

Abacus C3 Box  03.jpg

Abacus C3 Box  04.jpg

Abacus C3 Box  05.jpg

Abacus C3 Box  06.jpg

Abacus C3 Box  07.jpg

Thanks for this review and hoping you do more in this category.  Really.  I think active speakers is an under served portion of music listening; particularly for main home systems and not necessarily PC listening.

When I was looking at the Edifier S1000DB, that I ended up purchasing, I came across the Air Pulse but decided it was a bit rich for my use.  As the Edifiers have ended up in my garage, I would have loathed to put the APs out there in that environment (South Central Texas).  The number of connections on the Edifier more than justify the price and I have used them all.  The only complaint I have is gain matching...if the BT is used you better crank the volume down before using Toslink or your eardrums will shatter.  Now Edifier is really fleshing out the line and on the Edifier USA site are the Air Pulse options.  If my Linn system ever breaks down I am switching to this type of setup.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

On 5/13/2020 at 7:11 AM, DuckToller said:

@PeterG Thank you for commenting !
I feel sorry for you that the review makes you feel uncomfortable. However, I am unsure why this happened and what would be the requirements to journalism to make you feel comfortable?

I have to agree with PeterG.

While the article was a worthwhile review of the Pulse it would not have seemed so confusing if the title had not promised a comparison. It is not really a comparison without the other speakers in hand to audition. Simply changing the wording of the title would have solved this dilemma.

I hope that you will consider having a Part Two where you complete the proposed comparison with Kantos in hand for listening This will allow you to still continue "with the comparison until the end".

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

3 hours ago, mourip said:

I hope that you will consider having a Part Two where you complete the proposed comparison with Kantos in hand for listening This will allow you to still continue "with the comparison until the end".

Yes, agreed, I may owe you that ;-)

Thank you for showing interest for the test and confidence in me doing it.

I'll check out later with Kanto how are the odds to get some review units this year ... 😇

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...