IGNORED

Topping D90 great but question future

I am enjoying my D90 for a couple of months now. I did swap the standard power cable that came with the device but that was more because I had a 'better' one lying around. However the comments about the fuse earlier in the thread interested me. Are we talking about the fuse in the supplied kettle lead or one internal to the device?

Anyway, it sounds great as is, and I am using it in DAC mode using HQ Player to unsample to DSD 256 so pleased others are using and enjoying similar settings.

Hi @Mike Rubin, I have a 9700 cpu too although it is overclocked to 5ghz. I also run the D90 upscaling to DSD256 using ASDM7EC but I have my PC (which runs HQ Player) water cooled (on off the shelf solution for my CPU, not GPU, a Corsair H115i). I usually run it at its quetiest e.g. least agressive settings (and 'balanced' in the software) and my PC (I can select three settings) stays pretty cool. I am just running a few songs as you did as a test, see results below (I will leave it run for a while to see if things change much)

Could you look at improving the cooling possibly?

image.png.a891795ffaf5f3bae936cc85bf205e63.png

• 4 months later...

I am looking at a second D90, to sit on my desk in addition to my main listening space. However, to sit on my desk I would probably have to switch the Pre-amp back on to use the volume control. I would need to connect to the DAC via USB (for Roon) and via optical (for PC use).

I run Roon with a USBridge Sig into the Topping and then out, via XLR, to some Adam F5 monitors. Whereas in my main set-up I use HQ Player, I will use Roon to upsample to DS256.

I can't seem to find another option that works. I need any setting to be fairly close, in terms of volume level, between the USB and optical connections as this is a family computer.

If I feed the DAC DSD 256 via Roon, but have the pre-amp enabled, will the DAC be in only DSD mode?

1 hour ago, bogi said:

From you description here as well as on ASR it I don't get why do you need a 2nd DAC, when your issue is to match volume level between 2 DAC inputs. I am assuming you are playing through those Adam monitors from both your main set-up (HQPlayer upsampling) and desk setup (Roon upsampling). What for advantage would bring you 2nd DAC? Second USB input? How do you want to connect 2 DACs to the same Adam monitors? Could you describe your main setup and your desk setup chain in the form like (my guessing):

Roon on computer A -> HQPlayer upsampling to DSD256 on computer B -> USBridge Sig as HQPlayer NAA -> Topping D90 connected by USB

If you would describe both your main and desk set-ups this way then maybe someone could write a reasonable answer

Thanks Bogi for your detailed response.

In answer to your question, I am talking about two different end points.

Desk - Roon Rock - USBridge Sig - Topping D90 (possible new DAC) - Adam F5s

Lounge - HQplayer - RPI4 - Topping D90 - Musical Fidelity M6si - Kef reference 1's.

I will have a read and try your other suggestions now.

Thanks @Bogi, I think I am getting there. I have adjusted the volume of the Adams' down, using the controls on the back of the speakers. I then switched over (in HQ Player) from one endpoint (desk) to the other (Lounge) and tested. I have gone back and forth tweaking but its now pretty close now in volume, originally the Adams were very loud and the Kefs quiet, but I have worked on equalising. I think I can safely purchase an additional D90 and run it in my lounge set-up, I can then control which endpoint to use via HQ Player desktop. It will require a bit more tweaking but its close. I am currenty at -12dbfs in HQ Player, which I think is ok.

8 minutes ago, bogi said:

I would consider -12 dB to be OK, if you don't go lower. Because of upsampling it is required to lower the volume at least 3dB (it raises dynamic range of the audio content so leaving volume at 0dB could lead to clipping). The only drawback of lowering digital volume by 12 dB is 12dB loss of DAC dynamic range. But your D90 provides dynamic range about 120 dB (maybe yet more), so you get say 108 dB. The maximum theoretical dynamic range achievable from CD media format 44.1k/16bit is 96 dB. You could benefit from such high dynamic ranges only in the case of very loud listening. Dynamic range of typical pop music recordings (the difference between the loudest and quietest volume of the recording) is typically compressed by mastering process to be under 20dB, often yet lower. So practically -12dB isn't a problem. -12dB can be also a benefit. DAC distortion is usually lower in the region of -10dB than at 0dB.

I'm quite curious what for device is that Lounge. What's the full model name?

Thanks you for your response. I think that was 'more or less' my understanding. Its an interesting area of the hobby and I am always keen to know and understand more.

9 minutes ago, bogi said:

I'm quite curious what for device is that Lounge. What's the full model name?

I moved the D90 from the lounge to the desk to see if I could get on with it there, and thanks to your help I think I can. For testing purposes, I have plugged the rpi4 into the Musical Fidelity M6si's onboard DAC (instead of the removed D90). So I have been going back and forth between the D90 DAC and the M6Ssi's DAC, equalising the sound.

I can now safely order another D90 as I already knows it works well in the lounge set-up plugged into the M6si.