IGNORED

External DAC into powered speakers

I recently tried routing music through both a USB thumb drive and laptop running Roon directly into an Oppo 105d to try out its capabilities. The Oppo is in turn connected to powered speakers via an optical connection (I can mention the brand if needed). Even though the powered speakers have their own internal DAC, music routed through the Oppo sounds decidedly better than music that streams directly from the powered speakers (using an app or airplay to completely bypass the connected Oppo). It's not a slight difference -- even my partner who is as non-audiophile as you can get noticed a clear difference in an A/B test. I'm wondering how is this possible, since you normally connect an external DAC via an analog connection. Is the external DAC able to influence the sound, even though it's getting processed again in the speaker DAC? As the source of the music, perhaps the Oppo is helping to reduce jitter? Any other explanations?

I see - it may be the case that the optical input is bypassing the internal DAC. The Oppo DAC chips are definitely better, I was just surprised that it was so apparent even when passed digitally. I guess it's one of those cases where if it sounds better, don't worry why lol. But I was curious anyway...