IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

I have a decent fanless full linear ATX LPS powered W2019 Core Server usb out to TP. Added the Gaia in the chain then i2s out to the TP, now the Gaia is not going anywhere and here to stay after trying repeatedly the system with and without the Gaia.  

• 2 weeks later...

DDC.thumb.jpg.408874f9ebf311c5c5a8e7ff2f7ffa6b.jpg

Typical usage of the DDC / Reclocker 🗨️

Alvin Chee, Vinshine Audio Pte. Ltd (Singapore)

Setup: Roon · Hermes Reclocker · DENAFRIPS Terminator-Plus · DENAFRIPS Athena · Kinki Studio EX-B7 · Magico A3s

• 1 month later...

Noticed today in Euphony that it reported the USB input on Iris supported 1411 and 1536. Up sampled to 1411, worked fine, but the Iris doesn’t have a speed light to confirm. The 1536 didn’t work well, mixture of noise and music

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 hours ago, tylerhk said:

Anyone compared Gaia / Hermes with Mutec MC3+ usb and mind to share your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I compared half a year ago a Mutec MC3+usb with a Gustard U16 with a cheap DAC (SML SU-8 v2), headphones SR007mkII and amp Stax SRM 727mkII. All feed through a vaio Z laptop, I used different combinations of BNC cables (cheap from Amazon), expensive Toslink (Wireworld), expensive AES (Wireworld) and couple of USB cables (generic and accoustic revive). Basically I found no meaningful difference, I was not able to distinguish the Gustard from the Mutec. 

59 minutes ago, Cortes said:

I compared half a year ago a Mutec MC3+usb with a Gustard U16 with a cheap DAC (SML SU-8 v2), headphones SR007mkII and amp Stax SRM 727mkII. All feed through a vaio Z laptop, I used different combinations of BNC cables (cheap from Amazon), expensive Toslink (Wireworld), expensive AES (Wireworld) and couple of USB cables (generic and accoustic revive). Basically I found no meaningful difference, I was not able to distinguish the Gustard from the Mutec. 

None of this answered the question from @tylerhk

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

1 hour ago, Cortes said:

pretty much the vinyl equivalent of using a BIC turntable for source. Remember that this site was originally Computer Audiophile.... many of us have been on the journey for a while trying to do better than the low bar of off the shelf laptop/PC gear

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

4 minutes ago, davide256 said:

pretty much the vinyl equivalent of using a BIC turntable for source. Remember that this site was originally Computer Audiophile.... many of us have been on the journey for a while trying to do better than the low bar of off the shelf laptop/PC gear

Maybe, but IMO is more useful a data point than an opinion. 

Patience didn't last long....the Ares II is really nice, full bodied, detailed, good DAC section but the USB input on it sounds reticent in the treble, a bit soft/blurry

on transients. Adding the Iris DDC in is well worth the added cost if USB is your primary source, improves dynamics, transient clarity. Hard to put my finger

on why but the Ares II USB input sounded a bit euphonic on its own, with the Iris timbre of instruments sounds more natural.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread the Iris really appealed to me so I ordered one. The output was going to be AES/EBU of course…. Faith eventually led me to the jitter sensitive optical output of the Iris and it amazed me. All digital glare gone it seemed. I switched back and forth between the other outputs, but this is the one.

Haven’t posted for years but couldn’t resist sharing this. What’s going on here?

4 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

What’s going on here?

Sounds like the Iris does great things with jittter.  What is your dac, and what sample rates is the Iris dealing with?

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Sounds like the Iris does great things with jittter.  What is your dac, and what sample rates is the Iris dealing with?

My dac is an “old” AMR dp777SE. Bin tempted to update to Terminator several times and nothing’s stopping me, but I love the dp777. And I was actually hoping it’s not my dac nor the noise from my pc, but the Iris, so others can join these wonderful  evening listening sessions.

47 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I am chiming in on this thread because, IMO, the Denefrips Gaia can add value not only to Denefrips dacs, but other workflows/ dacs as well, and at various levels of performance/cost.

May as well get this out of the way: I stream and pass digital files from a Taiko Extreme, to a Chord Dave on an SJ DC4 power supply. Point being, it is already a resolving system for a digital workflow.

