Blake

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

Hi All,

First of all, daisy chain of Avatar and gaia input to oxco clock output of T+ works !! This is really a denafrips ecosystem of digital playback though not advertised as such by denafrips 😃

Secondly, key objective of getting aes-ebu output of my Bel Canto fm-1 tuner to gaia to convert to i2s and synced to oxco clock of T+ sounds so much better ..  more detailed and clean with blacker background like veil had been lifted as compared to direct aes-ebu output directly to T+. Asked my dotter as I switch between the 2 and she remarked "you need to ask ? So obvious !" 🤣

Thirdly, on this main query if usb input directly to T+ or via gaia to convert to i2s that is synced to the oxco clock of T+, there is no miracle for the usb of my Antipodes ex and sounded less detailed and less engaging.

Speculative but the usb output from my Antipodes is no slouch and does not benefit from going via gaia but a lesser usb source may.

Similarly, the aes-ebu of my Bel Canto tuner benefitted very much via the gaia after conversion to i2s and synced to the ocxo clock of T+ but perhaps a higher quality aes-ebu or other digital source of say esoteric k series transport may not ... Avatar that I tested for sure benefits when synced to T+ .. more solid imaging and prat.

Hope this helps and YMMV since system dependent especially on quality of digital sources planned for gaia, personal preference and past experience ... I am still enjoying my Bel Canto fm 1 (this betters previous Accuphase T1000) for the last 2 hrs and it is unbelievable that fm radio can sound this good 😍😍

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Black gaia with customised blue leds ordered as with a 0.75m Argentus hdmi cable 🥰🥰

20200802_205112.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3A (Blackgate), Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Allo USB Bridge Signature, NuPrime Omnia S1, Antipodes EX/P1/P2, Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, ifi Blue Zen, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic GM mk2/diy PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Speculative but the usb output from my Antipodes is no slouch and does not benefit from going via gaia but a lesser usb source may.

Hi All,

For completeness of the abovementioned, I connected my allo's usb bridge to the gaia and behold the needed validation ... the sound quality improved to more detailed, dense and musical presentation ! 😃

Believe this final update sums up the outcome of my planned venture with gaia with synced clock to T+ and i2s and should help bros here to consider the digital source quality if gaia will improve the sound quality of your system if you have the T+.

Cheers.

Richard

20200803_002723.jpg

20200803_002905.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3A (Blackgate), Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Allo USB Bridge Signature, NuPrime Omnia S1, Antipodes EX/P1/P2, Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, ifi Blue Zen, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic GM mk2/diy PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Screenshot_20200722-051025_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, richard_crl032 said:

Believe this final update sums up the outcome of my planned venture with gaia with synced clock to T+ and i2s and should help bros here to consider the digital source quality if gaia will improve the sound quality of your system if you have the T+.

My understanding is you’re override the Gaia clock with the TP+ one.

I suppose removing the clock will change the result ?

Or maybe i2s requires the DAC clock. 

Conclusion is based on AES/EBU from FM radio and usb in from the Allo Usb bridge.

USB from server wasn’t any benefit. (Maybe cause USB is already very good). 

Also if you’re overriding the clock, one should think Iris would do the job almost as good 😀

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

My understanding is you’re override the Gaia clock with the TP+ one.

I suppose removing the clock will change the result ?

Conclusion is based on AES/EBU from FM radio and usb in from the Allo Usb bridge.

Also if you’re overriding the clock, one should think Iris would do the job almost as good 😀

Hi R1200CL,

Clarification as below that I hope helps and accurate .. almost 3 am now and had been a long but fruitful day.

Cheers.

Richard

My understanding is you’re override the Gaia clock with the TP+ one.

Richard: Affirmative .. to me, T+ one is superior being sealed and expected other SQ related treatments e.g. psu etc. and hence doing so.

I suppose removing the clock will change the result ?

Richard: Did not test out and expectedly so since you lose superior ocxo clock of T+ and you lose single synced clock but 2 separate clocks.

Richard: Negative, clock sync of gaia can be disabled.

Richard: Affirmative on both .. that is my motivation in getting the gaia for synced clock and i2s connectivity for primarily the fm radio while the usb input from the Allo usb bridge signature is a bonus.

Richard: Affirmative

Also if you’re overriding the clock, one should think Iris would do the job almost as good 😀

Richard:  Affirmative, almost as good indeed for at least usb from allo's usb bridge signature since Iris is with only usb input but does not serve my purpose for fm radio via aes-ebu. Also believe other SQ related treatments matter albeit not verified since not aware of the details of these treatments and no Iris to test out. Lastly, spending another sgd700 for the Iris and say sgd1k for added good power cable, hdmi cable, 2x bnc clock cables in additional to what you already spent on usb based server e.g. sgd500 allo's usb bridge signature amounts to sgd2.2k which may not make sense and better to get a better usb server with already presumably sgd8k+ T+ already bought to have this reclocking in the first place ?

Screenshot_20200803-025736_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200803-025806_Chrome.jpg

Hi,

Just listened to the allo's usb bridge signature via the gaia and T+ and compared the Antipodes directly via the T+  with various same tracks on both. 

Without the gaia for both allo's and Antipodes to the T+ that I am very familiar with, it was like subjectively 60-70% for the allo's if Antipodes is at 90% ....

With the gaia for allo's, it gets to 75-80% of the Antipodes which is quite impressive and nice as a backup server since I have the gaia but it also tells me just how nice the Antipodes is .. crisp, clear and extended in comparison.

Again ymmv and this helps further ... 4am and really to shower and sleep but no worry of listener fatigue to have messed up the subjective comparison.

Cheers.

Richard