IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

21 minutes ago, Blake said:

Iris is killer for the money and I am very happy with the performance.

Thanks for sharing.

Since you are very familiar with Sablon cables would you say that Iris with a Sablon 2020 USB as input can outperform Gaia with a standard USB cable as input?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Hey Matt, interesting question.  I just re-installed the Gaia in the speaker system and unfortunately the way things are physically configured in that system it takes some work to pull some heavy things in and out and swap (getting access to the back of my power regenerator).

Next time I am moving stuff around I will give it a try.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Iris is killer for the money and I am very happy with the performance.

The Gaia transforms the Qutest ...

I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles.  

@Blake First off, thanks for taking the time to compare the Iris to the Gaia. Your observations are very helpful.

If I were to put you on the spot, might you be able to give us any measure to just how effective the Iris is as compared to the Gaia.  On a 10 point scale or a percentage basis, to what extent does the Iris measure up in your opinion.

To what extent would Qutest+Iris combo be a game changer, particularly in a speaker based system.

The Iris sounds very tempting.  Thanks for doing the comparison.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

14 hours ago, Blake said:

In all cases, I found that inserting the DDC's in the chain is superior to USB direct (an admittedly small sample size of 3 DAC's). 

I have found the same with both models of Devialet amps (Expert, then Pro) I have owned, so a sample of 2 in my case, but the sonic benefits you describe very much match my own experiences.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Which would you get

a) Iris+Pontus

b) Gaia+Pontus

c) Venus II

Also, what would be a good streamer for this?

a) sonore ultrarendu

b) SOtm 200ultra neo

c) Lumin U1 mini

d) Others

or would you rather just use the desktop computer and get a Terminator (no budget for streamer/DDC if i get the Terminator)

On 12/1/2020 at 8:43 PM, roberto2 said:

I think that the Hermes uses a pair of OCXO clocks too, but not at the level of Gaia's.

Hi Roberto,

Believe Hermes uses femto clock instead which is not same level as much more expensive Gaia and the oxco clock used.

However, Gaia's oxco is not as same level of TP's oxco at least in implementation .. the latter is boxed and isolated.

If you have the TP, best is to clock synced any denafrips ddc to the TP's superior ocxo implementation which makes the clock topic redundant.

I had the Gaia and using the Hermes for last 2-3 months with my TP.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

On 11/7/2020 at 11:10 AM, seeteeyou said:

Hi Seeteeyou,

I got weak and bought the Acoustic Revive LAN-0.5/1.0-TripleC for my Antipodes cx+ex setup since % $ in proportion is still ok:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Acoustic-Revive-audio-grade-Cable/dp/B01CZBEU7K

While at it, I also bought a 0.5m length one for i2s connection from the Avatar to the TP.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

10 hours ago, jomsjoms said:

Which would you get

a) Iris+Pontus

b) Gaia+Pontus

c) Venus II

a) sonore ultrarendu

b) SOtm 200ultra neo

c) Lumin U1 mini

d) Others

or would you rather just use the desktop computer and get a Terminator (no budget for streamer/DDC if i get the Terminator)

I still like using a Windows laptop to my Terminator, which sounds great.  I set the laptop to always-on, which allows me to keep the lid closed, making it an attractive 3/4-inch tall streamer, then I run Remote Desktop from an Android tablet.  All works flawlessly, and I like being able to run JRiver, Qobuz, and Radio Paradise while consulting email or Googling websites for recommendations of thing to listen to on Qobuz.  I'll probably get a Hermes just to remove any doubts on PC USB.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:47 PM, jomsjoms said:

Which would you get

a) Iris+Pontus

b) Gaia+Pontus

c) Venus II

a) sonore ultrarendu

b) SOtm 200ultra neo

c) Lumin U1 mini

d) Others

How about:

d) Venus II + Hermes ?

10 hours ago, Chesty said:

How about:

d) Venus II + Hermes ?

How about this, which would you get in both Scenario 1 and 2:

Scenario 1

a) Pontus + Gaia ($4596)

b) Venus II + Iris   ($4696)

Scenario 2

a) Venus II + Gaia ($6296)

b) Terminator  ($5998)

*note all amounts are in Singapore $

Based on your options listed above, if it was me, I'd go Venus 2, combined with Iris or Hermes, so I could run I2S. 

I have owned the original Terminator, but never heard the Pontus.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

22 minutes ago, Blake said:

Based on your options listed above, if it was me, I'd go Venus 2, combined with Iris or Hermes, so I could run I2S. 

I have owned the original Terminator, but never heard the Pontus.

Thanks sir. So for scenario1, you would go for Venus2+iris. How about for Scenario 2? 

48 minutes ago, jomsjoms said:

Thanks sir. So for scenario1, you would go for Venus2+iris. How about for Scenario 2? 

I no longer have the original Terminator to directly compare to my Venus 2, and it has been 5 months since I had the Terminator so it is hard for me to give an answer, unfortunately.  I am super happy with the Venus 2 + Iris though. 

