IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

On 12/14/2020 at 5:19 AM, roberto2 said:

Old topic and unimportant in my setup with Hermes and Avatar synced to single higher oxco clock of T+ but some clarification and terminology needed against current linked page .... cheers.

20210919_000022.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Dr.J said:

Does anyone know how the Denafrips Gaia compares to the Mutec MC3+USB, primarily with BNC/AES connections? 

The Coax output on the MC3+ Seems to have surprisingly high jitter. The AES output was quite a bit better though.

MC3+ Jitter (48khz AES Out):
48wm.png?resize=1024%2C707&ssl=1

Denafrips Gaia Jitter (48khz AES Out):
48khz-AES-wm.png?resize=1024%2C605&ssl=1

Coax output is a bit better:
48khz-Coax-WM.png?resize=1024%2C605&ssl=1

Gaia has quite notably lower jitter than the MC3+

Full posts:
https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/05/mutec-mc3-usb-ddc-reclocker-measurements/

https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/04/denafrips-gaia-measurements-with-terminator-clock-sync-test/

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

• 4 weeks later...

Advice needed on a Gaia.

Source is an Aurender N100C coaxial output not USB.

Denafrips Terminator (version 1)

Would a Gaia improve things?

I have two concerns. First am I paying dearly for something that won't be used and that is the synchronized clock function? Second since I have already eliminated the USB and have coaxial, have I won at least half the battle already?

Not interested in the less expensive options namely the Ires or Hermes as that isn't my style. My questions are about the Gaia, will I hear an improved sound?

Thanks in advance for you opinion.

Aurender N100C, Denafrips Terminator DAC, Herron line stage, Herron mono blocks, Tetra 606 speakers. Audio Sensibility power cords and interconnects, TEO Game Changer interconnects. Lehmann headphone amp and Focal Elear headphones.

System 1: Aurender N100C Music Server>Denafrips Terminator and Metrum Octave Mk II DAC>Herron Audio Preamplifier>Herron Mono Blocks>Tetra 606 Speakers. Audio Sensibility Statement power cords, interconnects and speaker cable. TEO Game Changers interconnects. Focal Elear headphones, Lehmann Headphone Amplifier.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, Blakcloud said:

Advice needed on a Gaia.

Source is an Aurender N100C coaxial output not USB.

Denafrips Terminator (version 1)

Would a Gaia improve things?

I have two concerns. First am I paying dearly for something that won't be used and that is the synchronized clock function? Second since I have already eliminated the USB and have coaxial, have I won at least half the battle already?

Not interested in the less expensive options namely the Ires or Hermes as that isn't my style. My questions are about the Gaia, will I hear an improved sound?

Thanks in advance for you opinion.

Aurender N100C, Denafrips Terminator DAC, Herron line stage, Herron mono blocks, Tetra 606 speakers. Audio Sensibility power cords and interconnects, TEO Game Changer interconnects. Lehmann headphone amp and Focal Elear headphones.

In my opinion Gaia would improve your system, even without clock sync.

I have experimented with my Gaia on two different streamers - Aurender N100H and Auralic Aries G1 and three different DACs - Denafrips Venus II, Simaudio Moon 380D dsd and Holo Audio Spring 3. In every possible combination I could always hear improvement with adding Gaia. I have tested coaxial output from Aries G1 and it worked with Gaia very well. I general, in my system Gaia brings calmness, better soundstage, tighter bass and more refined highs. The effect is slightly different on each output and each DAC, but it is always audible. Also used digital cables do make difference...

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

• 2 months later...

I just received a GAIA and now have it acting as the "gate keeper" between my HTPC's USB port and the I2S input of my Terminator +.  I am clocking the GAIA externally with the clock outputs from the T+ and using a sort of generic Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable handling the I2S connection.  Although I wouldn't describe it as a night and day change, I do notice a tasty improvement in the overall sound quality out of the T+ IMHO.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 1/16/2021 at 12:28 AM, richard_crl032 said:

Think dun need Taiko SMG Extreme or newer Antipodes K series ....

My Antipode CX and EX sounded worse via Gaia and Hermes ... direct USB to TP sound obviously better.

Allo USB bridge signature and Nuprime Omnia S1 both sounded better via Gaia/Hermes after another sgd3-4k of the ddc, zonotone shupreme pc and argentus hdmi/i2s.

Cheers.

Richard

Innos Statement also wun benefit with DCC here as with my oladra upgraded Antipodes cx/ex stack:

http://hifiknights.com/reviews/transports/denafrips-gaia/

YMMV applies as usual.

Cheers.

Screenshot_20220302-092112_Chrome.jpg

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones