IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

17 hours ago, Blake said:

My personal, entirely subjective impressions using the Gaia with the Chord Qutest:

The Gaia transforms the Qutest.  I had to keep checking myself since the Gaia arrived to make sure I was hearing the magnitude of change I believed I was hearing.  Yep, it is real.  I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles.  

If I had been listening to the Qutest just by itself for a long time, and then I was blind-folded and someone connected the Gaia to the Qutest, but told me they had inserted a Dave*, I would believe them and immediately start figuring out how long it would take me to save up for the Dave because hearing the improvements, it would be difficult to go without.  Again, though, that is just me.

*I have not heard the Dave in my system and thus I am not saying a Qutest+Gaia would equal a Dave.  I am just trying to express the magnitude of the change.  After my years of buying and trying different DAC's in my system, I view the Gaia improvements to comfortably exceed one, and possibly equal even two DAC model jumps within a manufacturer's DAC line. 

Another data point:  I loved my Berkelely Alpha USB D/D converter and it improved every DAC to which it was connected (most recently a Yggy Analog 2).  The sonic improvements brought by Gaia exceed the sonic improvements from the Berkeley by a rather large margin.

I'd love to put a Gaia up against a PhoenixUSB or Chord M Scaler just to see how it compares (yes, I appreciate these are differing devices and it would be a somewhat flawed comparison due to the different connection types).  If you simply view all of these devices as "sonic improvement" devices at differing price points, which at the end of the day is what they are (thinking of the Gaia as merely a tool to convert to a different digital type is really missing the big point of the Gaia), the Gaia might prove to be a cheaper alternative for a given amount of sonic improvement.

What are the primary sonic improvements?  Dramatic (on an audiophile rating scale- i.e. not to my wife's rating scale) improvements to holography/sound staging and transparency (hearing even more musical information, details, the impression of the recording venue, etc).  The sound stage is huge and there is so much air between the performers.  I really value those aspects.  If those sonic attributes are not what floats your boat, then move along, nothing to see here.

Finally, as a Terminator Plus owner, the ability to take advantage of the TPlus' clock output to the upstream Gaia, is more icing on the Gaia cake.

Hi Blake,

Nice review !

Can you also review the difference between same sources connected via the gaia synced to the Terminator Plus against direct connection to the Terminator plus on the same connection type of say usb and aes ?

Believe this will be useful for owners of Terminator Plus to consider getting the gaia.

Sorry if I had missed such a comparison.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Blake, great thread, thanks.

So for those of you who have used the Gaia (esp with non-Denafrips dacs) are you saying that sending it's I2S output to, say, the Holo dacs is not worth it due to the misuse of clocking with I2S?  I'm more than a little confused...thx.

On 7/6/2020 at 1:55 AM, Ben-M said:

For that, there is the one and only Titans Audio Helen. The only D/D that does I2s in->I2s out, that anybody knows of.

So the whole flow there would be:

1. Terminator Plus Master Clocks->Gaia. 

2. USB source->Gaia.

3. Gaia USB->Gaia I2s.

4. Gaia I2s out->Helen I2s in.

5. Helen I2s in->Helen I2s out.

6. Helen I2s out->Terminator Plus I2s in.

Music.

That chain gives me a bit of a laugh, mostly because I've never heard of a DAC sending Master Clock outputs to an upstream device... Maybe I'm behind the times in the External Mster Clocking field...

Hi,

Indeed a laugh .. the Helen will no longer be clock synced to the Terminator Plus.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

On 7/26/2020 at 10:56 AM, ted_b said:

Blake, great thread, thanks.

So for those of you who have used the Gaia (esp with non-Denafrips dacs) are you saying that sending it's I2S output to, say, the Holo dacs is not worth it due to the misuse of clocking with I2S?  I'm more than a little confused...thx.

Hi Ted, I am not sure I am following your question here.  Perhaps I missed a comment in this thread or somewhere else.  Could you provide some further detail?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

On 5/10/2020 at 11:08 PM, Blake said:

Alvin is using the Gaia with his Denafrips Terminator and he reports a big improvement with the Gaia in the chain.      

Hi Blake

It’s a bit confusing this double up DDC chain. 
However I was thinking there may be some analogies to Ethernet switches. As dual etherRegen is said to be better than one. 

To bad neither the Berkeley Alpha or SU-1 has other digital in like an AES/EBU. Or the Gaia USB out. Then one could test the hypothesis. 

(I don’t expect much improvement adding your Berkeley upfront the Gaia).

Maybe dual Iris will outperform one Gaia 😀

On the other hand, if this Gaia is this good, one should expect an improvement in front of almost any DAC.

Did you discuss with Alvin the differences between Iris vs Gaia if one only was after “normal’ USB to SPDIF converter (or AES/EBU). To me specs seems equal. So maybe an Iris will do ?

Do you know anything about Hermes ?

I must say it’s attempting to replace my SU-1. I still hope one day I can trow all usb out, and only use Ethernet as digital interface, or a DDC that has Ethernet in and AES/EBU out, so I still can use my old DAC. 