If I had to venture a guess using my old, stale memory from 5 months ago. I would probably go with the Venus 2 + Hermes/Gaia option, but take that for what it is worth.

Is there really a big difference using an iris into the mix as against venus II alone? I'm on the fence in using a DDC since i think the simpler the route the better but again, i can't argue if you actually can hear a discernable difference in sound quality. Sure wish i can borrow a DDC from someone to a/b test it but i doubt that as items are mostly unavailable here in the Philippines. (much more due to covid)

I'd focus on the DAC first and not worry about the DDC.  You can always experiment later if you get the itch to experiment.

EDIT:  I'd like to be clear, DDC's are not mandatory to the performance of any of the Denafrips DAC's.  I only responded like I did because it seemed you had either owned a DDC in the past or were very open to trying one. 

It appears that is not the case and I don't want to give you the impression you must get one. Absolutely not.  The vast majority of reviews you will read, the reviewer didn't have a DDC in the chain with any of the Denafrips DAC's.  I think it is best to get the DAC and live with it first.  Only experiment with DDC's later if you are curious and budget allows.  You might also consider jumping in with the cheaper Iris to see if you like it.  If not, I suspect you could sell it without too much loss... or wait for a used one to pop up.

5 hours ago, Koso said:

I have Venus II + Gaia right now. Venus II is not burned in yet (approaching first 100 hours so far) but I can tell it is great combination. Will post my review after 400 hours of burn in…

I had Gaia prior to Venus II connected to Simaudio Moon 380D DAC and it helped there, so naturally when Venus II arrived it was connected to Gaia ready for burning process. Just yesterday I tried to connect Venus II directly to streamer Aurender N100H via USB cable. Well yes, it really is a clear difference. I couldn't stand it for more than ten minutes and I had to put Gaia back on. So in my setup Gaia has great sonic impact regardless to what DAC is connected.

I don’t see Gaia as enhancement of your DAC, Gaia or any good DDC should be considered as enhancement of your digital source. The better the digital source is, the less effect of the DDC. If you already have some state-of-the-art digital source (Aurender W20SE, or something in that class), you probably don’t need any DDC.

I do agree with @Blake, DDC is not mandatory to any Denafrips DAC, go for as good DAC as you can afford first. But in many scenarios DDC could help to considerably elevate sonic quality of your system (especially digital source) without robbing the bank.

Would you consider the Lumin u1 mini and the Sonore OpticalRendu a state of the art streamer that won't benefit much from the Gaia? (These are the 2x streamers i am considering for the venus II)

54 minutes ago, jomsjoms said:

Would you consider the Lumin u1 mini and the Sonore OpticalRendu a state of the art streamer that won't benefit much from the Gaia? (These are the 2x streamers i am considering for the venus II)

I would prefer Lumin. Great streamer for the money. And these (Lumin or Sonore) are definitely in the category which will benefit from DDC!

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

On 12/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, Blake said:

I'd focus on the DAC first and not worry about the DDC.  You can always experiment later if you get the itch to experiment.

EDIT:  I'd like to be clear, DDC's are not mandatory to the performance of any of the Denafrips DAC's.  I only responded like I did because it seemed you had either owned a DDC in the past or were very open to trying one. 

It appears that is not the case and I don't want to give you the impression you must get one. Absolutely not.  The vast majority of reviews you will read, the reviewer didn't have a DDC in the chain with any of the Denafrips DAC's.  I think it is best to get the DAC and live with it first.  Only experiment with DDC's later if you are curious and budget allows.  You might also consider jumping in with the cheaper Iris to see if you like it.  If not, I suspect you could sell it without too much loss... or wait for a used one to pop up.

Blake, sounds like lots of us are super-fascinated by your experience of various DAC/DDC combinations.  I certainly am, so thank you for your time and energy (and investment...). One last question from my side....assuming I add a DDC (Iris or Hermes) to my humble Qutest, how d'ya think that would stack up versus your impressive-sounding Venus 11, by itself?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

@OldBigEars This is an interesting question.  I am planning to keep my Qutest for use at my actual office, and use Venus 2 in my home office.  I still really enjoy the Qutest.

Swapping in the Qutest in my headphone setup isn't too hard so I will do some comparisons and let you know my subjective thoughts.  It might be a little bit as I am totally slammed at work.  I need to earn some money to pay for these audio toys.

On an unrelated note, I just received an email from Vinshine.  They just announced they now have 2 USA-based service centers if you ever need to send in your Denafrips product.

4b933e_0c09a2e8dc6541cd93ce2aa6f9be7d12~mv2.png

Service Centers @ UNITED STATES 

Hello friends,

We are pleased to announce that we have appointed Sean Nauman and Macon P. as our service representatives in the United States. Please welcome them on board! 

For more information, kindly visit our new SUPPORT page for more details.

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/support

Many thanks.

Yours sincerely,

Alvin Chee

a306cb_3d2c01641d3e44db820b987d9be43503~mv2.png

image.jpg

a306cb_3d2c01641d3e44db820b987d9be43503~mv2.png

Subscribe for Updates