But, I want to by-pass the Dave's Amanero USB processing which I feel is not pulling its weight in the system. I tried one of the SRC converter boxes for dual BNC flow into Dave and HMS. *I don't like it.*

In my view, I prefer the Omega USB into the Gaia, and single SPDIF workflow into the Dave or the MScaler (this is an on-going test) over dual SPDIF via the SRC-DX box. NB: with the HMS I have Wave dual BNCs into Dave via the HMS.

I recognize this goes against the grain and the opinions largely held by others in the community. 

That said, the Gaia provides a very clean signal into the Dave (or HMS) and the sound is really quite good. Excellent detail and energy. 

I should note, there is a short interruption of the signal as the dac is trying to lock on to the signal when switching between Rebdbood and hi-res files when using the MScaler. I do not hear this direct to Dave. The SRC box was much worse handling workflow via HMS.

I had the MScaler out of my system for about two months. I added the Gaia, and pathed direct to Dave for about two weeks. Sounds awesome.

I just a few days ago added the HMS back into the flow, and am evaluating the experience. My initial reaction is: the Gaia may well make the MScaler unneeded in *my* system. 

If Denefrips (or other) develops a quality dual SPDIF workflow, I will be head of the line to try it with PGGB and "ordinary" files into Dave or HMS, but until then, the Denefrips Gaia offers an excellent option, even for non-Denefrips dac owners. Highly recommended. 

Mmm, sold  my IRIS because it won’t output 768 and that became important to me after I had bought it. Would be nice to see them make a FEMTO clocked DDC that was an alternative to the SRC-DX approach

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

@MarkusBarkus Nice report!  That is one exceptional system you have there.  

Home: Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers  | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12 

Home Office: IsoRegen+LPS1.2 | Denafrips Iris | Denafrips Venus 2 | Blue Circle Audio SBT preamp|  Eddie Current Zana Deux Super | Hifiman HE-1000SE | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Office:  Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE w/preamp module | Blue Circle Audio BC-28 amp | Raidho X-1 | REL T/5x sub

@Blake thank you for your kind words. I hesitated to post because such things can come across as self-serving gear-pimping.

That said, I thought it might be of use for people considering the Gaia or one of its cousins...that it brings value even to a fairly well-sorted workflow. 

I actually tried it with different USB and SPDIF cables, including a pre-Black Cat label cable  about 25 yrs. old. It was excellent across the board.

A real god alternative to Iris is the Singxer SU-2. The possible benefit with SU-2, is the option to add an external clock, which I think contributed quite nice. 

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'm going to buy a Gustard X16 dac and it have i2s hdmi digital input, I want to know If this dac is compatible with denafrips ddc like Gaia, so, my question is: i2s hdmi  Gaia output is compatible with Gustard i2s hdmi input?

Thankyou.

4 hours ago, Symbose said:

Hi

I'm going to buy a Gustard X16 dac and it have i2s hdmi digital input, I want to know If this dac is compatible with denafrips ddc like Gaia, so, my question is: i2s hdmi  Gaia output is compatible with Gustard i2s hdmi input?

Thankyou.

You best bet is to get the pinout for the Gustard and then email Alvin at Vineshine. He is great to work with.

You can also download the manual for the Gaia or Hermes and checkout their pinout combinations. The good news about the Hermes and the Gaia is that when using the I2S HDMI connection you can change the pinout by just using front panel button combinations in "setup" mode.

BTW. Alvin recommended the Hermes for my Terminator 2 so it might be a better choice for your Gustard unless you plan to move up to a much more expensive DAC later.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Parameter Settings:
(1) I2S Pinout Configuration
1. Press the Setup button once to enter configuration mode
2. Press the COAX button momentarily, 48K 96K 192K LED will turn on/off in a fixed
pattern to denote binary 000-111
3. Press the Setup button once to confirm the setting and exit configuration mode.

https://3beb070f-8ca8-434d-b6b3-76002990adfa.filesusr.com/ugd/4b933e_96c677f1c45440a39b4a44fcb6f856be.pdf

Ok, Gustard x16 i2s is not compatible out of the box with Gaia i2s, but I can setup Gaia to work in same pinout configuration of Gustard, I just saw the manual and the right pinout is the pin mode 5 (101).

Thankyou.