On 7/26/2020 at 6:40 AM, Blake said:

My personal, entirely subjective impressions using the Gaia with the Chord Qutest:

The Gaia transforms the Qutest.  I had to keep checking myself since the Gaia arrived to make sure I was hearing the magnitude of change I believed I was hearing.  Yep, it is real.  I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles.  

If I had been listening to the Qutest just by itself for a long time, and then I was blind-folded and someone connected the Gaia to the Qutest, but told me they had inserted a Dave*, I would believe them and immediately start figuring out how long it would take me to save up for the Dave because hearing the improvements, it would be difficult to go without.  Again, though, that is just me.

*I have not heard the Dave in my system and thus I am not saying a Qutest+Gaia would equal a Dave.  I am just trying to express the magnitude of the change.  After my years of buying and trying different DAC's in my system, I view the Gaia improvements to comfortably exceed one, and possibly equal even two DAC model jumps within a manufacturer's DAC line. 

Another data point:  I loved my Berkelely Alpha USB D/D converter and it improved every DAC to which it was connected (most recently a Yggy Analog 2).  The sonic improvements brought by Gaia exceed the sonic improvements from the Berkeley by a rather large margin.

I'd love to put a Gaia up against a PhoenixUSB or Chord M Scaler just to see how it compares (yes, I appreciate these are differing devices and it would be a somewhat flawed comparison due to the different connection types).  If you simply view all of these devices as "sonic improvement" devices at differing price points, which at the end of the day is what they are (thinking of the Gaia as merely a tool to convert to a different digital type is really missing the big point of the Gaia), the Gaia might prove to be a cheaper alternative for a given amount of sonic improvement.

What are the primary sonic improvements?  Dramatic (on an audiophile rating scale- i.e. not to my wife's rating scale) improvements to holography/sound staging and transparency (hearing even more musical information, details, the impression of the recording venue, etc).  The sound stage is huge and there is so much air between the performers.  I really value those aspects.  If those sonic attributes are not what floats your boat, then move along, nothing to see here.

Finally, as a Terminator Plus owner, the ability to take advantage of the TPlus' clock output to the upstream Gaia, is more icing on the Gaia cake.

Hi Blake,

Any chance to share on my query in post #77 ?

My plan to test out the effect of the gaia is to connect coaxial rca of my bel canto fm tuner directly to the T+ and have its digital aes/ebu to the gaia and i2s to the TP+. In this way, several simple switch over while playing will leave least doubt on AB.

With typically preferred aes-ebu, synced clocked and even more highly regarded i2s, I really hope for some improvement with gaia else adding gaia is redundant for me since T+ already have all and more inputs and save space as well as $ o  the gaia, digital cable and powercord.

On the usb, I am not too sure as any conversion in gaia is expected to be of lower quality than in the flagship T+ with expected higher quality treatment and consideration .. 

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I should have responded earlier but my work schedule has been off the charts.  I will indeed do a comparison that bypasses the Gaia-  so....  UltraRendu > usb > TPlus.  Unfortunately I don't have any other source to try AES/EBU, or other input options.  

I am intentionally holding off on comments to the TPlus and associated comparisons (TPlus alone, TPlus with Gaia but no clock sync, TPlus with Gaia with clock sync, and TPlus+Gaia I2S via LVDS vs LVCMOS) until the TPlus is fully burned in, along with the attached cables. 

It will be at least two or three more weeks before I will be comfortable that things have settled in.  And then I have to find the time to do all the A/B stuff.  When I am done I will be posting my thoughts in your TPlus thread.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Hi Blake

It’s a bit confusing this double up DDC chain. 
However I was thinking there may be some analogies to Ethernet switches. As dual etherRegen is said to be better than one. 

To bad neither the Berkeley Alpha or SU-1 has other digital in like an AES/EBU. Or the Gaia USB out. Then one could test the hypothesis. 

(I don’t expect much improvement adding your Berkeley upfront the Gaia).

Maybe dual Iris will outperform one Gaia 😀

On the other hand, if this Gaia is this good, one should expect an improvement in front of almost any DAC.

Did you discuss with Alvin the differences between Iris vs Gaia if one only was after “normal’ USB to SPDIF converter (or AES/EBU). To me specs seems equal. So maybe an Iris will do ?

Do you know anything about Hermes ?

I must say it’s attempting to replace my SU-1. I still hope one day I can trow all usb out, and only use Ethernet as digital interface, or a DDC that has Ethernet in and AES/EBU out, so I still can use my old DAC. 

Hi @R1200CL

Your "double etherRegen" analogy might be accurate. Srajan on 6Moons was posting similar "doubling up" comments in some recent D/D converter reviews and previews. And @austinpop's outstanding eR review showed that doubling up yields additional sonic benefits.

@Abyss Man might be able to chime in on your Iris question, as he has had both the Gaia and Iris in his system, and I think he might have also owned a modified SU-1. 

