all300b

Topping D90 great but question future

@barrowsthanks for posting your Roon oversampling settings!  This is a great improvement in SQ and I am very appreciative.

On 5/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, barrows said:

You already have Roon, it does a good job oversampling to DSD 256.  

Yes, HQPlayer is better with the EC modulators, but Roon does quite well with the D-90 at DSD 256.

So if HQPlayer is even better than Roon for oversampling, I think I will go ahead and do a trial of HQPlayer.  Would you mind posting your HQPlayer settings with the same step by step instructions (like you did for Roon)?  TIA

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | Sablon cabling, PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Desktop: IsoRegen | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 | Elac S10 sub

13 minutes ago, Blake said:

@barrowsthanks for posting your Roon oversampling settings!  This is a great improvement in SQ and I am very appreciative.

So if HQPlayer is even better than Roon for oversampling, I think I will go ahead and do a trial of HQPlayer.  Would you mind posting your HQPlayer settings with the same step by step instructions (like you did for Roon)?  TIA

I do not normally run HQP (I do not have a powerful enough machine) so i do not remember my settings really...  I stuck mostly with defaults, with EC7 modulator and poly since ext2 filter, I think?  The filter is recommended by Jussi.  The EC modulators are only possible up to DSD 256, and one needs a very powerful computer to run the, I-9 9900K is basically recommended.  If you go into the HQP threads here there is plenty of discussion on settings!

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                        

SONORE computer audio

46 minutes ago, barrows said:

I do not normally run HQP (I do not have a powerful enough machine) so i do not remember my settings really...  I stuck mostly with defaults, with EC7 modulator and poly since ext2 filter, I think?  The filter is recommended by Jussi.  The EC modulators are only possible up to DSD 256, and one needs a very powerful computer to run the, I-9 9900K is basically recommended.  If you go into the HQP threads here there is plenty of discussion on settings!

Ok, thanks for the additional info.  My MacBook Pro (2011 i7 2.2Ghz) won't be up to the task then.  But your Roon settings sound great anyway so I am a happy camper!

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | Sablon cabling, PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Desktop: IsoRegen | Eitr | Chord Qutest  | Aesthetix Calypso pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Scansonic MK-5 | Elac S10 sub

10 minutes ago, Blake said:

Ok, thanks for the additional info.  My MacBook Pro (2011 i7 2.2Ghz) won't be up to the task then.  But your Roon settings sound great anyway so I am a happy camper!

Yeah, this is why I ma not using HQP, but do not listen to it if you do not want to get a new computer/server capable of running it!  I just do not have time/money right now to have a custom server built, but the EC modulator with dSD 256 sounded sooo good!

At some point i have to figure out  set up for it....

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                        

SONORE computer audio

The regular modulators like ASDM7 are not bad either... ;) And not particularly heavy, with -2s filters and regular modulators one can run DSD256 output even from some Intel Atom models.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

The regular modulators like ASDM7 are not bad either... ;) And not particularly heavy, with -2s filters and regular modulators one can run DSD256 output even from some Intel Atom models.

That sounds interesting - would be great if someone could translate that into Roon settings

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> AQ Vodka --> microRendu 1.4 / CI Audio LPS --> USPCB --> Schiit Eitr --> AQ Coffee --> Hegel HD25 --> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

40 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

That sounds interesting - would be great if someone could translate that into Roon settings

It cannot be, HQPlayer has it's own algorithms.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 5/24/2020 at 12:07 PM, Miska said:

Is there any guidance/explaine for modulators differences ?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just a question, what makes it great?

What I understood from Topping designer, some DACs uses passive LPF path for the preamp like SMSL M400. This Gustard has active LPF as per their advertisement.

1 minute ago, w1000i said:

What I understood from Topping designer, some DACs uses passive LPF path for the preamp like SMSL M400. This Gustard has active LPF as per their advertisement.

OK. Just wondering how you decided it was great. No worries. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

33 minutes ago, w1000i said:

What does this mean and how can you underpin this kind of statement?

Advertsiments are mostly marketing driven

Subjective comparing both dacs is first step and would be nice if this can be underpinned with objectieve measurements and blind tests.

Would be great is this manufacture outperforms the imo very good Topping 90 which  supports Direct native Dsd. Just curious and itwould-be a bargain.🌞

42 minutes ago, w1000i said:

Both the Topping and the Gustard have active output sections.  The Gustard you refer to does not equal the performance of the Topping by its measurements.  I have no comment as to whether this indicates either one will sound better than the other, which would be up to the individual listener to determine, but the Topping does measure better...

BTW, DACs do not have "preamps" on board.  Virtually all DACs (yes, there are some esoteric exceptions) have an active buffer stage at their output to drive the output, but calling such a "preamp" is confusing and not really meaningful.  Saying a DAC has a "preamp" onboard makes it seem like it has something extra, which is not present in other DACs.  

SONORE computer audio

15 hours ago, barrows said:

Both the Topping and the Gustard have active output sections.  The Gustard you refer to does not equal the performance of the Topping by its measurements.  I have no comment as to whether this indicates either one will sound better than the other, which would be up to the individual listener to determine, but the Topping does measure better...

BTW, DACs do not have "preamps" on board.  Virtually all DACs (yes, there are some esoteric exceptions) have an active buffer stage at their output to drive the output, but calling such a "preamp" is confusing and not really meaningful.  Saying a DAC has a "preamp" onboard makes it seem like it has something extra, which is not present in other DACs.  

They seem pretty similar. The Gustard output stage is different, it does has higher output, and is cheaper. Worth a listen.

17 hours ago, BobSherman said:

They seem pretty similar. The Gustard output stage is different, it does has higher output, and is cheaper. Worth a listen.

the gustard a18 states it also has linear power supply which i have heard makes quite a difference...does the topping have a linear power supply do you know?

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

the gustard a18 states it also has linear power supply which i have heard makes quite a difference...does the topping have a linear power supply do you know?

Yes it does.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

And, do not believe that switching power supplies cannot be excellent as well, although doing so does require fairly advanced engineerino.  For example, the EMM labs DV-2 DAC, reviewed here: 

, by Chris uses a SMPS, as does the the SOTA Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC.

SONORE computer audio

26 minutes ago, barrows said:

And, do not believe that switching power supplies cannot be excellent as well, although doing so does require fairly advanced engineerino.  For example, the EMM labs DV-2 DAC, reviewed here: 

, by Chris uses a SMPS, as does the the SOTA Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC.

It's all about implementation.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It's all about implementation.

Indeed!

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, BobSherman said:

Yes it does.

Can you point me to a link that states it has a linear power supply?  Even in their marketing I don't see it indicate that?

I am wondering if i should wait on the gustard A18 or just jump on the Topping D90...

2 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Can you point me to a link that states it has a linear power supply?  Even in their marketing I don't see it indicate that?

I am wondering if i should wait on the gustard A18 or just jump on the Topping D90...

I had a D-90 here for a few weeks, I opened the chassis and confirmed it has a linear power supply.  Being a rather compact DAC (tiny) the power supply is rather small and limited, but it certainly is a linear power supply.  There is a switch on the underside of the chassis for changing the input voltage from 115 VAC to 230 VAC.

SONORE computer audio