IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

13 hours ago, barrows said:

There are actually plenty of DACs which will not benefit from a converter like this, unless one prefers the sound of higher jitter.  Just use a good USB source direct into the DAC's USB input, and just do not purchase a DAC which does not have a well implemented USB input, there really is no excuse these days for a DAC to have a poor USB input, the details of getting it "right" are now pretty well understood by most sharp digital engineers.

Now, if one has a "legacy" DAC which they love, the might benefit form  converter like this.

I was under the impression that what was well understood was that USB was not suited for digital audio :)

2 hours ago, barrows said:

I am not in favor of add on gadgets personally.  i prefer a good, designed for high end audio, USB source.  One can hardly expect a consumer grade commercial computer designed for general computer purposes (master of none) to be a good high end  audio source.  One is better off with something designed for the task at hand (delivering perfect USB audio signal integrity, with ultra low noise), not something designed for general computing purposes.

Are you saying that the Digital till Digital Converter from Denafrips is a computer designed for general computer purposes?

@Blake, Far from everything is figured out by anyone, and certainly not me.  But just because everything is not figured out, does not mean we should dismiss the things which are figured out.  
Please do not put words in my mouth though... it appears to me that you are reading an awful lot between the lines of what I have said: "Berkeley must be incompetent engineers", umm, not sure how/where you could infer this from my words, for example?

On the "Perfect USB DAC" question, I never said anything about any "Perfect DAC" of any type?  BTW, for the sake of discussion, does it really make sense that a really good USB interface could made in a separate chassis, but such could not be achieved inside the DAC itself?

On the uDigital, it gets a "free pass" to where exactly?  I do not actually have anything to do with the uDigital product, but the way I look at it, Sonore offers this product because the Rendu Series Renderers have only USB output, and some customers have SPDIF only input DACs, or they might just want to use SPDIF, or I2S for that matter, I do not see anything wrong with offering options for customers?

And, please keep in mind that my post was direct response to a question from 57Gold which i feel was a very legitimate question.  No one is under any obligation to agree with me if they choose not to.

@Summit, simply, no, sorry for any misunderstanding.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@Blake, As this is your thread, I will decline further comment.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

32 minutes ago, Blake said:

@barrows, you are free to continue posting here as you like. 

I know you say you were just responding to a question, but really, it sure seemed like you were here to answer that question while also taking a shot at Denafrips and possibly Berkeley (I will give you the benefit of the doubt on Berkeley), as well as taking a shot at folks like me, who have experienced performance increases with many different D/D converters (your 'jitter' comment).  You did a similar thing in the preamp thread.

I don't mind at all when an industry person promotes their own ideas in any thread.  What does get under my skin though is when that industry person takes pot shots at other manufacturers, or direct or clearly implied digs at consumers.  It is just a really bad look.  Like it or not, you, as an industry rep have to be held to a slightly higher standard IMHO.

In some respects, you have an advantage here over most that participate on this forum due to your audio career.  However, our ears are the great equalizer.  If I consistently hear improvements with (most) quality D/D converters, which is backed up by tons of reports online from other users of various brands of D/D converters, well, then I'd say that despite your technical expertise, your blanket statements on the D/D topic should be called into question and at the very least= your opinion is not audio fact.  I have zero problems with differing opinions, I do have a problem with opinion stated as fact, particularly if that person works in the industry.

@barrows does have some pretty strongly held opinions on this subject but I don't think there is any intent to demean or bully anyone. I do agree that as a representative of a manufacturer he should tone it down a bit.

I am intrigued by the fact that is has external clock inputs for 45.1548MHz and 49.152MHz, rather than the more common 10MHz as used by Mutec, SOtM, Teak, and others.

I presume this is for use with some kind of yet to be announced product?  Pure speculation on my part.

Is there a technical reason for the choice of 45.1548MHz and 49.152MHz?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Is 45.1548Mhz and 49.152Mhz "purer" in terms of audio timing? Maybe someone more tech savy can enlighten us. 

But the OCXO clocks are already doing such a wonderful job I don't think we will require external clock inputs, but of course we will never know till we hear it in action with external clock input.

I've been trying to find out what OCXO clocks are being used. Just curious. Anyone?

Looking at the manual for the Mutec MC3+USB, it states; "Scalable to FS1x512 clock rates, 22.5792 MHz & 24.576 MHz, for e.g. high-end audio interfaces" 

I note that these rates are exactly half that for the for the Denafrips.  

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Has anyone tried the Gaia with any other brand DACs than DENAFRIPS? Curious to know if it benefits other DACs to the same degree or if it's ideally suited to their own DACs. Any such experience you can share in this regard would be helpful and much appreciated. It certainly seems to offer a great value if it can be favorably compared to competitive products like the Innuos Phoenix (even though that's exclusively USB.) TIA

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

A few things come to mind. 

1. What does price have to do with your determination that a DAC is broken if the manufacturer offers something better that improves performance? In other words, what if the DAC was $2,300 and a $2,000 D to D converter came out that improved its performance? The cost would be equal to the Terminator’s $4,300. 

2. Your comments give me a vibe that you think others who enjoy different parts of this hobby are somehow less than those who place music above everything. Perhaps you don’t mean it this way, but the story about the guy in your office confuses me. I’m not sure why it’s important. I’m also unsure why it’s important to know he spent “huge $$ on his system.”

3. Suggesting BS has taken over the site is a bit over the top. 

You are right, the wording was a little strong, but I do think we sometimes forget the objective (musical enjoyment) and focus obsessively on the gear. Went down that path myself for some time - some personalities may be pre-disposed to this pitfall 😁. CA/AS in itself has nothing to do with this!

Yes, a little strong perhaps on the word or abbreviation choice, perhaps. Apologies to those whom I may have offended.

The guy in the office thing is an observation related to the irony of investing in great music reproduction tools and not actually being a music enthusiast.  Music reproduction gear without the music brings....pride of ownership?  Seems odd, but different strokes.

Have a second hobby, playing guitar, and see the same equipment fixation with folks obsessing over vintage guitars/amps, NOS tubes, scores of effects pedals, boutique builders of the above...and then many demo their stuff with a video and they can't play nor know how to use the tools they acquired because what little they can play sounds off.  Seems unbalanced or misguided; perhaps the obsessive energy ought to be spent on learning how to play? Yes, but different strokes.

Tone with Soul