I don't know of any Hermes details as I don't believe any prototypes or production units are out to the public.  However, I am almost positive I spotted one in Alvin's system 😁

Based upon my experience with the Chord Qutest, my response is definitely yes, Gaia will improve non-Denafrips models as well.  The Gaia took the excellent tone/timbre qualities of the Qutest and injected steroid levels of 3D holography, clarity and detail.  If I would have had a Qutest (with LPS)+Gaia combo 6 months ago, I would have ended my DAC explorations and lived very happily with that combo for the foreseeable future.

That is obviously an incredibly small sample size though.

41 minutes ago, Abyss Man said:

7. Currently awaiting for my Gaia to arrive, after which I will get some decent power cords from Tellurium and a HDMI cable probably from Argentus, unless something better gets reported or recommended. Please also take a step back and look at the cables which are in your sytem. They make a huge difference as well.

0.5m CAT8 Ethernet cable (Full Metal Case option for $33.45) could be a good choice as well

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000575872860.html

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/old-king-of-r2r-dac-is-dead-denafrips-terminator-plus-terminator-arrives.936310/page-6#post-15767608

Here comes the twist ... i2s B RJ45 with this 0.5m TZ cable (metal shield version) sounded just as good as the 0.5m Argentus in i2s A hdmi !

7 minutes ago, seeteeyou said:

Hi seeteeyou 

Yes indeed, this is the one that I am using in my sharing and had posted the cable specification of published ofc copper albiet no further details and if believable.

Cheers.

Richard

On 7/30/2020 at 6:44 AM, Blake said:

Hi Ted, I am not sure I am following your question here.  Perhaps I missed a comment in this thread or somewhere else.  Could you provide some further detail?

Miska (aka Jussi), among others, talks about how, in HDMi-based I2S implementations, the clock is on the wrong side; it should be using the DAC's clock.  So......with this supposed flaw I was wondering if the Gaia's I2S still outperformed it's USB (or other) connection when used with an I2S-capable DAC like the Holo.  I, personally, liked the Su-1 and its I2S connection to my Holo better than going directly to USB, but that was my own perception, and was previous to Holo using new USB boards on its DACs.  I'm wondering if the Gaia would be an upgrade in my system, using I2S.

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

TZ ofc cable spec

Screenshot_20200801-133335_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hope this helps and do forgive me if I don't make sense cause

Thanks Abyss

You only used Iris with I2S out ? Did you have it for a long time ?

So Alvin accepts returns ?

Edit. I’ve just noticed you’re in same town as Alvin 😀

I didn’t follow your whole story if it was in sequence, cause you had Gaia, and then Iris.

But I think you’re saying Iris is much better than SU-1 and Gustard U16.

I think the only difference between Iris and Gaia, is the clock. Gaia is using XCXO.

1 hour ago, richard_crl032 said:

Go ahead, the TZ RJ45 Cat 8 OFC cable is only usd30+ with free shipping ... meanwhile, I have the recommended unshielded Cat 6 meicord RJ45 on the switch to my Samsung Qled in desperate attempt to burn in to hopefully and magically improve over the TZ cables .. lol !

Thanks Richard. Using wife and dotter is a good way of keeping grounded :) 

cheers!!!

1 hour ago, SYM said:

Thanks Richard. Using wife and dotter is a good way of keeping grounded :) 

cheers!!!

Hi Sym,

Indeed and it help with WAF and now DAF especially cos my system is in my living hall 😅

One further note is that my dotter pick up the input/cable 5 out of 5 times over various music and my wife pick up 4/5 in this "blind test".

AB testing on NAS, switch, Antipodes etc. will not be so easy or reliable with flip of the input switch and no motivation to pull my hairs over cheaply TZ cat 8 ofc RJ45 and hence nothing to share 🙏

Cheers.

Richard

6 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Hi,

The Gaia i2S output is restricted to 1x RJ45 that runs on LVCMOS and the HDMI output that runs on LVDS. Personally I have not tried comparing both of these formats. Maybe I should. I do have a spare Supra Cat 8 lying arnd somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. But TBH, the LVDS is a better connection/preferred connection cause it’s got higher immunity to noise. But no harm trying since it’s just a simple plug in/out. Cheers.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

I think the only difference between Iris and Gaia, is the clock. Gaia is using XCXO.

Hi R1200CL,

When Blake or I, if I can beat him to it with pending demo gaia, uses the T+, it will be synced to a better sealed ocxo clock with expected better psu, isolation etc treatment which is also your mentioned best clock near dac that I also believes in as well as synced components which is what I am getting from Avatar and covets.

Cheers.

Richard

2 minutes ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi,

The Gaia i2S output is restricted to 1x RJ45 that runs on LVCMOS and the HDMI output that runs on LVDS. Personally I have not tried comparing both of these formats. Maybe I should. I do have a spare Supra Cat 8 lying arnd somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. But TBH, the LVDS is a better connection/preferred connection cause it’s got higher immunity to noise. But no harm trying since it’s just a simple plug in/out. Cheers.

Hi Abyss,

Indeed the case of only hdmi i2s of the gaia being preferred lvds without saying I had tested and heard any difference in MY system since still pending demo gaia.

My hope it that I can daisy chain the Avatar and the gaia with gaia via hdmi i2s B and the avatar via the RJ45 i2sB which is lvds.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200801-190602_Chrome.jpg